Search results

1. R

Auditory Resolution

Resolution is a totally mundane idea in vision. I don't mean pixels in the digital domain. Analogue optical devices have a specified resolution in terms of spatial frequency and contrast. But I cannot find any such metric for sound reproduction. I suppose for sound you would need a temporal...
  2. R

Struggling with noise and I think I'm out of my depth...

Hey everyone, I recently switched from an rpi 4 to a NUC 8 i5 acting as Roon Core, Roon endpoint, Spotify Connect, and Shairport receiver. All through Equalizer APO. I had no issues with the pi setup, the NUC however, produces audible crackle, noise, hum, hiss, wheer, jeer, gurrr... This...
  3. R

Physics of frequency response irregularity around 500-600hz?

I'm going through measurements of two way monitors (with crossover frequencies of around 2kHz), and so many of them exhibit this anomalous behavior (usually either a dip or a peak, but sometimes a full somersault) around 500-600Hz. I thought maybe the driver size and the wavelength at that...
  4. R

Well measuring DAC with iOS control app?

Is there a well measuring DAC whose volume and input source can be controlled from your iPhone? I know that big brands like NAD and Marantz have this option, but my plan is to use the DAC in preamp duty into a purifi amp, and really don't want the DAC to become the bottleneck in the signal...
  5. R

What are the possible kinds of nonlinearity in a system?

I often see harmonic distortion and IMD in the freq. domain, and deviation from linearity in amplitude. Is there a corollary or some theorem in signals and systems suggesting that these three exhaust all forms of nonlinearity? In another thread it was suggested that amplifiers might have...
  6. R

NAD partners with Purifi, working on an Eigentakt amplifier

Their NC400 incarnation seemed to do well. Now they're working on an Eigentakt: https://nadelectronics.com/nad-electronics-and-purifi-audio-announce-cooperation-agreement/
  7. R

Do speakers need to be fixed in place?

My bookshelf speakers sit on top of a solid TV console, with their front sticking out the edge of the console to at least somewhat mitigate early reflections from the console top. They are not fixed in their place and with enough force you could slide them in any direction. They weigh about 30...
  8. R

Can you fix cancellation by changing phase?

My right speaker's measurement (see below) shows a dip from around 80 Hz to 130 Hz. The details of it change depending on where I make the measurement, but the dip is consistently present in all of them. I know that I can fix this by re-positioning the speakers. But that's not an option, I can...
  9. R

My Impressions on Ascend Sierra 2 vs Focal

When recently I went on looking for new speakers, I couldn't find much info on the models that I had my eyes on. I'm writing this here so that it may be of help to others considering these speakers. In 2012 I bought a pair of Klipsch RB-61 II. At the time I lived in a remote area in the...
  10. R

BruteFIR reduces volume on Digi+ Pro

Not my first post, but I don't think I have introduced myself yet: Hi everyone, my name is Reza and I live in the Bay Area. I am not a hardware tinkerer, but I do a lot of M.L. R&D for my day job, which has a healthy portion of software tinkering to it. Up until now my audio system had...
Top Bottom