Search results

1. N

Vibration, diffraction measurements: Revel Salon2, F328Be, M105

Yeah, I think F328Be's wide baffle is pushing more sound towards the front and less to the sides. I also suspect Salon2's unique contoured baffle may be creating a nonstandard dispersion pattern because the tweeter and upper midrange mounds overlap, and I wonder if our ears can pick up on that...
  2. N

Vibration, diffraction measurements: Revel Salon2, F328Be, M105

I had posted previously about a tweak to speaker feet that reduced cabinet vibrations and made an audible difference even with frequency response hardly affected. Extending that work, the motivation here was to compare cabinet vibrations among speakers to see if we can learn more about how they...
  3. N

Personalized HRTF and equalization using in-ear microphone

I used Sound Professionals MS-TFB-2, which seats at the ear canal entrance, mostly blocking the ear canal. In a later post My HRTF Target vs Harman Target I looked at how this relates to measurements at the ear drum.
  4. N

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

I have measured the AHB2's frequency response variation (at least in terms of voltage) when driving real speakers in this post. The entire spectrum appears consistently tilted by about 0.15db 20hz-5khz, before the rolloff approaching 20khz. I wasn't able to hear a difference in my recordings vs...
  5. N

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

If this was measured using the default filter 1 that's -10db @ 20khz, why doesn't it roll off in the multitone?
  6. N

Bi-amping Revel Salon2 makes an ABX audible difference

The graphic does not justify a difference. Rather, differences are in spite of the seemingly identical frequency response, as discussed in the original post.
  7. N

You can see in the REW graph in the original post that any overall level difference is too minute to be visible.
  8. N

My HRTF Target vs Harman Target

Looking more into the confusion in the Harman papers. The first publication that I know of the Harman curve is in Olive 2013, where in no uncertain terms they used a stereo system and a Gras 43CA, and "equalized [the headphone] to match the in-room target response of the loudspeaker measured at...
  9. N

Yes, the HRTF is direction dependent, which is why the HRTF is specified with respect to the sound field, the combination of sound directions. The sound field Harman proposed is that of a loudspeaker in room, which includes direct sound from loudspeaker plus reflections included already. On a...
  10. N

In a previous post, I detailed how I measured my own Harman like target for my own head, which involved measuring my own HRTF using a loudspeaker and an in-ear microphone. Even headphones that follow the Harman curve on a dummy head measurement needed correction on my head. Is it due to my...
  11. N

Upon closer inspection, even though one HRTF has a larger magnitude than the other, their spectral tilts are about the same overall, so the eq isn't much different, since I'm only eq'ing broadly anyway. If, say, you divide the traces to compute HRTF, you'll get the wrong result if one isn't an...
  12. N

Yes, the Smyth Realiser and Harman's work were motivations. Related measurements and calculations have also been discussed on various forums, including from myself some years ago. All previously known concepts here, but I hope this post will be a practical guide that others can use to improve...
  13. N

Published headphone measurements and Harman's target curve are derived based on measurements using a dummy head, with the intention that it represents an average of human heads. For people whose heads match the dummy's exactly, they should expect perfect Harman sound. What if my head isn't the...
  14. N

Revel Salon2 measurably and ABX audibly improved by $5 silicone pads

There is a cheaper device than the C411 that can get indicative results. I got these results using a $17 guitar pickup attached to the top of my Revel M105 speakers in a separate experiment: Here "bolts" means the speakers stood on bolts screwed into the mounting holes at the bottom of the...
  15. N

Revel Salon2 measurably and ABX audibly improved by $5 silicone pads

I did try Sorbothane. The short answer is the differences were minor. First, it turns out the pads I was calling "silicone" above was actually polyurethane. I subsequently got some actual silicone pads, and the results were very similar. They both absorbed the big peak around 115hz but differed...
  16. N

Mark Levinson No 5909 Headphone Review

It's clear that there is more to enjoyable headphone sound than the Harman curve. Here we have the perfect specimen in terms of frequency response adherence to the curve, and yet there is a large difference in enjoyment compared with the equally compliant DC Stealth. The Rtings website has a...
  17. N

Topping LA90, Benchmark AHB2: Measurements and recordings comparison

To compare these high performance amplifiers driving Revel Salon2 speakers, I made measurements and recordings after swapping in each amp into the system, leaving every other aspect of the system unchanged. The LA90 was in low gain stereo mode, and the AHB2 was in its lowest gain stereo mode...
  18. N

The normal/biamped files are recorded using the exact same setup using jRiver playing a flac, 15 minutes apart, where the only thing changed was me going to change the connections. In fact I purposedly did the REW measurements separately so I wouldn't have to touch the mics. If by .24 ppm speed...
  19. N

It turns out I can post the entire file if I separate them into individual zips. Here is the actual two files I ABX'd, and you'll see the same SHA1 as in my logs.
Top Bottom