Search results

1. MickeyBoy

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

I should be a newbie for asking this question: is there any reason to use LFE for music? For Blu-Ray and SACD in particular I have never used LFE. "E" is for effects, naturlich.
  2. MickeyBoy

The Netherland Bach society - St. Matthew passion

How about the Saint John Passion by the same forces? Plus a theological intro to the piece: https://wolfmueller.co/bachs-st-johns-passion-a-quick-start-guide/
  3. MickeyBoy

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

"If it's not audible then the issues it was counteracting weren't audible either." Unless I am missing something basic, this does not make sense. If something being cancelled out is audible before cancellation, then it and the cancelling signal should not be audible at all. The idea is that...
  4. MickeyBoy

The Netherland Bach society - St. Matthew passion

Thanks for starting this thread. Here is a link to a not-too-long discussion of the Matthew Passion, originally sung for Good-Friday Vespers: https://brightmorningstar.org/saint-matthew-passion/ I would like to point out an historic performance by the Bruno-Kittel-Chor and the Berliner Phil...
  5. MickeyBoy

JBL 4349 Review (Studio Monitor Speaker)

What are "Shirley stereo errors"? That term is new to me. TIA.
  6. MickeyBoy

How Deep Must the Bass Be?

I imagine that bass freqs would sound very different with Dirac ART. Would be more than curious to hear from someone who has used it.
  7. MickeyBoy

Dog help: any vetanerians in the house?

Amir, Please post a photo of your baby.
  8. MickeyBoy

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

Am I reading the driver components graph correctly? It would appear that the lower woofer -the dashed line - is effecting the crossover with the tweeter? And Amir measured harmonic distortion with the bottom woofer only? Strange. The 2.5 design uses the upper woofer to crossover to the tweeter...
  9. MickeyBoy

Wood acoustic diffusers have become a decorative item - loved the idea!

I think we need to know if there is a rule of thumb for the diffuser area / room volume.
  10. MickeyBoy

JBL M2 Clone

I'm a bit confused about these crossovers. They appear to be used to protect the compression driver when used with Crown power amps. I wonder if there are any passive crossovers so that the clone M2s could be used with a single amp.
  11. MickeyBoy

Sound engineer's monitoring and HiFi + HT system with active Yamaha NS-1000x, multi-subs and FIR QSys processor in a particular and treated room

Mille mercis, M. Kirkwood. A mic boom up to 17m high is really necessary where you recorded. I assume you used two omnis. Even more interesting is the active participation of the organist. Since the organ loft is the worst place to enjoy good sound quality, M Isoir was able to hear how his...
  12. MickeyBoy

Best Piano Recordings

I just listened to Zimerman's 2022 CD recording for DG of several Szymanowski pieces. Zimerman doesn't carry his personal piano on tour, but a keyboard modified to his liking. I seem to remember that it struck the strings in different places from a standard Steinweg. Most of the pieces were...
  13. MickeyBoy

Sound engineer's monitoring and HiFi + HT system with active Yamaha NS-1000x, multi-subs and FIR QSys processor in a particular and treated room

M. Kirkwood, I see that you are responsible for most of the CDs of Isoir's complete Bach. The CDs show recording dates from 1975 through 1991, a rather long time ago. I wonder if you would share your thoughts about the most successful recordings, those that more faithfully convey the acoustic...
  14. MickeyBoy

Suggestions for Hafler DH220 service?

Musical Concepts, St Charles, MO.
  15. MickeyBoy

Review and Measurements of NAD T758 V3 AVR

I've been using the preouts for the main speakers for years with no problems. Your unit is clearly defective. NAD should give you a new one.
  16. MickeyBoy

Many thanks, JStewart. The diagram shows that the order of processing is (1) the crossover (including the subwoofer?); (2) filters for the individual speakers based on volume calibration modified by a target curve. The NAD allows for rear and height speakers (not in the diagram.) I assume...
  17. MickeyBoy

I use my T-758v3 with Dirac v3 and a sub. The crossover between main speakers and sub is set to 80Hz. NAD tells me that both high-pass and low-pass have Linkwitz-Riley 4th order slopes. My question concerns whether the corrections of the Dirac filters happen first and then the crossover between...
  18. MickeyBoy

Audiophilia and its discontents

The current issue of Harper's magazine has a curious article about some fringe audiophiles. Link. The author, Sasha Frere-Jones, apparently a jazz musician, music critic, and naif about sound reproduction, describes his peregrinations among some of the wilder partisans of what he calls triode...
Top Bottom