Search results

1. J

Which music format to buy, DXD or DSD64?

NativeDSD.com routinely receive DXD edit masters these days from which they create their own DSD rates.
  2. J

Does DSD sound better than PCM?

Thanks for all the recent posts - I haven't replied because I'm digesting all the info' provided....:)
  3. J

Cheers for that, interesting stuff, it's something I want to investigate further....
  4. J

Thanks, yep seen it along time ago and it's a great explanation but sorry I just don't get the timing explanation he gives and cannot relate this in any way to music capture with the complexities of varying waveform. The paper I referred to states microseconds between samples that in the authors...
  5. J

I totally get the fact that 96/24 PCM can more than adequately grab all the frequency and dynamic range we could possibly need as humans, but I'm not convinced about timing. I can't find an online link to this paper beyond http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=12372 - I had to buy it a while...
  6. J

Yep totally agree but I'm pretty sure she (Cookie Marenco) having been in the business for so long would have heard PCM through any number of pathways/DAC's and still favours DSD.
  7. J

Yeah I get that but - however small - surely because of their difference in signal capture each format may limit or emphasise a particular area more than the other on playback? Maybe the bonkers high (technical term) sample rate of DSD just manages to grab something more in the timing aspect - I...
  8. J

First, see my reply to M00ndancer. My own opinion on the matter is and please believe me I'm happy to say "oh right I get it now" is I just don't understand how capturing sound in two different digital formats that, though they share similarities are also very different in the way they capture...
  9. J

Look, sorry (heavy sigh...) I'm simply reporting a fact NOT an opinion. That fact being that Ms Cookie Marenco prefers the sound of DSD to PCM and that's why she works in that format for her own projects. I've become well aware since appearing on this site that everyone else considers this a...
  10. J

As explained, she prefers the sound and therefore will put up with the hassle.
  11. J

Trying to do something as well as you can is a better one.
  12. J

Sorry I don't understand the point you're making? Yes Morten Linberg records in DXD (he prefers it to DSD - please don't start...) into Pyramix and creates all kinds of versions because people want all kinds of versions of his recordings from the DXD multichannel original to Blu-ray 192/24...
  13. J

It's an interesting read but all from around fourteen years ago now. There are people recording in DXD notably Morton Linberg 2L and Music Liaison and they make great records. Don't know of anyone recording in DXD just for the purpose of converting and releasing it in DSD though (pointless)...
  14. J

Yeah, apologies I can never remember if you need to use capitals for She/He or not. Mistaken. So this massively experienced, respected and conscientious recording engineer is unable to realise that PCM and DSD sound exactly the same and has stupidly soldiered on with a format that is time...
  15. J

I've explained clearly the reasoning behind why Cookie Marenco records in the way She does, what She hears when She listens to music I couldn't possibly tell you as I'm not Cookie Marenco. What my ears think is She produces incredible recordings that I'm very happy to buy.
  16. J

Very difficult to record an orchestra because of all the mike feeds and not have to do post production mixing, I know the LSO record in DSD then mix in Pyramix back to DSD which I would say is not ideal but they still sound excellent. DSD is best suited to projects like small acoustic recordings...
  17. J

Bottom line. She cares incredibly about her own project recordings sounding right and this is the technique she's chosen. If anyone out there is willing to cough up the very substantial amount of money required to create a DAW that can mix DSD without screwing it around I'm sure she'd be delighted.
  18. J

DSD isn't the format she "just happens to be transferring to" it's a clear decision - She does not like the sound of PCM digital and does not like the digital mixing that is available in DSD.
  19. J

Well, She doesn't like the sound of PCM, doesn't like the effect that 'in the box' mixing of DSD does to it so it's the logical thing to do. I'm sure if possible she would like to record on analog tape all the time and sell you the tape if that were in any way financially or practically possible...
Top Bottom