Search results

1. T

phono amp issue

Thanks for that. I'm certain you will have better cartridges than mine, so I can eliminate that as the source of the problem. If you know the problem well and I have experienced it I would have thought it unlikely to be destroyed track, although from what `I have been reading here it seems the...
  2. T

phono amp issue

I think I would need to get the same recording on CD to answer that. That said, I don't recall noticing the effect on CD. However, it still wouldn't help me isolate where the problem is on vinyl. If it happens on records purely because of the limitations of the medium then there isn't any point...
  3. T

phono amp issue

It's not so much the loudness as the amount of instruments in the mix. Or seems to be. For example, if I play Siegfried's funeral march the 'big' bits come over loud and clear - so clearly in fact that I nearly jumped out of my chair first time of playing. This congestion is happening when...
  4. T

How a cartridge works

Good grief that was expansive - thanks very much. Interesting that none of the explanation is diminishing the mystery of this for me. What I find extraordinary is that so much of the qualitative element remains intact and is not lost in translation. I suppose the wave form is different if...
  5. T

Turntables - help me understand the appeal?

Fortunately that hasn't happened here yet, so i am hoovering up while the going is good. CDs are pretty abundant in these shops as well, so I will cast my net a bit wider to include them.
  6. T

Turntables - help me understand the appeal?

On the 'what are you listening to now' thread I mentioned Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto with Annie Fischer as the soloist. I got two copies, buying the second because the first was too mucked up. Second copy had hardly been played I think. Total expenditure for both copies £1.50. La Boheme on...
  7. T

How a cartridge works

Long time ago, and for that period I switched off from everything, not just science. I only developed intellectual curiosity fairly late in life. However, I'd say you were correct in that assumption since it costs me some effort to grasp concepts I imagine come easier to others. I've realised...
  8. T

How a cartridge works

So does something as simple as a mat made of a different material offer an opportunity to reduce vibration? I'm going to be trying to think all this through for some time but so far it occurs to me the motor in my turntable must be producing vibration which will be picked up and cause a spike...
  9. T

How a cartridge works

Thank you for taking the trouble to communicate the above so clearly. It does make sense (if I have understood) - the cartridge has to be stationary so the signal generated by the stylus in the record groove does not pick up any contamination as it passes through the head. So all the DIY...
  10. T

How a cartridge works

I will need to do some reading before I can understand that but thanks for the explanation. I think that ought to be my next step before I come back to this.
  11. T

How a cartridge works

Well, isn't that extremely interesting? So the analogue process is maintained even down to the electrical current taking on the form of the original sound wave. Essentially, then, the moving magnet writes into the electrical current the waveform, like I would write a word on a piece of paper...
  12. T

How a cartridge works

Fascinating video, thanks very much.
  13. T

How a cartridge works

Cheers. Looks like I am in for a fair bit of reading. Good. As for rabbit holes, happening on this site was to trip down one rabbit hole, and now I see that lining it are doors into other rabbit holes. All I want to do is understand one thing at a truly fundamental level, but I suspect that...
  14. T

How a cartridge works

Thanks very much - very interesting. Looking at that first video one would think - despite what he says about digital and vinyl being the pretty much the same - that digital would outperform vinyl just because there are fewer (as far as i currently know) gaps in the chain to bridge. Wouldn't it...
  15. T

How a cartridge works

Thanks. Picking up on that point, does it then follow that it is a good idea to keep the cable from the deck to the phone stage as short as possible, given the voltage is so tiny? Is this another point at which signal degradation could occur? Presumably it is less of a problem once the signal...
  16. T

How a cartridge works

Thank you very much, going to be following up on all links later on.
  17. T

How a cartridge works

Thanks. Please correct the errors as I think this out.. So on the record is a v shaped canyon (groove) in which the stylus sits. Each side of the groove has lateral peaks and troughs cut in it, which the stylus traces. If you were to isolate the line of each side of the groove you would get a...
  18. T

How a cartridge works

Thanks. I suspect that as with all things I will meet a door I can't open. Answers to questions generate more questions, and so on until one reaches the limit of comprehension. Years ago I read The Human Use of Human Beings and thought 'awesome. I'm going to read Cybernetics next'. No, I was...
  19. T

How a cartridge works

It was suggested to me that I begin by trying to understand (when I asked how one could possibly make one's own determination as to what is and is not worth buying), so I have decided to follow that advice.However, what I did not realise when I happened on this site is how out of my depth I was...
  20. T

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

Much of this is news to me. I wonder if you could sell people pre-burned in cable.As opposed to second hand I mean. Cable that cost £30 and has been been burned in for one hundred hours ought to be worth at least £60.
Top Bottom