Search results

1. SpeedyRodent

Review and Measurements of Audio-gd NFB-27.38 DAC and Headphone Amplifier

Not surprised. This DAC probably is not defective. From my experience Audio GD stuff in general is pretty bad. Most of the DAC's I have heard from this company have audible differences that can be picked out. I usually cannot pick apart DAC's. The worst was a dac using NOS 1704 chips that had a...
  2. SpeedyRodent

Is Your O2 amplifier The Real McCoy

I wonder if massdrop ever addressed the issue. It is too bad they are not building to spec if true. IIRC JDS Labs builds to spec and drilled out a few of the holes on the pcb so the alternate power jack fits. Years ago, I did my share of modding the O2. I built one with +/- 15v rails to handle...
  3. SpeedyRodent

DAC/Amp Recommendation

If the usb receiver in the dac is powered independently, there should be no issue. If the usb receiver/dac depends on power from the source (ipad/iphone), a externally powered usb hub might be needed depending on the power draw from the DAC. I believe the DX7s is listed as compatible with iOS...
  4. SpeedyRodent

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

For $250, this definitely sets the bar. I wonder how much a run of the mill wall wart smps will degrade performance.
  5. SpeedyRodent

Review and Measurements of Bryston BDA-2 DAC

I read your other post mentioning that. It is pretty impressive for a company like Topping especially considering they sell lower priced products. I wonder if they still measure every device given their sales volume must have increased.
  6. SpeedyRodent

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

The original Sennheiser Orpheus HE90 which I believe was released in 1991. Aside from Stax, this is one of the older headphones that came with their own amp. The design and look of this headphone reminds me a lot of the HD580/600/650...
  7. SpeedyRodent

Review and Measurements of Bryston BDA-2 DAC

lol. It definitely is bigger and heavier. The BDA-2 also lacks DSD support so the DX7s has a feature advantage over the Bryston. Bryston is an interesting company. I purchased Bryston stuff in the past and have nothing but good things to say about my purchasing experiences. When I ordered the...
  8. SpeedyRodent

If you only need the headphone amp, the JDS Labs EL AMP is essentially the Element without the DAC. Both the Element and EL Amp are good choices over the O2. JDS labs sometimes has "B-Stock" for a bit cheaper. Probably not a issue with the DX7 but the O2 does not pair well with sources above...
  9. SpeedyRodent

Interesting results. Topping may have increased the voltage gain to the headphone amp. I wonder if the noise floor or thd+n increased at all at the headphone output. From my experience, too much voltage gain makes it hard to use with sensitive and low impedance headphone's. They should have made...
  10. SpeedyRodent

Unabashed Beyerdynamic A2 Knockoff

Honestly, I would probably stay away from this amp. You can tell obvious differences from the pictures. I also looked up this amp on Ali-Express to get a better idea of what is inside. There are issues like the 3 pin on the IEC connector not being grounded to the chassis. Who knows what other...
  11. SpeedyRodent

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Does Topping really test every device on the analyzer?
  12. SpeedyRodent

Unabashed Beyerdynamic A2 Knockoff

The Beyerdynamic A2 is a fairly nice headphone amp. The msrp price is somewhere in the range of $1600+US. No idea how good of quality of this particular clone is. The problem with clones is it is common to use lower quality components. Also, it is hard to tell how good they cloned the pcb. The...
  13. SpeedyRodent

Measuring Guitars

Gibson has been going downhill for years. The "Gibson group" is much larger than the guitar company most people know them for. This group owns well known companies like TEAC, Cerwin Vega, Onkyo and various others. Where this company stumbled financially is they loaded up on too much debt due to...
  14. SpeedyRodent

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Nice to see another well performing dac in the lower price range. Might be worth mentioning, this dac supports MQA. I have no interest in MQA myself, but this good budget option for those that want this feature.
  15. SpeedyRodent

Topping DX7 DAC & Headphone Amplifier Review and Measurements

Here is the information. This mod came from nwavguy himself. He went by a different user name on other forums. Part: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/laird-signal-integrity-products/HI0805O121R-10/240-2393-1-ND/806753 Source...
  16. SpeedyRodent

It will be interesting to see if a 2 ohm or 5 ohm resistor is enough to keep the TPA 6120 stable. I've heard of DIY'ers using ferrites while keeping to 10 ohm series resister in place. This essentially lowers the output impedance to near zero. IIRC, I was told the measured trade off is slight...
  17. SpeedyRodent

Furch Guitars at Purité Audio

Nice! How do they play? What are your thoughts on the different tone wood combinations?
  18. SpeedyRodent

Any chance you can tell us if the D50 have XLR outputs?
  19. SpeedyRodent

Review and Measurements of Chord Hugo 2 DAC and Headphone Amplifier

Out of curiosity I took a look at the specs on Chord's website. The Hugo 2 is listed to have an output impedance of 0.025Ω. I wonder how they measured/calculated it. Source: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo-2/
Top Bottom