Search results

1. S

Esoteric Mac Mini M1 query: DTS 5.1 music via USB

I've been using a 2014 Mac Mini (8GB i5) as server for quite a while, but these days it struggles at the best of times and struggles even more now I am using Roon. A new M1 is an obvious upgrade. What is kind of holding me back is that I have a reasonable collection (1000 tracks or so) of DTS...
  2. S

Bang & Olufson active speakers.

Since I no longer have a dedicated listening room in our new house, I’ve been on a longish quest to find speakers that sound good and are aesthetically acceptable to my wife (and me) in our lounge. My DIY dipoles sound great, but look weird and have been banished to my study. In the family...
  3. S

EQing in stereo vs Eqing in mono

Like most (I believe) I have always measured my speakers one channel at a time and then EQed that channel as needed. This holds true whether I do it manually via REW and a MiniDSP, or automatically via Anthem ARC (or Dirac/Audyssey/whatever). However, this article makes a considerable amount...
  4. S

Measuring and EQing non-monopole surround speakers.

I've recently found a way to overcome Apple's annoying tendency to remove features I like and play the many DTS 5.1 surround files (native and SACD down-mixes) I have on my server. This has rekindled my interest in surrounds. In a decent room I'd just use monopoles similar to my mains (in my...
  5. S

Multi-sub using full range speakers - how to measure.

A little while ago I side-graded by swapping an excellent bookshelf speaker with great bass extension (KEF R3) for excellent floor-standers (Davone Solos - think Revel F208 with prettier cabinets). Thanks to generous boundary reinforcement, the Davones (via a few EQ peak cuts) are flat to below...
  6. S

Same drivers, different speakers, and secret sauces.

I recently spent more loot than I've ever shelled before on a used pair of Davone Solos, basically because they look cool. https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3007-davone-solo The manufacturer is coy almost to the point of deception but internet sleuthing reveals they have the...
  7. S

Logic versus emotion: Davone Solo purchase

In spite of being a died in the wool objectivist, and in spite of owning one of the objectivist’s Holy Grail speakers (KEF 201/2), I just bought a set of Davone Solos just because they look gorgeous. Fortunately they also measure very well, but I probably would have bought them anyway and just...
  8. S

Quick KEF R3 vs Reference 201/2 vs LS50 measurements

I've always wanted to try the KEF Reference 201/2 due to the superb measurements from Stereophile and Soundstage, so on a whim snapped up a pair to compare to my R3s and LS50s. I didn't do full measurements due to an angry wife, but managed to sneak in a quick set using my Anthem ARC. Thus the...
  9. S

LS50 vs LS50W measurements (r300 vs R3 too)

I've been looking for comparative measurements for the popular KEF bookshelves and finally found basic ones on the German Stereo magazine site. Thought folks here might find them interesting too.
  10. S

Speaker conundrum. DIY OB or used Coax.

For the past 15 years or so I have had DIY dipoles, mostly Orion based. Prior (and interspersed) fancy names like Wilson, Genesis, Apogee. Alas, we’ve moved and my wife is nixing my nice sounding but industrial looking DIY dipoles. She has allowed me to placeholder with LS50s and my trusty...
Top Bottom