Search results

1. M

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

I find this to be one of the more grotesque things I have ever seen. It is not inherently ugly, but in understanding materials, and developing what I consider to be refined taste in my years, appreciation of subtlety, and sense of hierarchy of quality as related to materials and design, this...
  2. M

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Different strokes for different folks...
  3. M

Group Delay 101

I appreciate your explanation Don as it is pretty straight forward and has been a somewhat difficult concept for me to grasp. Is the variable m the negative derivative of the slope? In addition something that is curious -- a speaker like the Meyer Sound Bluehorn touts having a flat frequency...
  4. M

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

"Let's hope the company knows more about safe AC design now than it did then." I would prefer if PS Audio and the likes would go out of business. On the couple occasions I've stumbled upon PS Audio's founder Paul McGowan rambling about something "technical" it's like listening to a patronizing...
  5. M

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

I received one of these today and am very please. I've been comparing various drivers over the past couple months for a two or three way pair of speakers that I'm building. The most notable of these drivers have been the Beyma CP755ND, GPA 288, and Celestion Axi2050. Prior to today I was using a...
  6. M

Electrostatic speakers?

I visited the factory to hear a pair of Amie monitors which I was considering purchasing at the time. The room they and the Blue Horns were in was treated extensively and thus utterly reflection free -- like an anechoic chamber and likely mimicking a recording studio at Skywalker sound and the...
  7. M

Danley Sound Labs SH50

Assuming you're sitting at the center of the horn you're listening to the woofers off axis and reflected. The diagram below while it looks nice isn't indicative of how the sound waves are actually propagating from flanking woofers in my understanding. I like that this design is coaxial and seems...
  8. M

Electrostatic speakers?

I think the assumption is that an electrostatic dipole achieves greater control of the transducer compared with a magnet based design. The symmetrical/equal nature of a dipole electrostatic panel is where I derive this assumption. I would bet that mylar is capable or 'ringing' like any other...
  9. M

Electrostatic speakers?

In a tubes vs transistors white paper on Roger Sanders's website he mentions constant switching on and off of an input signal associated with protection circuitry as a sonic disadvantage. I can't speak to whether this is true or not however it makes sense to me...
  10. M

Electrostatic speakers?

This makes sense to me and is similar to the logical assumption that a low mass conventional driver will yield better detail. Do you have any waterfall plots for the electrostatic section of your speakers? I would be curious to see how they compare with a driver such as this one...
  11. M

Electrostatic speakers?

"There’s little point in elaborating the intricacies of membrane design here because you can simply look at the frequency response graph. If a driver’s response is smooth and continues a long way, it’s ‘fast’." A Beyma 15P80Fen 15" woofer with a moving mass of just 88g is ~flat to 3khz. Similar...
  12. M

Electrostatic speakers?

Hi Jazzman53, I've admired seeing your speaker builds over the years and reading your very knowledgeable insights. In the latest iteration, how do your speakers fare playing loud volumes and also handling dynamics? Is there a max spl spec for these speakers? In addition, is there a disadvantage...
  13. M

Electrostatic speakers?

I share your experience going from electrostats to high efficiency horns. I too at one point owned a pair of Acoustat X servo tube driven electrostats. (Before) and after upgrading every last component in those amplifiers for stability and simplifying the circuit, those were excellent speakers...
  14. M

BEYMA 12XA30ND 12" Coaxial Driver Impressions

Here's a photo of my setup: I did a direct comparison today between the Genelecs and the Beymas in the same room. The initial observation is that the Genelecs are outstanding given their size. And the placement with windows behind them isn't optimal. The Genelecs produced substantially more...
  15. M

Looks quite nice. It's expensive compared with what I've got going though you're paying for the fit and finish of a hifi product. I'm sure it will perform very well if you opt to go that route.
  16. M

Both I think. The fanciest tower speaker I've heard was a Kharma Enigma Veyron 1D or one generation prior, the biggest one. It sounded quite good. The arrangement of the drivers is pseudo coaxial perhaps contributing to my liking it. I cant imagine the diamond tweeter tech or whatever it was is...
  17. M

JBL Control X Review (Indoor/Outdoor Speaker)

Oh. I have perceived a bias. Not my business as to whether that's a bad or a good thing. Just curious. They seem to produce good stuff.
Top Bottom