Search results

1. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Schiit Tyr mono amplifier

I'm definitely going to get the nilai DIY amps because I am a sucker for that kind of thing. Plus I've been dying to move my NC400 amps to my desk for my headphones since they are absurdly wonderful hooked up to my Stax 007s. So at the very least I'll compare the two sets of DIY Hypex setups.
  2. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Schiit Tyr mono amplifier

You could get a more resolving and powerful NCore amp too. There's the NC1200 amps, and the new NCx line and the Nilai are coming out soon - not to mention the higher powered Purifi modules. I'm waiting on a that before deciding if a Schiit Tyr is worth it for my own Magnepan 1.7i system. I...
  3. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Unbelievable. It's a perfect combo. I've also used an Emotiva A100, a Marantz PM-something and a Schiit Ragnarok 2. Nothing is like the Hypex stuff, it's like the audio version of an OLED TV. Just sound from the void. I want to get these new Hypex DIY amps basically just so I can use the NC400...
  4. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Yes, I've used my NC400 monos with an iESL set to 96.
  5. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Nobsound, shit or great?

I had a "Nobsound Mini Bluetooth 5.0 Power Amplifier" that I was using for my kitchen setup for enjoying tunes while cooking. It worked well, although was a little scary, as it would spark if the plug came out at all. It cost $33 on Amazon and lasted nearly a year and a half of virtually daily...
  6. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

I love my NC400 monos and am super excited to try out something new! Was looking at getting a set of NC1200 monos from Nord or Apollon, but I'd much rather do another DIY kit. When can I start refreshing the diyclassd.com products page and/or is there a way to get on a pre-order list or something?
  7. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Open baffle speaker design

The Magnepan LRS was measured by Amir and fared extremely poorly. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/magnepan-lrs-speaker-review.16068/ I don't get it. I love the way Maggies sound, so either myself and my friends are weirdos who have preferences that don't match up with...
  8. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier Review & Comparison

For real, I still regard using a transformer as the best possible solution. I've listened to my 007mk2.5 on a few different amps through my ifi energizer and I just don't see why I'd get a dedicated Amp beyond this. They sound amazing through the hypex monoblocks, warmly colored but wonderful on...
  9. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Schiit Ragnarok 2’s AP Report

I got mine last Friday and damn, pumping a TON of power into headphones seems to make a quite a difference. I got it because I was really unsatisfied with the way that the Emotiva A100 sounded when running my SR007 off it and I hated having to bring them into the living room for the nicer hypex...
  10. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Freya+

Only if there's something wrong with the other cables or you need to free up the output. Output levels are the same. I sometimes use my sub with the RCA out with my amps on the XLR.
  11. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Freya+

It's ever so slightly louder with the SS input buffer (I do use the balanced outs as well as the unbalanced for my sub though I don't know if both levels go up - it's not a huge difference by any means) and I've found that I notice a bit of a sharpness at the top end with it on as well. I leave...
  12. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

This may be a dumb question, but what are you using to control the volume and are you sure all of the volume controls in the chain are set to appropriate levels?
  13. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

The ability to tube roll means it has significantly more options for adding euphonic distortion after-the-fact. This youtube channel did a whole bunch of tube rolling videos with the Freya, so you can see how that goes:
  14. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

I have a miniDSP SHD Studio -> Matrix X Sabre DAC -> Schiit Freya+ -> NC400 and it's *fantastic*. Just sayin'.
  15. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

It's $600/pair. It's a $300 speaker.
  16. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Headphone Recommendations.

I concur! Hard to get that cheap I have to imagine though. Even used, they go for closer to and above $2k. Fortunately, the next best closed back option is the Emu Teak, which is *significantly* cheaper. I sold mine for $450 when I got my Verite C. They were discontinued at the time, but I...
  17. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

What headphone(s) do you own ?

That's the thing though, I only tried the lower end Stax amps. I have also wondered about how the higher end Stax and Mjolnir amps might fare against my current setup. I expect that at some point I'll get myself a KGSSHV Carbon when the curiosity and my finances happen to both cross paths at the...
  18. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Yeah, the 252S in particular was very underpowered and just caused *awful* distortion. The 353X wasn't bad in that way and got plenty loud, but was significantly outclassed by the hypex amps through the ifi iesl. Just by comparison, I was able to easily do the A/B lossless audio tests found...
  19. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

I think that the design of the iesl concerns the Stax mafia for reasons I don't understand as a lay-person. My experience with it has been amazing though. I've used it with the emotiva and the hypex monoblocks and it really appreciates the clean power of the hypex amps. It's by far my favorite...
  20. TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

It shouldn't stick up above the line in the groove the pads sit in, so it just allows the pads to seal to the cup. I sold my l300, or I'd take pictures, I'm sorry.
Top Bottom