Search results

1. tesseractASR

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Wat? Cable people justify using *cough* graphs?!? No. The beauty of this amp is not just the "graphs" cable people do not use. It's stellar performance, combined w/stellar build-quality, that ensures consistent performance through years of production runs and years of usage. Your comparison is...
  2. tesseractASR

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

I wonder about 2 ohms, too, but am not terribly concerned about it. I suspect the XPA amps can manage. I've seen AVRs run ML speakers before. Here is the XPA-2 Gen 2: A good friend of mine is using two Crown XLS amps, one channel each with the other channel unused, into his ML Classic 9s...
  3. tesseractASR

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Thanks. I returned to work today. No worries, I just popped the tape measure next to it. Eye-balling it, I got between 14.5-14.75" from front volume knob to the end of the speaker terminals.
  4. tesseractASR

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

"That being said, the XPA-2 exceeded its power specifications by considerable margins. Into 8 ohms it was rated to 250 watts at 1% THD , yet I measured 312 watts at 0.1% THD. Into 4 ohm loads it was rated to 500 watts at 1% THD while again my measurements exceeded this rating producing 512 watts...
  5. tesseractASR

Sorry it took this long, but I had abdominal surgery when you posted. Just feeling good enough now to have tried. 17" with a sharp bend in the power cord. I'd want at least 17.5-18".
  6. tesseractASR

That's Analog In. If you are not using that, as most of us are not, it will not matter. If you need it, I'd look elsewhere.
  7. tesseractASR

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

I'm going to be trying a MartinLogan Classic 9 and Focus 18 LCR on my 4800 soon. I expect it to be able to handle the 75-85 dB levels I normally listen at, but this is not a recommendation to do so, especially for the 3800. The 4800 can handle a bit more of an impedance drop.
  8. tesseractASR

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Emo XPA-2 Gen 2 is 500 watts/4 ohm and 300 watts/8 ohms. Wish mine and my XPA-3 Gen 2 weren't 1400 miles away from me in storage.
  9. tesseractASR

Nice Talk with Paul Barton of PSB Speakers

Try drinking with him. I did have the chance to enjoy a nice 90 minute dinner conversation with Mr. Barton once, set up by Mr. Matthew Poes.
  10. tesseractASR

I spent 3 days, sighted, then level-matched blind ABX, testing 9 amplifiers of various stripes, from Krell to Behringer. I owned the 3800 and now the 4800. I did not hear a difference with the normal, everyday speakers most people use. I haven't popped in my high-sensitvity jobs yet, but even...
  11. tesseractASR

Notice I did not say "clipping". :p I listen at low levels, own large, high-sensitivity 4 ohm speakers and will be using a mix of internal and external amps. I stand to benefit from that little extra bit of performance with the 4800. I am confident that the 3800 would have served me just fine...
  12. tesseractASR

That clip is for the X4800H. If you don't need that feature, it sounds like the 3800 will do you just fine.
  13. tesseractASR

I don't want to watch a 50 minute video looking for one thing. Where in that video can I find that the 3800 has selectable disconnects? I did not see it in the menu of the 3800 I owned. I do see it in my 4800 and Amir called it out in the OP. ***EDIT*** I found it at 14:00 min, Says "X4800H" on...
  14. tesseractASR

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

Right, which also lowers distortion, as I pointed out earlier. There really aren't any bad reasons to add more subs IF they are properly integrated.
  15. tesseractASR

Yes. I have 2 available and will spread out the load, but it is not really necessary. I am in an apartment and average SPL levels are 75-85 dBC. ML says to use many hours (40, 90, I can't remember) a 90dB to break in the panels. That ain't gonna happen.
  16. tesseractASR

The Classic 9 is all-passive. I spent a week with the 15A and loved it, but don't see the point in powered subs with ARC as I will be using active subs with the mains high passed. The A1H is attractive and I am a fan of XLR. I'm gonna wait for the Dirac dust to settle before considering moving...
  17. tesseractASR

I've owned both the 3800 and 4800. I have level-matched/blinded ABX-tested amplifiers. I am also an audio reviewer. Those Yoo Toob video reviews you saw are WORTHLESS for determining sound quality. I heard NO difference between the two and the methods the Yoo Toob guys used to come to their...
  18. tesseractASR

More room coverage for multiple listeners. Distortion would be lowered at bass FR. Those are two basic improvements. There could be some benefits when Dirac Live Bass Control comes out, which is my main reason for wanting more subs. As it is, there is only one listening position in this room...
  19. tesseractASR

Yeah, I am looking at 0.8 ohms. That's pushing me toward the NCx, for sure. I see you also have dual SB3000s. I have two but am only using one at the moment. Excellent sub for the money, you want more, just add more. I'm thinking of adding one or two more, as I have an AVR that has four sub outs.
  20. tesseractASR

Nice system! I almost pulled the trigger on the ESL X and C, then had an unexpected amount of work fall into my lap and ended up with Classic 9s and Focus C18. They have been sitting NIB for a month now, can't wait to hear them. I'm looking real hard at the 3 channel NCx and Purifi 3 channel...
Top Bottom