Search results

1. Tom C

Anyone in the mood to talk guitar amps?

I first learned to play in high school, played jazz ensemble in college, but then put the instrument down to pursue career and family. Now that’s mostly over, and I’d like to pick up a few instruments I could never afford when I was young and broke. A lot has changed since the early 1980’s...
  2. Tom C

Apple Music via Android on Chromium OS

So, I gather that Google publishes Chrome OS only for Google hardware. But Chromium OS is open source, and capable of running Android apps. So, a person should be able to load all this onto a Windows type PC (booted to Chromium, and not Windows, of course) and then load the Apple Music for...
  3. Tom C

Harman flagship store in NYC has closed it’s doors

I’m in town for a few days on vacation, see a few shows and the sights. Thought I’d drop over to 527 Madison to hear what I could hear. The place was empty! There was a little piece of paper in the window saying they’ve moved to Soho on Houston. That store actually opened a couple years ago...
  4. Tom C

Microsoft Surface Pro 2017 SP5 went kaput

Listening to Qobuz the other day, stream suddenly failed, got error message, had to reboot, tried step one, then two, then three. Finally got to “send in for service.” Who are they kidding? This is quite effectively, most deliberately and most certainly designed specifically to be not...
  5. Tom C

Exclusive mode from web based players

Hello, The question: Does anybody know how to run audio out of a web browser in exclusive mode, or know of some other work around for getting sample rates to change automatically to match a stream's native sample rate and bit depth? The use setting: I have a few outdated PC's and tablets...
  6. Tom C

Can I load piCorePlayer onto an old Mac Mini?

I recently tried piCorePlayer on Raspberry Pi, and so far really like how it’s working. I’d buy a couple more, but everyones sold out right now, due to supply issues. So in the meantime, I’d like to try installing onto an old Mac Mini that I don’t use anyway, because it’s so sluggish and won’t...
  7. Tom C

Fact or Crap? There is no replacement for displacement.

The topic comes up from time to time in discussions of speaker reviews. Rather than contribute to derailing of a review thread, thought I’d post here. Can a 5-in mid/bass driver, properly implemented in a well designed system, eq’d and level matched, produce output that is audibly...
  8. Tom C

What are Amir's Volume Settings for a Product Review?

I've sometimes wondered how volume control settings correspond to the levels Amir shows his measurements at. So, like when we look at the dashboard for a balanced output DAC test and see 4 volts out, SINAD -119dB, is that at maximum volume, or just turn the dial until output reads 4 volts, and...
  9. Tom C

IK Media ARC3

I'm looking to get more serious about room correction, but I've been procrastinating for a long time because I hate endless fiddling that ends in hopeless frustration. I'm not looking forward to the learning curve for manual systems, and don't look forward to repeating the process for several...
  10. Tom C

JBL EON 610 vs. 612 vs. 615

I am planning a sound system to add to my workout room, dimensions are about 14ft x 14 ft, with 8 ft ceiling. Ultimate in fidelity is not the goal. Rather, good enough fidelity with volume level sufficient to overcome treadmill noise is the aim. I’m thinking the JBL Eon 61x series fills the...
  11. Tom C

TRS vs XLR

I am trying to refine my media set up, and have an elementary technical question. Is there any expected qualitative difference between balanced TRS and balanced XLR interconnects? The reason I ask is that I am considering a patch bay, and TRS has a cost and space advantage over XLS. I also...
  12. Tom C

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Seems there are now a growing number of us, so thought this might be helpful. Received mine about two weeks ago. Got an HDPlex case and put together a Windows 10 PC specifically dedicated to audio playback. Using JRiverMC and the ASIO driver made available to me by Pavel of Okto Research...
  13. Tom C

400 Watt Power Amp Recommendations

I've been slogging through the NCore, Purifi, and ICEPower threads and my head is spinning. Short story, I'm looking for a power amp to pair with Paradigm Persona 3F, and Okto 8 Pro DAC. Amir measures about 3 volts or so max out of the Okto. Speaker is rated at nominal 8 ohm, 200 watts...
  14. Tom C

FAT32 for large flash drive

I’ve got a Denon AVR that’s about ten years old. It will play music files via a front panel USB port that will accept a flash drive, but requires the drive to use the FAT or FAT32 filesystem. I found an inexpensive 1T flash drive I’d like to use. The drive formatting tool included in Windows...
  15. Tom C

What flavor PI?

Hello, We're doing some remodeling to our 45 year-old house, and after moving the furniture where my wife wants it, my main PC is no longer next to my main 2-channel system. It has a preamp with built in DAC that can accept optical digital, coax digital, or USB. I have an ASIO driver from the...
  16. Tom C

Oscilloscope vs. Analogmajik

I’d like to get a higher degree of precision in my cartridge alignment, and am wondering if anyone has experience using a ‘scope versus software like Analogmajik or Feickert.
  17. Tom C

Settings for JBL 306P

Just picked up a pair. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to set the volume knob?
Top Bottom