Search results

1. MickeyBoy

Audiophilia and its discontents

The current issue of Harper's magazine has a curious article about some fringe audiophiles. Link. The author, Sasha Frere-Jones, apparently a jazz musician, music critic, and naif about sound reproduction, describes his peregrinations among some of the wilder partisans of what he calls triode...
  2. MickeyBoy

JBL Studio 580 - same distortion as in the Stage A-180 ?

They are very similar designs, with two vertically mounted 6.5 inch woofers. Amir and others have indicted the woofers in the A-180. I think I hear the same distortion in both models. My ancient ears of course could be wrong. I think it unlikely that the compression driver and horn of the Studio...
  3. MickeyBoy

JBL Stage A130 vs A180

Amir, it’s all your fault, with that enticing review of the A130. So I have two Stages and subjected them to what testing I could to see if there were any differences worth fretting about. Bottom line, basically there were not. The A130 is IMO a terrific product, still available from Crutchfield...
  4. MickeyBoy

SOLD ---FS: Infinity Reference RC263 center -- $190

I am the original owner and have the box: 29.5 X 13 X 16 weighing 34 lbs. Buyer pays (exhorbitant) shipping. Samples using UPS Ground: Chicago $37; Nashville $45; Houston $55; Seattle $82. I am in central Missouri and might be able to deliver by car within a two-hour drive.
  5. MickeyBoy

FS: Infinity Reference R263 (pair) -- SOLD

Freight charges have increased ridiculously the las few months. This has killed several deals. Apparently even if you have a contract with UPS or FedEx. The boxes just fit into my Honda CR-V and I am willing to deliver them within a day's round trip from Columbia, Missouri. Buyers pays my...
  6. MickeyBoy

Damaged UMIK-1 - could anyone use it?

I managed to let it fall on the floor. It no longer works and miniDSP says they do not repair. I have the box tripod, etc. First one to reply gets it. Would be nice to get postage.
  7. MickeyBoy

FS: GoldenEar Triton One towers - $2,600

Excellent operating and cosmetic condition. They have been very highly reviewed, notably by Stereophile. They are for sale because I am not taking full advantage of their virtues. Because of the room I need to use subwoofers, meaning I am throwing away the powerful low end and their built-in...
  8. MickeyBoy

FS: GoldenEar Triton Ones

These are the Ones, not the revision, the One.R. I am the original owner. I have the original boxes and will deliver to the STL area or anywhere in Missouri for the cost of gas. $2,600/pair. Contact me for shipping out of state. The reviews of this speaker have been uniformly excellent. (See...
  9. MickeyBoy

FS: pair Infinity Reference R162 -- SOLD

They are as good as new. Black. I have the original box. Used 4-5 months as ambiance speakers until I replaced them with the Infinity R263 towers. They have a very open, airy, spacious sound that is immediately apparent to my tired old ears. Good bass. Reviews say they can play very loud. Amir...
  10. MickeyBoy

Questions re hardware requirements for jRiver

I need to update my desktop & thought I would set it up for a basic system. jRiver's list of hardware requirements seem outdated and make little sense to me. I thought it would make sense to store music files in a dedicated m.2 SSD on the motherboard and play them as a bitstream via jRiver to my...
  11. MickeyBoy

Infinity Reference 162 - Revel quality for $175/pair - comments?

This design is 5+ years old, but has the typical marks of Revel speakers: curved sides, oblong waveguide for tweeter, CMMD membranes, &c. More detail here: https://tinyurl.com/yxjs6lrg I have been unable to find many reviews. There is a 5-year warranty with free returns within 30 days; Harman...
  12. MickeyBoy

FS: Oppo 205

SOLD. I don't need to tell you what an excellent piece of gear this is. See Amir's and Archimago's reviews. Bought directly from Oppo Digital; I have everything, including the box. $1,900 seems like a competitive price. It is cosmetically and operationally as good as new. So why am I selling...
Top Bottom