Search results

1. T.J. Turner

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

I'm not sure how the volume is supposed to work, but coming from -99db, -25db does seem a bit high. Compared to my THX 887, I never went above %50 on high gain and never went above %70 on low gain. With the DX7 pro I find myself at about %80 on high gain. But it's all relative I guess.
  2. T.J. Turner

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Speaking of the Focal Elex, I'm curious about them with this amp. The single ended output is rather weak? With somethings like chilled out music or this Born Free John Barry soundtrack I'm listening to now I really have to crank it to -25- 20 on High gain in order for the music to sound engaging.
  3. T.J. Turner

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

I stick with -20dB. Anything greater and some of my equipment gets distortion. (THX789, Parasound HINT amp)
  4. T.J. Turner

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

You usually don't get great performance from something cheap. Your system is likely to be bottle necked somewhere. The CCA is very limited compared to other streamers. Is it still maxed at 96khz? The last review I saw for it mentioned that the optical out has clock jitter that does effect the...
  5. T.J. Turner

Oh no I wasn't questioning your equipment. My response is countering GordonParet's post about comparing a $35 product with others that cost thousands of dollars. While I was replying to your questions I had in mind that you would already know that such an extreme comparison would be ridiculous...
  6. T.J. Turner

That is an unfair comparison. The Node 2i is much more than a Chromecast Audio, in design, build and features. @Triumph_900 I assume you understand that you can't hook up your Matrix dac to a toy and still expect the same results. Everything is relative.
  7. T.J. Turner

Basically yes. The streamer is just passing a digital signal from one interface to another. The DAC is doing all the processing.
  8. T.J. Turner

Speaking of signal noise. The original review measured the SNR at 88dB. I owned the Node 2 and 2i for several years and I never heard any audible noise. Have any of you?
  9. T.J. Turner

If you are outputting by Coax from your Node 2i, then it's your Matrix Audio X that's doing most of the work. The only thing to note is that the Node 2 is not outputting MQA to your Marix. The Node 2 only handles MQA with its own internal DAC. Using another streamer in the same fashion is not...
  10. T.J. Turner

Amazon Music HD

LOL, Um which of the other desktop apps for hi res streaming use remote playback? I have Qobuz and I know that one doesn't, and neither did Tidal or Deezer when I had them. What did you cancel it in favor of?
  11. T.J. Turner

(from my earlier post #89) Yes I can confirm that the digital coax supports 192k output. All the issues the reviewer found in the digital output was from a bad toslink connection. The coax output is fine.
  12. T.J. Turner

There have been many firmware updates to the C656 since those early reviews that have adressed most of the major issues. So you arent technically listening to the same product as the early reviewers.
  13. T.J. Turner

All the early reviews are based on earlier firmware builds. And most of the negative comments are from people who read those reviews and quickly formed opinions. I got mine as open box around Jan 2019 The firmware was 3.2 something and I had technical issues the moment I tried to play the first...
  14. T.J. Turner

I haven't experienced any freezes. Are you listening to local music or an online service?
  15. T.J. Turner

Well the kernel and audio libraries and DAC tuning is primarily what I was looking at. I wondered if they would produce different test results.
  16. T.J. Turner

The c658 just got a major update. Has anyone noticed any differences? BluOS 3.10.0. Released August 18, 2020. • Support for TIDAL My Mix. • Updated kernel libraries. • New grouping synchronization. • More robust WiFi drivers. • Updated audio libraries. • DAC tuning. • Improvements for network...
  17. T.J. Turner

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

The best thing about this amp, is that there is no ridiculously bright LED. Like with other Schiit products.
  18. T.J. Turner

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

That is a good point about aesthetics. I've paid premium prices for certain components just because I thought it would match others. Like when I was going for a all Silver component phase. If I did buy a black Modius it would only be cause it matches my THX 887 amp better than the SU-8. The only...
  19. T.J. Turner

Well it was the other way around. The comment was about using the included power supply for the best result as Amir had tested it. It was when the Youtube reviewer used a ifi power supply that he noted the quality deminished.
  20. T.J. Turner

I would pair this with my THX AAA 887, but the dimensions are awkward. The Modius is 1/2 too wide and 2 inches too short. My OCD would kick me. BTW one reviewer on Youtube mentioned that sound quality diminishes, when you use a power supply other than the one that's included. Could there be...
Top Bottom