Search results

1. L

CD audio (44.1/16) Club

I'm in my 40s, and I got curious how my hearing was these days. I can't hear the mosquito tone anymore (17+kHz), and I can't hear below -70db, according to https://www.audiocheck.net. I can hear a 14khz tone, but not pass the 14kHz low-pass filter test. So, CD resolution is definitely good...
  2. L

I have a confession

I do not have golden ears. My hearing is normal for my age. I can hear up to 16kHz. I don't have tinnitus. To me, there is no music above 18kHz. I noticed that even when I could hear 20kHz (back when 128kbps MP3s were all the rage). This means all the high res stuff is lost on me. 44.1kHz is...
  3. L

Reframing Objective / Subjective Debate

I mean, it’s very unlikely the following will change anything, but alas... Audio products are not like art. They can have art like qualities, but they also by their nature must be engineered electro-mechanically. The measurements are for the engineering aspect of audio products. Is the SINAD...
  4. L

Can you hear -75dB?

Of course you can. But can you hear it at "normal" volumes? -6 dB (typical music volume) -45dB -65dB -75dB (all files) Try playing -65 and -76dB files right after a normal music file.
  5. L

Ok Audiophile

I saw this and thought...Ok, Audiophile.
  6. L

Neumann KH80 vs JBL 308

TL, DR: JBL 308 hands down. So I bought the Neumanns last month, intended as desktop speakers for my home office. But before setting them up for desk duty, I put them on top of my JBL 308 first gens for comparison. I use the 308s with JBL 310s subwoofer, which has built-in 80Hz crossover XLR...
  7. L

Brand new “headphone” design for VR

This sounds awesome https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/deep-dive/ear-speakers
  8. L

Science, Measurements, and Commoditization leads to FUD

I was looking at some headphone measurements [1] done by a reddit user, using very high end equipment. He even rated them based on Harman target curves. One of the best measuring headphone was the NAD HP50 [2], which is $150 new on Amazon. Yes, those were designed by ex-Harman people, but what...
  9. L

Adjectives

I was reading another thread today, and saw this description about another reader’s DAC: “[it] gave a detailed, clean and pleasant sound” What is this? A DAC is transparent or it is not. If one wants to break it down further, maybe there are: - no measurable distortion: transparent -...
Top Bottom