Search results

1. Scott Borduin

JBL 708i Monitor Review (DSP: Part 2)

Even for some residential applications, this is the primary advantage of the passive version. In my room, I use a total of 15 705i surround speakers augmenting my Salon2/Voice2 LCR using a JBL SDP-75 (re-badged Trinnov Altitude) controller - which provides the necessary DSP filters. The 705i...
  2. Scott Borduin

Review Questions for Flagship Processors: Trinnov, Storm, JBL, Lyngdorf, Datasat

I wouldn't say I've followed the subject comprehensively, but Harman's ARCOS system is very advanced at creating optimally flat responses across a range of listening positions and then integrating them with satellite speakers using a combination of delay and phase. But ARCOS is not an end user...
  3. Scott Borduin

Review Questions for Flagship Processors: Trinnov, Storm, JBL, Lyngdorf, Datasat

If you're not intimidated by tech, you definitely can get up and running without consulting. The manual is freely available online: https://www.trinnov.com/site/assets/files/1219/al32_usman_14_10_19_he_0001_sd.pdf I set mine up and calibrated it myself and used it that way for a couple of...
  4. Scott Borduin

StormAudio ISP 16 MK2 Review (AV Processor)

For context, I can't speak to the Storm, as I don't own one. I do own a JBL SDP-75, the Harman variant of the Trinnov. I've previously owned high-end examples of any number of DACs and processors - Berkeley Alpha DAC, Meridian 861, etc. I also used Acourate for several years. I would never...
  5. Scott Borduin

However well the Trinnov does or does not measure as a DAC, there is no question that the IP you pay for is primarily in the software, not the hardware. It is an amazingly versatile signal processing device, so much so that you really need professional consulting to really understand how to get...
  6. Scott Borduin

As a JBL SDP-75 owner (JBL version of Trinnov), it will be interesting but irrelevant to see how it measures when used as a traditional DAC/ADC/Preamp. Given the overall complexity of the system, it is likely to be measure in the mediocre range at very best and very possibly worse than that -...
  7. Scott Borduin

Trinnov Altitude / JBL SDP-75

Can someone post a picture of the Harman target curve? My dealer keeps "forgetting" to load it on my unit ...
  8. Scott Borduin

Yes, particularly with stereo music upmixed to Auro3D via Automatic. I listen to a lot of classical music, and in many cases the immersive quality from upmixed stereo rivals good multichannel recordings. And multichannel recordings also benefit significantly from upmixing if you have dedicated...
  9. Scott Borduin

That is great news, as I will be able to take the Minidsp out of my system and independently drive my 4 subs directly from the SDP-75. I use Multi Sub Optimizer to determine PEQ and delay for each sub, it is remarkably effective in my case. Overall the SDP-75 is the best investment I've ever...
  10. Scott Borduin

MQA, DSP and "sound quality"

A question about the room affected and transition regions: when trying to correct, should one aggressively EQ up to the chosen frequency, e.g. 500 Hz, or gradually reduce the correction as one approaches that frequency? As I interpret the documentation for the Trinnov/JBL SDP-75, for instance...
  11. Scott Borduin

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition: a report

I had seen pictures of this room before, and I am envious of both its size and visual aesthetic. And I appreciate your willingness to share details. Our media room is a modest 20 x 14 x 9, hence my preference for the more compact 705i surrounds. And bass trapping is an absolute must for me -...
  12. Scott Borduin

Agreed, BACCH is pretty sophisticated at promoting themselves compared to most academic spinouts I have experience with. On the other hand, very unlike other academic spinouts I've experenced, they are also better at customer support than any other high end company I've dealt with. In any case...
  13. Scott Borduin

Also, Dr. Toole, your observations in your latest book on the subject of envelopment led to this thread here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/envelopment-toole-multichannel-binaural.2372/ Thanks for that! Scott
  14. Scott Borduin

Hi Dr. Toole, thanks for joining the discussion and I hope we hear more from you here! Your work has been invaluable to me personally and the community at large, even though some of them don't know it :) For reference, here is a paper from Dr. Edgar Choeuri, the Princeton professor who led the...
  15. Scott Borduin

I started writing a lengthy report on BACCH, then it got lost in browser-land somehow. Fortunately, you've already summarized a lot of my subjective observations very well! Some further points: - My big concern with BACCH before I heard it was the possibility of another version of Floyd Toole's...
  16. Scott Borduin

My observations are somewhat delayed due to temporary turbulence in my listening situation. Due to an adult son being home for the duration of his schooling at least, I've lost access to my more spacious dedicated music listening room, and now am using my dual-purpose media/home theater room. I...
  17. Scott Borduin

I got my orientation session with Dr. Choeiri on Monday, but given my work schedule have had minimal time to listen this week. What I have heard is indeed "stunning and addictive". I am going to have more time to listen this weekend, and have already started taking notes, so a much more lengthy...
  18. Scott Borduin

MQA Bad For Music

There is also another in the series of MQA articles by Jim Austin in Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-contextualized Unlike his previous two articles, this one does not attempt to do technical analysis, a good thing since Austin seemed out of his depth on the technical side...
  19. Scott Borduin

MQA Bad For Music

Just like there is some alcohol in fermented corn mash, there just might be some real technical content in that article - but it will take some triple distillation before most of us can really get the flavor :) Moncrieff does seem to agree with the claim that MQA has a very fast impulse...
Top Bottom