Search results

1. OWC

"Analysis" of cardioid speaker radiation via lateral slots - like D&D 8c

I am missing total context here, who is we, what kind of driver, what design are you referring to?
  2. OWC

I am a little confused what you're trying to show with the phase here? That might be as well as an artifact, which makes me believe when looking at the totally erratic phase behavior above 800Hz. The in- or out-of-phase part only contributes in the polar response, but looking from on single...
  3. OWC

@ctrl Thanks for the effort. As far as I know, VituixCAD is not optimized for modelling and simulating open-baffle or dipole systems (but I might be wrong). I am talking about dipole here, because it simplifies thing a bit. One very important parameter for dipole systems (which also counts for...
  4. OWC

It is interesting though. I have been looking at a couple of 6-8 inch woofers, and this region is usually the lowest as well as being predominantly even order distortion. (Something I was already expecting, but just did a double check). H3 often even dips in this region. Which is very...
  5. OWC

Is this approach better than a coaxial speaker ?

Semi-acoustically transparent works two ways. So there isn't really a waveguide either. Unless you found a material that it does specifically for higher frequencies with a very sudden transition region. We are talking about a region that is less than an octave or two. Don't forget that the...
  6. OWC

At these frequencies, there are no "individual sound sources", since the wavelength of the frequencies are much bigger than those sources. This is called the lumped element or control system region. About the distortion coming from the ports and damping material. I doubt about its significance...
  7. OWC

That is doppler distortion. So technically one could also prevent the woofer from have to much excursion ;) One of the compromises of coaxial speakers, is the shape of the cone. For rigidity purposes, as well having a nice off-axis response the woofer needs a different shape than what is...
  8. OWC

What's always with the screamy, provoking sentences and titles here? Can we just phrase it on a more objective, constructive and neutral way? Thumbs down for using these things. The same goes for "If you belong to "one or the other" then this post might not be right for you" That is already...
  9. OWC

As long as you cross the speaker below the first inference mode (path length difference between the two speakers), any speaker is the same as a coaxial. In practice we only have to concern the vertical off-axis response as well as the vertical directivity. It's extremely debatable how...
  10. OWC

Audio analyzer project

Oh yeah, sorry I know. Same here. That was not my point. Still found those videos extremely interesting to watch! :) fyi, they are definitely NOT only for Chinese DAC manufacturers! There are some very good points in those videos that even a lot of well respected companies make mistakes with...
  11. OWC

Audio analyzer project

Right but do you really want that full bandwidth is what I mean? For board design, I would HIGHLY recommend some videos Robert Feranec made about PCB design. Especially the ones with Rick Hartley; and the one with Eric Bogatin; As for the input, what I find a really nice combination, is...
  12. OWC

Audio analyzer project

Nothing major I see, except for just a few different things, but that is a matter of taste. :) I was wondering why you're using a 3rd order MFB after the DAC? (well 4th if we take the I/V filter from the previous stage as well) What bandwith are you aiming for? It's now around 300kHz or so...
  13. OWC

Audio analyzer project

For prototyping, I stopped using 0402. Yes it's doable and I can solder it without problems, but it's not worth all the extra hassle. I usually start with 0603 or 0805. If the whole concept works, I will make it smaller if the design really needs it.
  14. OWC

Do you distrust some engineering? Like bridges, roads, electronics, buildings, vehicles, planes, trains etc etc?

Trusting or believing in one sentence with science. It still always raises an eyebrow here. First of all, it's not some kind of "religion", so there is not common sense of just believing. If tomorrow a whole new paper came out with solid prove that certain ideas are totally wrong, everyone is...
  15. OWC

"Secrets" about the consumer audio business you may find interesting

You clearly have never been around French, Spanish or Italian people/culture? ;):D They can get pretty passionate about these kind of things. Those that sounds silly? I don't know, any culture/country has its weird and funny quirks were people can get totally passionate about. I know countries...
  16. OWC

I would even say THE most important thing in the end. Even down to parts themselves. You can give a tweeter a nice fancy aluminum faceplate. That feels great and all (maybe looks?). Acoustically speaker it doesn't do a whole lot. Same goes for very expensive finishes and all. Personally I find...
  17. OWC

No i was being sarcastic obviously. In the examples I know it's not about if people are "popular". With these companies, you're just a number. When you meet certain (artificial) criteria, you're out. They simply don't care if you're valuable or not, that's how disconnected these companies are...
  18. OWC

As valuable you are to the investors. It's a personal experience/opinion, but I have seen so many engineers first fixing an entire companies *ss and being laid off 3 months later. Actually I have seen that more often than not.
  19. OWC

No, how valuable a worker is, depends on how much direct/indirect profit he/she gains vs how much he/she costs. So the very hard truth is that people in like administration or so, are very expensive. Obviously they are very much needed and valued as a person for what they do, but they don't gain...
  20. OWC

Audio analyzer project

It's a little hard to follow, but are those numbers with or without the input section? Or is it just direct in - direct out? It's a little hard to judge what exactly is going on without a schematic/PCB. I had the occasional ADC/DAC in the past that was very picky for board layout, or the right...
Top Bottom