Search results

1. L

What is the cheapest system (less than 500 euros/dollars) that surprised you with its sound quality?

Another vote for JBL 308 (and the 310s subwoofer). The price/sound quality is in the obscene category (that is, definitely beyond good, or great, or outrageous).
  2. L

What does it take to succesfully transition to a green energy economy?

These are In My Humble Opinion, from United States perspective. There are different definitions of Green. I take it to mean "de-carbonized", since climate change is the most serious threat to humans. Internalizing the cost of carbon in our economy. For example, Meat and carbon fuels needs be a...
  3. L

CD audio (44.1/16) Club

Well actually... Below is a chart showing where the low-pass filter is for LAME encoder. My ability to ABX LAME -V0 is not because of the low-pass filter, but the pre-echo characteristics of the mp3 format. Frequency cutoff is not the primary way of how lossy audio compression works. For...
  4. L

CD audio (44.1/16) Club

What does this mean? As I said in a post 5 months ago, I can abx lame -v0 for certain samples. I understand the limits of my hearing.
  5. L

CD audio (44.1/16) Club

I'm in my 40s, and I got curious how my hearing was these days. I can't hear the mosquito tone anymore (17+kHz), and I can't hear below -70db, according to https://www.audiocheck.net. I can hear a 14khz tone, but not pass the 14kHz low-pass filter test. So, CD resolution is definitely good...
  6. L

The quintessential 80s pop song?

Not enough Michael Jackson on this list, I think. Still, continuing the trend:
  7. L

Why do they remaster 80's digital recordings in 192/24?

I think when they find out that their beloved classical collection wasn't "pure" enough, they go looking for audiopile labels who use audiopile equipment and process. And then they can be sure they're listening to great music!
  8. L

Why do they remaster 80's digital recordings in 192/24?

OP is right. How do you people listen to "music" that's been subject to so much manipulation? I refuse to subject my golden ears to brick filtered 22kHz signal, mixed on a DAW with only 18 bits of precision. And only 2 channels? What a joke. Tomorrow, I'm going to unsubscribe from Spotify...
  9. L

The state of lossy audio in 2022.

As an anecdote, I did some serious listening tests (abx) last summer, and try to find the "near transparency" point for different codecs. I hadn't done this in a decade or more (pre Opus), and I'm in my 40s. For most typical music, casually listening, LAME -v4 (163kbps), Vorbis -q4 (128kbps)...
  10. L

how does one achieve such excellent sound quality on youtube?

This is absolutely false. See my post above. Generally, Youtube plays the highest quality audio unless your bandwidth is very restricted. I was given 720p video but still highest quality audio (opus, format id 251). When I manually set the video quality to 480, it still gave me opus.
  11. L

how does one achieve such excellent sound quality on youtube?

This is a "science" forum, so I'm going to show you the specs and not some imaginary magic bitrate. Nobody knows what the original upload audio format is, but the highest quality audio for this video is 129kbps aac and 136kbps opus. Pasted below is the output from yt-dlp -F, which shows all the...
  12. L

The Truth about many "Audiophile" Piano Recordings

Here is a potato quality video of a 15 year old kid playing the piano. I will take this over any "audiophile" piano recording any day of the year. Cheers.
  13. L

Is Crypto Dead?

Is crypto: Decentralized? Private/anonymous? Store of value? Inflation hedge? Secure? Is it even money?
  14. L

New Genelec 8341a speakers too revealing?? Any other recording studio mishaps that made it through to commercial release?

This is discussion is like talking about photo editing before and after Photoshop. Before, all kinds of mistakes were left in pictures. Sure, there was some rudimentary (analog) fixing of mistakes, but after Photoshop, almost every photo is absolutely perfect. Similar happened with music. With...
  15. L

Information Could Be the Fifth State of Matter

None of the this stuff can be observed or noticed by human perception. It's highly sensitive instruments all the way down. Yet audiophiles perceive differences that instruments cannot detect. They must truly be gods.
  16. L

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Cable burn-in is now scientifically confirmed. It was molecular structure change with electron flow all along. These dumb "scientists" who can't explain how power flows got it wrong again! Back to rubbing two sticks for fire for me then.
  17. L

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

So much convoluted reasoning to justify the price or the measurements in this thread. Since The Matrix is back in theaters, Red Pill or Blue?
  18. L

Speaker wires don't carry any energy (power).

Someone finally did the experiment! TLDR: current starts to flow immediately. Full current after light speed delay.
Top Bottom