Search results

1. L0rdGwyn

Giant 2A3 Headamp

Yo! Showing off another completed build. Another one for my buddy Zach of ZMF Headphones. This is a cost-no-object 2A3 headphone amplifier featuring nanocrystalline core interstage and output transformers from Monolith Magnetics. The transformers are huge given the high permeability cores...
  2. L0rdGwyn

Thorens TD 125 MKII Restoration

Hello! Just finished a long term project restoring a Thorens TD 125 MKII I picked up at a local used hifi shop, thought maybe people would like to see. For those unfamiliar, this was the follow up to the famous idler drive TD 124. It's a suspended subchassis belt drive turntable with a Wien...
  3. L0rdGwyn

More Is Better? 6336 / 6528 OTL Headphone Amplifier

Showing another amplifier I just finished, decided to adapt my 6AS7G headphone amplifier circuit for 6336 / 6528. Similar to the 6AS7G circuit, this is a dual-mono power supply design, each channel has its transformer/rectifier/reservoir and Maida style HV regulator. I use a 40 second time...
  4. L0rdGwyn

Tube Build for High-Impedance Headphones - the Ubiquitous 6AS7G OTL

Hey ASR, Here is another amplifier I designed. The 6AS7G family OTL headphone amp is everywhere these days. I have a large collection of these tubes, thought I'd do my own version of the circuit, it's now something I build on a select basis for Head-Fi friends, they seem to like it. This...
  5. L0rdGwyn

More Tubes - Interstage Transformer-Coupled Type 45 Headphone Amp

I have another DIY project to show off! Going to keep this post short and sweet, and light on measurements, not likely they'll impress anyone lol. This is a type 45 headphone amplifier built for a friend, Zach Mehrbach of ZMF headphones. Here are the design highlights: -LED biased 5687 /...
  6. L0rdGwyn

NOS Burr-Brown PCM56 DAC with Tubes!!!

Hey ASR, Showing another DIY project of mine, I said I wasn't going to post anymore but I am proud of my monstrosities :D I designed a NOS DAC based on the vintage Burr-Brown PCM56. It's a 16-bit chip. This is my foray into digital design, so I thought simple is best. I know the NOS R2R...
  7. L0rdGwyn

Audio Interface For Digital Measurements - Looking For Recommendations

Hi ASR peeps - I have been using the MOTU M4 for some time now for analog measurements, some time ago I posted loopback measurements here when it was first released. At the time I was unsure if I would ever need digital I/O, figured it would be a future problem. Well now it is a present-day...
  8. L0rdGwyn

Finished Another DIY Build - 801A SET in A2 Operation

Just showing off a build I finished today, idea for this amplifier started over a year ago, it has been a long development... At a high level, it is a 6F5 input with CCS load, cap coupled to a 6BX7 cathode follower, which is direct-coupled to the grid of the 801A output. The 801A is biased at...
  9. L0rdGwyn

DarkVoice 336SE Circuit Overhaul

The DarkVoice 336SE is one of the more popular entry-level tube headphone amplifiers, it was reviewed on this site to much criticism. I was introduced to a group of individuals on Head-Fi who were making component changes / modifications to their own circuits. I thought it would be a fun...
  10. L0rdGwyn

841 DHT Hybrid Headphone Amplifier

Finished up another DIY project. This is a tube-FET hybrid headphone amplifier. Voltage gain is done by a thoriated tungsten filament directly-heated triode, the 841. Here are its A1 operating curves from my curve tracer (it has A2 functionality as well). It is filament biased, filament...
  11. L0rdGwyn

Tube Phono Measurement Anomaly - Seeking Input

Hi! I am experiencing what I believe is a measurement issue which has me a bit perplexed, so figured I'd come to the measurements experts :) I recently completed a tube / FET hybrid phono stage, schematic below. It is being fed from the balanced outputs of my turntable, balanced input to a...
  12. L0rdGwyn

DIY CCS-loaded 45 Tube Headphone Amp

Hey ASR - wanted to share a project I just completed. I am a "tube guy", back in January I decided I was going to start building my own gear. That began with a 6A5G SET 3WPC speaker amplifier, which turned out quite well I think. 3 WATTS, WUT?! My speakers are 6ohm 98dB/W in a small room, I...
  13. L0rdGwyn

MOTU M4 Loopback Measurements

Here are some preliminary loopback measurements of the new MOTU M4. I purchased this device to do some measurements on current and future DIY projects, I will be pairing it with the Linear Audio Autoranger. Please bear in mind this is my first sound card audio measurement implementation, I...
  14. L0rdGwyn

Bottlehead Crackatwoa OTL tube headphone amplifier build

Hi ASR, Wanted to share my build of my Bottlehead Crackatwoa headphone amplifier. This amp was built last year, so this is more of a retrospective, but I'm very proud of it and thought you might be interested :) Background: The Crackatwoa is an upgraded model of Bottlehead's popular DIY...
  15. L0rdGwyn

Augustica Technologies DIY Headphone Amp Kit: Looking For EE Advice

Hey ASR! I apologize in advance for being a bit of a knowledge mooch, but I am hoping some of my EE friends on the forum can lend a hand to a layperson on the soundness of a specific amplifier design :) Backstory: I am primarily a headphone guy and current owner of a Schiit Lyr 2 hybrid-tube...
Top Bottom