Search results

1. shanecoughlan

Reasonably priced amp to use in 200w~400w per channel speakers build?

The title is pretty much the content In a nutshell, I am building a stereo pair soundbar with tweeter, mid and bass drivers direct from Swan (well, HiVi, the owners. Awesome people. Miley arranged direct shipping from the factory), total max watts about 320 per channel. The speaker drivers are...
  2. shanecoughlan

TOPPING NX4 DSD (Long Term Usage Notes)

First of all, a big thank you to @JohnYang1997 and everyone associated with Topping for making a product that is affordable, fully featured and well-built. Much appreciated. I have been using this DAC for about two years now (pandemic time flies) and I have found it to be useful when paired...
  3. shanecoughlan

Why is audio so angry?

Ok, this is not really a question. More of an assertion and a suggestion. Listening to music is a hobby with very few table stakes. You are either happy or not happy with what you hear. Some people are happy for weird reasons (let’s put that in the subjectivist bucket) and some people are...
  4. shanecoughlan

Ruizu X02 Partial Disassembly and Notes

This is a follow-up to my Ruizu X02 Unboxing and Initial Notes thread. To recap, the Ruizu has a limit of a 1,200Kbs bitrate and 48kHz sample rate for FLAC. This is a pretty heavy limit that only became evident when I unboxed and read the manual. The test FLAC file I tend to use from the Sony...
  5. shanecoughlan

Ruizu X02 Unboxing and Initial Notes

If you wander around Aliexpress or Amazon looking at cheap dedicated music players you will notice a wealth of low cost options. I am currently doing a project that involves collecting a lot of old FLAC recordings from the public domain and I decided to grab a cheap player that can do FLAC. If...
  6. shanecoughlan

Topping NX4DSD Unboxing and Initial Notes

To get started you should read the excellent review conducted by @amirm here. His conclusion was that the "Topping NX4 DSD is a superb portable DAC and headphone offering at super attractive pricing. Yeh, channel balance could be better and frequency response droops a bit. But other than that...
  7. shanecoughlan

New FiiO Q5S

This device seems very promising. I just asked if they will be sending over a copy to @amirm for analysis. His figures help separate the good (or not so good) from the great. I have a feeling this may be good or very good :) Their overview is here:
  8. shanecoughlan

Amateur testing hour - any suggestions for testing without specialized equipment?

I would love to do some testing of stuff around the house. Two targets of interest right now: Yamaha YAS 207 soundbar and sub-woofer A pretty cheap pair of Sony NC headphones. Any ideas on how I could get some useful data without specialized equipment? I’m familiar with GUI or command line...
Top Bottom