Search results

1. S

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Don't know, but were you aware of the recent controversy about this DAC?
  2. S

Loudness compression, loudness wars.. What exactly it is and why is it happening?

Battery life lasts longer if the user doesn't have to keep the volume as high (it requires more energy to output smaller waveforms at enjoyable listening levels). So popular music was increasingly made loud to maximize the battery life of people's iPods and phones.
  3. S

Review and Measurements of HIFIMAN EF2A DAC and Headphone Amp

How can you tell stamping depth from a top-down photo?
  4. S

Review and Measurements of HIFIMAN EF2A DAC and Headphone Amp

How does one know the chip has been "polished and reprinted" (as Google Translate says)? "The mark of ◎ is collapsed at 901s " I have trouble seeing much difference.
  5. S

Hardware Teardown of Schiit Fulla (V2) DAC and Headphone Amplifier

The D30 is about the size of the Modi (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/topping-d30-versus-schiit-modi-2-dac-review-jpg.12682/), which is larger than the fulla 2 or fulla 1. It doesn't have a headphone amp. You buy the $120 A30 to stack on top of it, so for both...
  6. S

The D30 is just a DAC, though and costs more. It's also a larger unit.
  7. S

Headphone Amp/Dac Recommendations

As I understand it, planar magnetics like the PM-3 are the least affected by output impedance, in comparison to dynamic and balanced armature types of headphones.
  8. S

Do gain switches change output impedance?

It's OK.. I think I may have asked this question before, actually. I realized once I posted, that I'd had the thought before, just my memory is a bit bad.
  9. S

Do gain switches change output impedance?

Such as in portable DAC/amps TEAC HA-P50 and Sony PHA-1? High gain have higher output impedance? If older headphones were expected to be used with somewhat high output impedance, don't they sound their best if not using modern ultra low OI sources? Like they were designed in mind to be used...
  10. S

Invitation: Audible intersample clipping test

But why not just reach for the volume dial and turn it down if something is too loud, then turn it up when it is too quiet? isn't that just "manual" replay gain?
  11. S

Invitation: Audible intersample clipping test

Is ReplayGain any different from just turning the volume down? I mean, I'm not talking about per-album vs per-track. I don't see how it affects the peaks. Isn't (almost) the same digital data being played back, but at a lower volume? like you moved Foobar's internal volume setting to 70%? I get...
  12. S

The Fulla 2 generally sounded good to me, but it had a scratchy pot. I never knew what the problem was. I sent it back at my expense and got it temporarily repaired -- the problem started coming back a few days later. Several other people on Head-Fi had the same problem. I put in a lot of...
Top Bottom