Search results

1. Kvalsvoll

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

Did many designs on the minimalist concept. Goal was to have as few amplification stages as possible in the signal path. Reasons behind fall short of any logical and scientific evidence. It is something you make just because it is nice, and because it is difficult. Need to source obscure...
  2. Kvalsvoll

Instrument seperation ..how do we read this in the measurements. ?

Always difficult to grasp exactly what someone else means, when describing properties of sound. You wrote: "good instruments separation with great detail across the board", which makes sense to me, but, I may have misinterpreted. Others have mentioned multitone distortion, which makes sense. If...
  3. Kvalsvoll

Instrument seperation ..how do we read this in the measurements. ?

Very good and relevant question. Beyond confirming frequency response is reasonably flat and smooth, there is little information accessible on what to look for in measurements on how they represent the sound from a speaker. Separation is one of those properties, one which is important. When...
  4. Kvalsvoll

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

The review is what it is, and it was not my intention to criticize the review or the reviewer, rather than point out what many may be missing when looking at a flat graph. The bass issue is something that has become part of the hifi foundation, it is in most if not all reviews, it is not...
  5. Kvalsvoll

I think he should be entitled to do so. "Best" will always be in context, we understand that.
  6. Kvalsvoll

Next issue: Bass: A bass-system, properly integrated and calibrated with DSP, is required to achieve good bass. This is not addressed in the review, it does not mention what sort of bass-system was in use, or how this was set up and calibrated. What was mentioned, though, was a desire to see...
  7. Kvalsvoll

Directivity changes a lot through freq range, going omni down <300hz, and at high freq the pattern is quite a bit more narrow than many other typical hifi speakers with flat mounted domes. Is this good, or is it a fault. Perhaps it is intended by the designers of the speaker. What is true...
  8. Kvalsvoll

My intent is to show that there may not be a best, rather there are compromises that the engineers behind a speaker must make, and eventually those chosen compromises leads to the customer having to make a choice as well. This did not come through, at least to me, in my brief assessment of the...
  9. Kvalsvoll

Then you should read more about what I do and what I am.
  10. Kvalsvoll

It is indeed appropriate to address some aspects of this review, and its discourse. This speaker is presented as better than anything else. But the presented measurements show obvious shortcomings and compromises. So how can this be "best there is", for any and all occasions, for any use case...
  11. Kvalsvoll

Cause of boomy voice?

Likely there is a resonance around 100hz, which causes the issue with booOOoomy voices. Change the scale on the spectrogram from 1s to 100ms, and you will see it.
  12. Kvalsvoll

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

The line-source speakers are cylindrical sources, they are, as such, actually larger in size, and it is how this radiation pattern interacts with surfaces in the room, that gives the perception of larger images. As for why the Fountek, assuming line-source monopole front radiating, compared to...
  13. Kvalsvoll

Likely it did. Your description of small high-frequency instruments is something I also have noticed. So that had to be fixed. It was possible to at least improve things considerably, so you get body and some size of cymbals and triangles.
  14. Kvalsvoll

This is where it gets tricky. Always some sort of compromise, it seems, for sound. You want it large, then everything is large. You want it precise, then it also becomes very small.. The reason for those differences lies in the radiation, very different. The larger horns have (sort of..)...
  15. Kvalsvoll

It is of course not Bl alone, if it is linear, there should be no difference between a woofer with Bl 25 or one with Bl 12. They only differ in sensitivity, which just means use more power, and q and roll-off. But going way back in time, it became apparent that some speakers sound more dynamic...
  16. Kvalsvoll

You are not mistaken. While it may not be motor strength (Bl^2/Rdc) directly, motors with higher Bl tend to have better non-linear behavior, with less dynamic compression when reproducing signal with wide frequency bandwidth and short in time interval. This is also the main reason most typical...
  17. Kvalsvoll

Bass and subwoofers

When I investigated perception of low frequency sound field properties (p and velocity vector), I found direction of sound p can be heard starting around 60Hz, I found direction of velocity for tactile perception to be undetectable (feels the same regardless of direction), BUT: level of velocity...
  18. Kvalsvoll

Room modes

You get way too much energy at those frequencies you try to boost. It doesn't work well. And creates horrible peaks at other locations in the room.
  19. Kvalsvoll

Room modes

How well it works, depends on the properties of the room, yes. But even the worst will improve. Properties, in bass range, means room dimensions, openings, windows (and their construction), wall construction. Lossy walls, typical wood, are better, concrete walls reflect almost all low freq...
  20. Kvalsvoll

Room modes

Yes. That is what people measure, what people can measure, so this is what can be adjusted for. Assuming you mean: flat pressure frequency response. Now, of course, that can not easily be achieved either, in most cases, since cancellations (in p) can not be filled completely.
Top Bottom