Search results

1. nyxnyxnyx

Just how legit is this person's blind test results?

Purr1n from SBAF posted a thread about his own blind test process ( https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/blind-test-part-deux-schiit-heretic-vs-magni-with-statistical-analysis.13192/ ). From the look of it he attempted to recreate Amir's testing condition, so at least that's...
  2. nyxnyxnyx

The direct and profound benefits of high-power amplifiers?

Hello everyone! Today I thought about headamps and how much available power is a deciding factor. Both audiophiles and objective-fellas seem to agree that power is 'essential' for transducers, Amir even stated his standard for a 300ohm load is at least 100mW. So to my knowledge, I understand...
  3. nyxnyxnyx

How can the "Analogue section" of a DAC decide or affect the total quality of that DAC?

The common argument I've heard about DACs from both objective people and full-blown audiophile folks are something like "well, it's not important what the dac chip is, it's more about how the company designs the analog output/section of it." I've heard that line in similar variations from time...
  4. nyxnyxnyx

materials to understand headphones better?

First of all, I apologize if similar threads were created prior to this, I used the search function but did not see any. I am a headphones enthusiast. I have tried many, from some people would laugh at (dt990, grados...) to widely appreciated models (hd650, arya, hd800s....). It's easy to read...
  5. nyxnyxnyx

How do I know which Class/Topology an amplifier is and uses?

Like many other enthusiasts in this hobby, I don't know much when it comes to practical knowledge and technical features. I see that class A is highly praised in the audiophile circle (despite having read why other classes have their advantages too), but when there are other amplifiers that are...
  6. nyxnyxnyx

What makes a pair of headphones have great "slam" and "impact" in sound?

I apologize in advance if a previous thread has already discussed this matter, I searched through the forum but did not find anything similar. So I had my weekend filled with many headphones and amplifiers and EQ tools to toy with. I did read about the frequency response chart and about what...
  7. nyxnyxnyx

If all headgear transducers were to be tuned the same, would it actually hurt the userbase?

I've read and joined discussions now and then about what is considered as an ideal FR target. Obviously, Harman target is there in all discussions I've read, oftentimes people would bring up both pros and cons (i.e: it's how music is supposed to be performed, or how it's *just* a preference from...
  8. nyxnyxnyx

Efficiency of wooden cups in self-damping the headphones?

I'm sorry if this question looks confusing. I've read a few articles and some comments here and there about the properties of wooden headphones cups. In one article, or rather a marketing point, denon claimed that their headphones cups are doing the "self-absorbing, self-damping" duty for the...
  9. nyxnyxnyx

Should there be audible/measurable differences when an earthing system is installed?

I revisited some old posts in various forums and platforms and I saw that many folks talked highly of the results they got when they have their system grounded. I used to believe in that quite a lot but as the years went by, more and more devices and "pro tips" related to cleaning power...
  10. nyxnyxnyx

How can I perform a completely proper ABX test?

I've been joining this hobby for a few years but it's mostly on the subjective and biased side. This year I feel like I want to learn more and be more knowledgeable and rational in this aspect.... And I realized that I've never done a proper ABX test. Can anyone here teach me how to perform a...
  11. nyxnyxnyx

Besides EQ/DSP, what are some other ways that can significantly change sound quality?

I remembered asking a similar question a few months back or so, but it was with amplifiers that sound different and very distinctive in our (subjective) opinion. At the end of that thread most comments pointed me to just use EQ (which I already do) and don't waste more money on products that...
  12. nyxnyxnyx

Are there any (good) points in creating a gigantic "portable amp"?

Somewhere between this year and last year, I encountered several topics and discussions about creating a "more complete" version of Lithium-powered amplifiers. I don't remember the details but some people were making their own versions and debated that the shortcomings of those smaller portable...
  13. nyxnyxnyx

Complementary amplifiers to something ultra transparent?

Hello everyone. I think that most of us here already have very transparent and clean amplifiers, namely something like Atom/A90/THX.....They are indeed very good but I want to hear if you have experienced something else, something that sounded noticeably different. Are there any amplifiers out...
  14. nyxnyxnyx

Quirky question: can underwhelmingly measured amps sound good? if they can, then how?

This is just a random (and mostly trivial) question that popped up in my thoughts the other day. In ASR we can see that all the top gladiators in terms of perceived quality and overall popularity are mostly measurement beasts. So that makes me wonder if there are any amps that you guys really...
  15. nyxnyxnyx

Factors that make amplifiers sound different from each other?

Hi.... I have had this specific question for a long time but i never found a shortened (but detailed enough) answer I think at this point i have tried over 15 amplifiers both tube and SS , while some were very identical to each other in my listening sessions , others were pretty unique and...
  16. nyxnyxnyx

Amplifiers Megathread

Hello everyone ! I created this thread because i didn't see any "general" topic to throw in my questions about amplifiers so i figured i should make one where you can ask general questions about amplifiers , not just one product in those specific measurement topics . This way it will not...
Top Bottom