Search results

1. C

Test showing EMI/RFI affect on XLR cables

There’s so many things wrong with this “test” that it’s not worth the time to break it down. Also, any English-as-a-first language speaker that pronounces Monoprice like that is a monster :D.
  2. C

Vincent Audio internal DAC's

If it’s implemented correctly I personally think PCM51xx is audibly transparent. Perhaps not in the most extreme cases and tests.
  3. C

BlieSMa T25A-6, T25B-6, T25D-6, T25S-6 - a comparison of dome materials

Does anyone know if you can take the grille and metal surround off? It looks like it's two pieces in some pics, like the Scan-Speak D3004 etc where you can twist or pop off the metal piece. Trying to see if I can integrate these into a car's sail panel that already has a grille and it's just...
  4. C

miniDSP Harmony 8x12 Car Audio Amplifier - Review and Measurements

Wait, in what BMW can you get a Scanspeak 12MU to fit in the door? I was about to install a 11M/12M because I didn’t think anything beyond like 55mm was even worth entertaining.
  5. C

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

It is a recipe for ground loops with unbalanced connections. If you have multiple Class I appliances you will have multiple connections to PE. You can get away with this sometimes, and no problem if you use balanced connections, but adding more is not better. Those amps you mention are Class I...
  6. C

It’s not just a little thought. Putting a power supply inside means it’s going to end up a Class I appliance since no one in small volumes will do the testing or use plastic for Class II double insulated rating. Being Class I means your chassis must be bonded to PE. Potentially not ideal for a...
  7. C

Windows 10/11 sample rate limitation for motherboard audio

It isn’t the OS. Windows 10 and 11 support high sample rates just fine.
  8. C

I have my doubts that this is the issue. I struggle to see how this would cause what is observed if the receiver is able to lock. Most SPDIF inputs tolerate logic levels even if it’s out of spec. Older receivers even performed better with logic levels. Not that it matters because this product...
  9. C

Understanding FPGAs

I’m not being defensive, I said nothing that was incorrect in my first post, but in comes big D swinging “I worked at xxx”. Great, I’m sure you have an impressive CV. I didn’t say FPGAs were unsuitable for space, just *off-the-shelf” aka commercial grade. Which is true. I never meant to imply...
  10. C

Understanding FPGAs

Maybe you should read better. I mean the garden variety commercial parts. I doubt you’re launching commercial grade parts into space. I’m sure you’re quite able to offer a space qualified menu of parts with greater ability to handle SEUs. Or are you telling me all your parts were fine in space...
  11. C

Unlimited FIR taps? yes please

If you are ok with minimum phase then why use FIR at all? You can do the same with less with IIR.
  12. C

You can do an Artix 7 without blind or buried vias if you choose the largest pitch package (0.8mm I think). Not sure what he’s using. Either way I agree with you, it’s definitely not some simple 2 layer board.
  13. C

How can you tell? You don’t even know what you’re looking at. It’s almost certainly a 4 or 6 layer board because on the bottom side is a Xilinx Artix 7 FPGA. You can’t route one on a 2 layer board, period. Audio grade caps are a scam and I see appropriate components here.
  14. C

A Yarn on Digital Risks With Audio

I actually had a system once with one stick of failing DRAM. Miraculously it did get clicks and pops into my recorded audio because it was the upper 8 GB and the program got lucky. But it was definitely noticeable as you say. Nasty pops from full scale impulses.
  15. C

A Yarn on Digital Risks With Audio

This is a wall of BS. You don’t need ECC for audio. Period. If you have randomly flipping bits the system will be unstable. In the event anything made it into your audio, it will manifest as clicks and pops. I hope you also realize that RAID doesn’t prevent or correct any errors. RAID simply...
  16. C

Understanding FPGAs

Yeah, it’s easier to shield than get rad hard components. I’ve designed components in a device with a strong gamma source. We use all off the shelf stuff, including an FPGA, but there’s some lead. Not desirable for space but probably doable for commercial aviation. It becomes a problem for even...
  17. C

The REAL Problem of March Audio's Sointuva WG (Review, Measurements and Reinforcements with Klippel device)

Fair, but that's not really related to the question I answered, though. I also prefer not to prematurely jump to conclusions of a conspiracy.
  18. C

The REAL Problem of March Audio's Sointuva WG (Review, Measurements and Reinforcements with Klippel device)

A couple weeks ago. Amir didn’t appreciate one of his posts asking people to comment in on his video on YouTube. Very unfortunate, in my opinion, as he was actually a draw to this site / section.
  19. C

Lynx Aurora 8 Review (8-channel DAC/ADC)

I completely agree for consumer kit, but for studio / pro / touring gear, space is often at a premium, or at least that's the feedback from the customers. You can get higher I/O density in fewer rack units. It feels like a 4U or 6U interface is a good way to not sell any to the mobile studio...
  20. C

Lynx Aurora 8 Review (8-channel DAC/ADC)

What do you suggest for similar density? There's a reason most high channel count pro interfaces use them. Rack space is at a premium.
Top Bottom