Search results

1. J

Best headphones in the $500-$800ish range?

I am very happy with my Altiat CAL1H. It is built like a tank and doesn't need EQ (Harman fit). https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/altiat-cal-1h.25674/ https://www.head-fi.org/threads/altiat-cal-1h-%E2%80%94-official-discussion-impressions-thread.961844/...
  2. J

SE MusicLab - variable room acoustics, direct sound experience at 5m listening distance

I visited SE Musiclab in Wabern on 20th Feb in a small group of 6. Extremely impressive. The sound is totally immersive and completely reproduces the soundspace of the mix. It really shows the differences in 3D mixes. Some classical mixes are 'realistic', giving an illusion of sitting in a...
  3. J

The Observer view on the vinyl revival: LPs are the antidote to a frenetic digital world

I get it that this forum is about identifying the lowest cost way to achieve transparent sound reproduction. And in its work (and especially Amir's huge investment into measuring devices) it has contributed significantly to the development of the state of the art in the industry. I do wonder...
  4. J

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

Great thread, thank you. Can you tell me how you extracted lossless 24/96kHz Audio from this stream? My scan of the youTube video's formats shows the following. mp4 and opus are both lossy: [youtube] rEGOihjqO9w: Downloading webpage [youtube] rEGOihjqO9w: Downloading android player API JSON...
  5. J

Need advise, KEF Blade One Meta, B&W 801D4 or Genelec 8361+731A?

I actually bought the Stenheim Alumine THREE SEs because of their lack of coloration. And yes, they do measure a lot during development and production. They have come a very long way since the original Alumine TWO ten years ago.
  6. J

Need advise, KEF Blade One Meta, B&W 801D4 or Genelec 8361+731A?

Stenheim Alumine FIVE SE should fit the bill. Or the next model up, the Ultime Reference 2. Stenheims are known for high sensitivity and being a benign load on amplifiers (see attached links). I own Stenheim Alumine THREE SE. Just a happy end customer, not affiliated with Stenheim. Best regards...
  7. J

Digital phase control data?

acourate will do the job for you
  8. J

The Death of Windows 10

It is indeed very simple, using rufus to burn a Windows 11 USB boot medium. This is about as difficult as installing Windows 10 from a USB boot medium.
  9. J

How To Play Apple Dolby Atmos Music Over AVR

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/apple-music-lossless-is-finally-coming-to-windows-11.40922/ The Apple Music app for Win 11 does lossless stereo but not Atmos
  10. J

New Volumio Rivo

I listen to classical a lot and to my ears strings sound less shrill with the LPS. No double blind test, only subjective impression. YMMV
  11. J

New Volumio Rivo

I have been using Volumio Rivo for a while now. In my view it benefits significantly when powered by a good 5V LPS
  12. J

SMSL M500 MKIII DAC & Amp Review

I was wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on my previous post Thanks a lot
  13. J

I have had my SMLS m500 Mk3 for a few days now. Quite an achievement for 500 USD. I have bought the unit mainly for headphone duties. I have noticed that my unit seems to sound significantly better connected via my Neukomm CDA126S preamp than connected directly to the Neukomm PA18 Monoblocs. Now...
  14. J

I am planning to use the m500 Mk3 feeding a Violectric V280 FE HPA through XLR and active speakers containing ICEpower200ASC modules through RCA. Is there a degradation of SQ to be expected by connecting both outputs at the same time?
  15. J

I sympathize with the team at SMLS. I would probably make a huge mess of designing a screen with Chinese characters. Someone on this forum must know the folks at SMLS. With a bit of help, it should be a piece of cake to fix the awful looking "PCM" label and sort out the fonts in general
  16. J

Both DAC are transparent as measures by Amir, why one not as clean sounding as the other?

When you listen, your DACs are not connected to an analyzer. They are operating in a different environment. Your DACs are interacting with the next devices in line (cables, preamp or power amp) that have input characteristics that are different from those of amir's analyzer. You are always...
  17. J

Speaka USB DAC and Headphone Amp Dongle Review

I thought all DAC chips sound the same?
  18. J

Speaka USB DAC and Headphone Amp Dongle Review

For around a week I have an XtremePro X1. I bought it because it measures well and it should be a distinct improvement over the output of my MacBook air (M1). Disappointingly the XtremePro X1 sounds significantly worse using various headphones (Sennheiser PX100 II, Etymotic ER4XR, Focal Utopia)...
Top Bottom