Search results

1. S

The worst thing about being an audiophile

The worst thing about being an audiophile is... having your right ear completely clogged up so you can't hear much through it, paired with ringing in your right ear. Can't enjoy music at all now :( Going for 9 days now, ugh. Going to an ENT tomorrow, hoping they can help resolve this. Did...
  2. S

DIY Triggered Input Switch

Continuing from the earlier thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/relays-that-are-audiophile-grade.26956/ I have completed design of the enclosure to use for this project. Pictures below. Will attempt to take measurements with my Motu M4 this week and will post...
  3. S

Relays that are "audiophile" grade

I plan on building my own auto-switching input selector, which will use a 12V trigger signal to switch between my AVR or Streamer+DAC sources, which then get fed to my poweramp. The reason I'm doing this is that off the shelf solutions are either too expensive, or purely manual. And since I'm...
  4. S

When is a DAC or Amp audibly transparent?

At what SINAD and other metrics can we consider a DAC or Amp audibly transparent? I know we want a well engineered device, but at what threshold can you no longer hear a difference (even for very trained ears)?
  5. S

DIY Streamer

Hi all, I want to build a simple DIY streamer, preferably with integrated DAC, for use on my home network to stream from my NAS (primarily), but perhaps to also have Spotify functionality and perhaps other streaming services. I saw the Open Source Streamer project here, but looks like that...
  6. S

Best cheap USB-C headphone dongles?

I'm considering getting a new Samsung Galaxy S21 series phone. These of course no longer have headphone jacks. I already have the Hidizs S8, which I'm very happy with, but I want to get a few cheap backup dongles to store with my various headphones, in case I forget to the bring the Hidizs S8...
  7. S

Good open-back ~$200-ish headphone?

I'm looking for a good open-back $200-ish headphone, with a neutralish sound-signature. It needs to be super comfortable where I can wear it for extended periods, and I'll use it for playing games and some music listening. Because of the games aspect, great imaging is important. Soundstage...
  8. S

Does sample rate conversion affect sound quality?

I've been wondering if sample rate conversion will affect sound quality. For example, if you're using a Denon receiver with Audyssey enabled, any digital music being streamed through the Denon with a sample rate > 48 khz will be down sampled to 48 khz. Will this affect how it sounds? Also...
  9. S

Good quality RCA > XLR cables

I'm looking for suggestions for good quality RCA to XLR cables. I know these will by definition be unbalanced, but looking for ones that are wired correctly and use high quality connectors, such as from Neutrik. No snake oil :)
  10. S

Balanced DAC around ~$500 with 12V trigger out and remote

I'm looking for a DAC with balanced output, 12V trigger out and a remote control for use with a 2 channel power amp. Ideally one that measures well of course :) Looking through the reviews here it seems that most DACs do not have 12V trigger outs. I want this feature as I would use it to...
  11. S

Streamer/DAC with Dirac

Which streamer + DAC combos are out there that also have Dirac Live built in? I know of the MiniDSP SHD, which was reviewed by Amir and measures well. Are there any others out there? I guess an alternative would be to build a miniPC running Windows and install Dirac Live Studio, and use a...
  12. S

How to mix AVR + External DAC + 2ch amp?

Alright, So given the mediocre state of AVRs across the board, as Amir has demonstrated with his measurements, what solutions are there to keep your AVR (I have a Yamaha A2070) but add a good external DAC/Streamer + a good 2 channel amp for music listening? For movies I'm not as concerned...
  13. S

DAC/Amp combo for ~$400

So I'm looking for a good DAC/Amp combo for around $400 - $500 Must haves: - low impedance single-end headphone out - balanced line out for powered speakers (XLR) - main volume control will control both headphones (when plugged in) or speakers - good Windows 10 drivers that allow for problem...
Top Bottom