Search results

1. F

Kii THREE Review

Show the speakers to your wife and ask her. Sound wise - both so good you won't believe it.
  2. F

What advice you wish you could have given to your younger self or someone new to this hobby?

Having been at it for 55 years, I can't think of anything always having had golden ears and a spendthrift heart. The marketplace is so different now with no real audio stores to go to. For those in the market now, I'd suggest the following (YMMV!) Keep the signal chain digital and don't worry...
  3. F

New Year's 2024 Audiophile resolutions

Probably nothing other than continuing to listen to oddball stuff. Always keeping an eye out for some affordable used Kii BXTs for my Kii 3s.
  4. F

New Year's 2024 Audiophile resolutions

Good luck - you have a lot of work ahead! You may want to decide whether to try blues OR classical guitar as they are completely different in terms of how they are played!
  5. F

I'm surprised so many audio companies exist

It is like high fashion. It is fad-driven and meant for wealthy dillletantes who entertain themselves by buying things and then showing them off. The cost of entry for a cable manufacturer is real low. For more expensive items, the gimmick is to price at what you need to make money, not to...
  6. F

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Nevertheless, these small monitors will be omnidirectional up into the low midrange and in the bass, and depending how far you are from them this omnidirectional sound will color what you hear, as it ends up in the room. For best sound, you need acoustic treatment around the speakers or cardioid...
  7. F

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

When I switch phase linearity off and on in my Kiis, I hear no difference. Amir does have documentation of several empirical studies that show that it makes no audible difference. Go figure!
  8. F

Kii Three Measurements

Well, for what it is worth, many professional recording engineers in reviews have commented on the transparency of the kii and assigned it to their cardioid nature. I guess I just assumed that all the pro reviewers knew what they were talking about (as well as the designers and commentary from...
  9. F

Kii THREE versus KII THREE/BXT

This is years old, but in case there is any interest - I have kii 3s and have experimented with removing floor bounce by putting 4 inch deep acoustic absorbers on the floor between the speakers and the listening spot. I was surprised that the sound clearly improved - more clarity in the...
  10. F

Kii Three Measurements

The point is that cardioid speakers will sound less colored in nearly ANY room. In the picture above - what is all that behind the speakers? Absorption? If it is, then the tests are invalid for listeners in normal rooms. Otherwise, all of the omnidirectional sound will reflect from that wall and...
  11. F

Quebec audiophile shows off his new Hi-Fi system, very expensive set up

I appreciate and feel sorry for you and your evident unhappiness but you do not know me. The 20K I sent to GiveWell last month costs more than my stereo that sounds much better than his. I feel he is a sucker, but he may not be. If he feels he got a good value because of the sound quality of...
  12. F

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

I second that whole-heartedly. I have loved my Genelecs for years, but my Kiis are a whole new bag - cardioid! I did find that some PEQ for the room resonances and bass traps and some sound absorption to kill floor bounce helped - just don't trip over those absorber panels on the floor!
  13. F

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

My system - Kii 3s, some room treatment (Bass traps in the corners and back wall, sound absorption on the floor in front of the speakers), some digital PEQ for room resonances, and sound from my computer directly digital into the DACs in the Kiis, and some Ravel, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Third...
  14. F

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Kronos Quartet Folk Songs has Natalie Merchant and other women singing beautifully with a natural sound and of course terrific and unusual string quartet accompaniment. Cecile McLorin Salvant is among the best female vocalists ever.
  15. F

Quebec audiophile shows off his new Hi-Fi system, very expensive set up

He could save a lot of African children by giving this ridiculous amount of money to GiveWell charities that would use it to buy mosquito nets for them. He does get the PT Barnum award, though.
  16. F

Wilson Chronosonic - why?

Have you ever seen the bills that dentists and doctors send to your insurance company? Not to mention good old daddy.
  17. F

Wilson Alexia V - 2023 Stereophile Speaker of the Year ???

ChatGPT 4 invokes Stereophile = Prompt write a review of A pair of speakers in the style of stereophile magazine - they are huge and expensive but actually sound mediocre but you need to make sure the manufacturer is not upset as they are advertisers in your publication ChatGPT4 response eview...
  18. F

Kii Three Measurements

I doubt if the compression issue is audible at normal volumes (I have not heard DDs but I can't say I have heard compresssion in the Kiis at my moderate listening levels, just by far the most realistic bass ever). But the point remains that the speaker preference ratings ignore a major...
  19. F

Kii Three Measurements

I hope you are right about the DDs - where does Toole talk about cardioid speakers? I can't remember that... I thought the Beolabs were the first and I believe they were not introduced at the time his book came out. In any case, the preference ratings correlation with spinorama data were not...
  20. F

Kii Three Measurements

I wonder if Amir would even review speakers that have breakthrough technology (cardioid) that his Floyd Toole/Harman crowd have ignored. In fact, directed beam technology may have an affect on preference ratings calibration with the spinorama data. Cardioid speakers were not used in the panel...
Top Bottom