Search results

1. Sgt. Ear Ache

Celebrity RIP Thread

RIP Joe Flaherty. A very funny guy...
  2. Sgt. Ear Ache

What (most) Chinese manufacturers don't get

I like the look of all my Topping stuff just fine. I absolutely love the sound quality, which is even more important. I'm not paying more for a product that has worse measured performance (yes, even if I can't hear the better performance) just because it's not Chinese or has a nicer box. As...
  3. Sgt. Ear Ache

1More Sonoflow NC Headphone Review

Did you say night and day?! :D
  4. Sgt. Ear Ache

I'm amazed that I can't find a thread discussing this

exactly. By no means should anyone see the fact that Amir, a person who's been trained to note very particular artifacts, can under carefully-controlled conditions identify something like that as proof that they themselves can identify the same thing while they are listening to their car stereo...
  5. Sgt. Ear Ache

what we can extrapolate from it is that you have to work pretty damn hard to make really notable audible differences with equipment other than speakers. You aren't going to do it by buying more expensive speaker wiring or a boutique usb cable.
  6. Sgt. Ear Ache

I've linked to this on many occasions in threads here over the past few years. It's one of my favorites...
  7. Sgt. Ear Ache

Zen and the art of listening!

When I'm alone listening to music "seriously" it's with headphones on and eyes closed. But of course every once in a while thoughts creep in...
  8. Sgt. Ear Ache

Ken Fritz - Audiophile Documentary

but, he also threw money at the system right? Like, a million dollars? It's great that he designed and built it himself, but it's an audio system. It's built to play his records on. Saying he "doesn't care about the sound" really sounds like a cop out to me...a way to get around criticism...
  9. Sgt. Ear Ache

What's your normal listening distance and db level at that distance at home?

I sit roughly 7 feet from the speakers and listen generally at 70-75dbs. That volume is loud enough that I start to worry about bothering the neighbors in my apartment. Certainly louder than the amount of volume I get from my acoustic guitar...
  10. Sgt. Ear Ache

High frecuencies

honestly, unless your hearing has gotten unusually bad with age and you can't hear below 12khz or something you probably don't need to worry about it. I can only hear up to about 14khz but I don't do anything to boost frequencies above that in my system and I don't note any drop in high...
  11. Sgt. Ear Ache

Ken Fritz - Audiophile Documentary

It's sort of the ultimate realization of the audiophile mythology - if you want better sound, throw more money at your system and you'll get better sound. There's no doubt Ken got "bigger" sound for his money. But that doesn't necessarily mean better sound. I've been to a lot of concerts over...
  12. Sgt. Ear Ache

Does everybody here know how to read measurements /graphs?

Standard frequency spectrums I can read and interpret pretty easily really. Some of the "deeper" speaker measurements (directional stuff and reflections and so forth) are less clear, but I can figure them out ok...
  13. Sgt. Ear Ache

1More Sonoflow NC Headphone Review

I'm quite certain it does yes. I think when I was trying to figure that out myself I did a few tests where I set dramatically different EQ profiles in the app (such as turning everthing above 1000hz way down) and then listened on other devices and the profile was still obviously in effect.
  14. Sgt. Ear Ache

Why can't we just ignore inane audio threads?

I didn't ask for links to threads where people claim to be able to hear differences between stuff. Those are all over the place. I asked for links to people (and more specifically, "ASR people" as opposed to just new members or whatever) saying one dac should be purchased over another based...
  15. Sgt. Ear Ache

I read a little bit back. I don't even see SINAD mentioned at all...sorry.
  16. Sgt. Ear Ache

I've lost track of what it is we're even discussing.
  17. Sgt. Ear Ache

I wouldn't particularly argue with that...unless again we're talking about some sort of stratospherically poor sinad. I mean if the sinad is bad enough, the FR isn't going to matter really.
  18. Sgt. Ear Ache

Well ok...I'd be willing to bet there was more at play than just the 1.5dbs of sinad though.
Top Bottom