Search results

1. J

Martin Logan Theater ESL Panel Rebuild

Hi all, I just rebuilt the stat panel in a Martin Logan center channel speaker. These speakers are no longer supported by ML, so if you had one with a dead panel, you were SOL. But that ain't necessarily so... I attempted to copy/paste the write-up from blog here but the font and...
  2. J

Do you owe it to yourself to check out electrostatic speakers?

Do you owe it to yourself to check out the latest electrostatic speaker designs? Ahh; YES. No speaker is perfect but I wish everyone could hear the latest commercial and DIY ESL designs. I'm sure many would find their sound addictive. I will discuss both, but first I must confess my bias...
  3. J

Yet another Ripol sub build

Hi all, I've built several pairs of Ripol subs in recent years, and I’m currently building the pair shown below for a friend. These are the smallest, most compact ones I’ve ever built with 12 inch woofers (Peerless SLS). I think my friend will like the compact size! The woofer cabs are 3/4 red...
  4. J

Speaker Transport Cases

Hi all, I needed a way to protect my Jazzman Mk III ESL speakers during my annual trek to CarverFest. So I built these transport cases which can be carried in the bed of my truck, even if it's raining. The cases are two-piece clamshells made from light-weight 3/16 plywood, with a bit of...
  5. J

FS: Jazzman MkIII ESL - New with 5-year warranty

For those who don't know me; I've been an electrostatic speaker designer and builder for 13 years. My Jazzman MkIII is one of the finest loudspeakers in the world, and I have two pairs for sale at $6,000/pair (not negotiable). In a world where even hi-end commercial speakers are typically...
  6. J

DBX Driverack Venu 360 - initial impressions

I recently replaced the Behringer DEQ2496 EQ & DCX2496 crossover, driving my homebuilt hybrid electrostats & Ripole subs, with a DBX Driverack Venu 360 crossover/EQ. I chose the Venu 360 over less expensive PA2, only because I needed the Venu's digital inputs to accept the digital out from my...
  7. J

Another ESL speaker project

Hi all, Since October of last year I've been toiling away on my biggest-ever ESL speaker project, and I'm very happy to be nearing completion after 5 months of exhausting work. Several of my Carver Audio friends have twisted my arm for years to build speakers for them, but until now I've...
  8. J

Finally decided to do something about my room

Hi all, As usual, I did this project ass-backwards, as I didn't have the means to do any measurements before starting. But, I had a few days off work and I wanted to use it building DIY room treatments-- just some basics to tighten up the bass and catch the reflections bouncing of a window...
  9. J

The Eros Clone Electrostatic Speaker

Hi All, The exquisitely crafted speakers shown below were built by my online collaborator, Mervyn Tims. I have a website (Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page) dedicated to building electrostatic speakers, and I often receive requests for drawings of my (3) ESL designs. Most people...
  10. J

DIY Ripole Subs

Here's an interesting sub developed by German speaker designer Axel Ridtahler-- a compact folded dipole with a cardroid radiation pattern. I built a pair of them for my system using Peerless SLS woofers. Link to parts list, drawings & build pics: Jazzman's Ripole Subs
  11. J

Cross-connected dual coaxial speaker cables

As a general rule; you can design a cable for either low inductance or low capacitance but you can't have both in the same cable. This cable comes about as close to cheating that rule as any I've seen. I built a pair to drive my ESL speakers. Enjoy! Link to parts list and build photos...
  12. J

DIY Electrostatic Speakers

Hi all, I built my 'beam splitter' speaker eleven years ago, and it's electronics and stat panels have evolved quite a bit in the years since. Originally it had perf-metal stators, then more efficient micro-perf stators, then segmented welding rod stators, and now state of the art segmented...
  13. J

Hello from Savannah, GA

Hi All, I just found this forum and wondering how missed it before. Anyway-- old guy here, past retirement age but still working (two ex-wives). I'm into DIY and I listen mostly to jazz and oldies. I tried multi-channel but I've now gone back to two-channel audio and loving it. I have some...
Top Bottom