Search results

1. RCAguy

Is Toole and Olive's Spinorama model incomplete and limited?

“Harman’s spinorama” as implemented by Klipple and used in comprehensive reviews by both Erin at Erin’s Audio Corner and Amir at Audio Science Review. These are about the most trustworthy data analysts I’ve found. No make or model appears favored after applying good science. Erin’s videos are...
  2. RCAguy

Is Toole and Olive's Spinorama model incomplete and limited?

Spinorama profiles of many loudspeakers are at AudioScienceReview and Erin’s Audio Corner. Their results jibe with several Harman products, for example with mission-critical monitors.
  3. RCAguy

Anyone interested in a review of the JBL LSR4326P

Same for other worthy discontinued products, valid because they live on pre-owned. Only need to ship one to Amir or Erin. Other JBLs include its LSR6328P which may be higher-performing than its successor 708 although the former’s excellent drivers need no DSP correction.
  4. RCAguy

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

Right, adding that -20dBFS in US (-18 in EBU) is must be calibrated to a sound level, usually 85SPL. (Also deemed “safe” by OSHA when exposed over an 8h shift.). Then Full Scale is 20dB higher, 105SPL per channel, that are relatively safe as these exposures are instantaneous (momentary) peaks...
  5. RCAguy

JBL 708i Monitor Review (DSP: Part 2)

Good to know - thanks. I have five refurbed 6328s in service plus two 32s - still wonderful.
  6. RCAguy

JBL 708i Monitor Review (DSP: Part 2)

An audio systems engineer and former JBLpro dealer, I’ve experienced changes in the company's speaker products. My experience began with 4311 monitors (L100 for consumers) and coaxial drivers for UREI. Under Floyd Toole their first product to integrate dispersion with “real rooms” was the...
  7. RCAguy

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

Distortion a “static,” “worthless” measurement? Not if the listener has the experience to relate %THD to his\her perception. Play a pure sine into almost any loudspeaker (the most prodigious generator of THD) and clearly hear a 2nd harmonic an octave higher and a 3rd higher by 1-1/2 octaves...
  8. RCAguy

Subwoofers: a need for lower distortion?

Thanks, Curvature, for the well said critique of the paper, at least part of which you are the first in this group to have actually read. Per your advice, I have taken it down. As a 40yr member of AES, I am thoroughly familiar with the AES paper you cite, co-written by a personal friend, Eric...
  9. RCAguy

Addressed in #13. I’ve said I welcome discussion specifically regarding ,and with anyone who has actually read, the paper in the OP.
  10. RCAguy

1 Our terminology is defined in the paper to clarify for a broader readership perceived Loudness (“sounds like” in dB phons) from actual SPLdB. But no one here has bothered to read the paper. 2) Masking is certainly valid, but beyond the scope of a hypothesis paper that challenges conventional...
  11. RCAguy

DOMINIKZ - Using ISO 226:2003 - 70yr newer data than F-M - Fig.2 (reproduced below) of the cited paper "Subwoofer Camp 2" shows that a pure 30Hz fundamental at 90SPL "sounds like" 40phons, while a 3% 2nd harmonic of 60Hz at 60SPL is heard as 20phons, a 20dB difference equivalent to 10% perceived...
  12. RCAguy

Gentlemen, I've enjoyed our conversation. However while citing a mgfr website and Wikipedia, none of it refers to the paper I introduced in the OP. No one has read the paper. Well have you gotten my drift? I've agreed several times that subjective listening test - done properly (I've...
  13. RCAguy

The two articles do not jibe well in terms of masking harmonics. In the more conservative case, a 2nd harmonic is only masked 25dB below the fundamental, so not much masking is going on. Regarding masking v. source material, you actually say "Of course that denser spectrum of modern production...
  14. RCAguy

The "Subwoofer Camp 2" paper covers IMD, as it is often comparable to THD (and adds arithmetically as its artifacts are largely correlated with THD), but IM data are seldom published by mfgrs or reviewers. I also cover "port noise complaint,' etc. https://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/distortion...
  15. RCAguy

My editor & I would be interested in the results of the test you cite, which as you say apply no matter F-M in 1933 or ISO226 in 2003\2023. However 1) Were the subjects listening to rock & roll? 2) Were signals LPFd to the subwoofers AND HPFd to the main speakers? 3) Were the subjects...
  16. RCAguy

Using ISO 226:2003 - 70yr newer data than F-M - Fig.2 (reproduced below) of the cited paper "Subwoofer Camp 2" shows that a pure 30Hz fundamental at 90SPL "sounds like" 40phons, while a 3% 2nd harmonic of 60Hz at 60SPL is heard as 20phons, a 20dB difference equivalent to 10% perceived...
  17. RCAguy

Thank for all responses. Editor Gil & I are checking and will reply - we know science is not a destination, but a journey.
  18. RCAguy

We used ISO226:2003 as :2023 data isn't widely available yet [OP edited].
  19. RCAguy

Very low frequency distortion is perceived “inflated,” based on Fletcher-Munson as updated in ISO226:2003. For example in the chart (transposed as Equal-SPL contours), at 30Hz a typical mid-quality SW measuring 3% THD sounds like 25%; like 10% at 60Hz. The harmonic artifacts generated, mostly by...
  20. RCAguy

PA is not home Hifi

Agree, PA came first a century ago along with cinema sound and radio broadastong, followed by electrical recording on disk, all derivative of telephone research. Home reproduction continued for decades on Victrola mechano-acoustic players, electronic hi-fi taking off in the early 50s when I...
Top Bottom