Search results

1. D

Amir's TODO thread

Maybe you don't have to measure the bluetooth part of the performance, since most bluetooth dacs also have standard desktop connectivity and most of us want to use them primarily as desktop plugged DACs and sporadically test bluetooth headphones with them. My vote for DAC to review would be the...
  2. D

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

I would definitely love to read your review of the SMSL DP3 DAC. It's very interesting, it's almost the only packaging Bluetooth and balanced outputs together (maybe even ultimate DAC to buy for only $250 if it delivers good performance?)
  3. D

Review and Measurements of SMSL X-USB Digital Audio Converter

The Sanskrit 6th has less jitter and lower noise floor than the Modi 2 Uber https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bargain-dac-review-s-m-s-l-mini-dac-sanskritt-6th.1728/ Unless they are somehow not comparable?
  4. D

Amir's TODO thread

I agree with @tili, there are people who need to pair their Fiio E10K, OL DAC, Topping D30 budget dacs with any good budget amp to spend the rest on headphones. So, there will be a huge impact if discovering a good budget amp in your reviews.
  5. D

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

From the ones that you've measured Schiit Modi 2 JDS Labs OL DAC Other: Schiit Bifrost (not the multibit) A DAC that you have bought I think: SMSL m8a And it's also in the SMSL Sanskrit Pro-B.
  6. D

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

I would certainly prefer the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC to the Topping DX7, but I always make a huge differentiation point the size of the boxes they are in (preferring smaller boxes). And I think I wouldn't want to use the Topping integrated AMP with most of my headphones (85% of them below 70ohm...
  7. D

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

How do you recognize (i.e. look for) what vinyl does to music?
  8. D

Measurement and Review of Schiit BiFrost Multibit DAC

I think you meant to write glitches visible even with 12 bit signals (glitches at -70 dB sine waves, or a bit below 12-bit=-72dB)
  9. D

Well, it's a conversation going on, something that would be impossible on HeadFi because you would be banned from posting in the thread after mentioning measurements, competitors' products, subjectively preferring other products, the validity of the subjective assessment of sound, linking to...
  10. D

By the way, why would it have any merit a warm-up period argument? Most electronics perform their best at lower temperatures and go up the scale degrading their performance slowly when they become hot. Is there something I ignore that make it different for DACs?
  11. D

That was already done, the Bifrost didn't change in measurements in that review after overnight warmup (that's way more than the 2-hour period)
  12. D

Amir's TODO thread

Well, now that results are posted you know for sure that you could still sell your 'optimal and bug-free' code at a higher price range. Just make sure to claim that it is their fault in using the lower-end code in a wrong way by expecting the best results before several days worth of warm-up period.
  13. D

I wouldn't suggest that leaving a 35W device turned on all the time is an acceptable engineering/design compromise, so I am consistently turning off both my DACs and my TVs. You are not, so you need to justify what makes it different for DACs than it is for TVs.
  14. D

Hey, you have already changed the goal post. What makes it ok to leave a DAC on all the time but makes it necessary turning on and off a TV? Imagine the TVs image was superb after a 3-day warmup. Why wouldn't you leave it on? Most LED TVs nowadays use 45 Watt or less when turned on. The Power...
  15. D

They are so 'zealous' about not having links to other blogs that they said they banned NwAVguy because he had a link to his blog in his signature and that made him some kind of a backlink seeker everytime he posted implying he only contributed to HeadFi forums to get people to see the links in...
  16. D

I trust Zeos' ears a lot more than those of Hans Beekhuyzen, who can be quoted saying that a perfectly measuring DAC that costs 100$ sounds 20% of the sound quality on his setup A, 40% of sound quality on his setup B and 80% on his setup C, compared to another DAC that costs 3000$ and also...
  17. D

Review and Measurements of Chord Hugo 2 DAC and Headphone Amplifier

I would be surprised in a bad way if such an exception to the rule wasn't designed to sound their best with some variation in their target frequency response compared to the one obtained with a negligible low output impedance source. Since there almost don't exist low enough output impedance...
  18. D

I know that almost nobody takes ZeosPantera as anything more than an entertainer, but he telegraphed that multibit measures badly by uploading a video saying that the Modi Multibit was the only one that doesn't sound the same in a shootout against an iFi iOne and a JDS OL DAC. He said that it...
  19. D

Amir's TODO thread

'Not nearly as bad' ranges from 'still quite bad' to 'optimal and bug-free', so don't get ahead of yourself, you could still price the optimal code at the 6000$ tier or so.
Top Bottom