Search results

1. 617

Spatial variance of harmonic distortion?

I was reviewing the mechanism by which the Klippel NFS derives harmonic distortion measurements, and it appears that it does so simultaneously with the frequency response measurement. In other words, the data derived from the multi-distance measurement set can be used to generate plots of...
  2. 617

Personal experiences with small ~4" desktop speakers and subs?

Good afternoon everyone. I have a pair of LSR305 for my computer. I've measured them before, and my particular pair have some response abnormalities, so I was thinking of upgrading to something else. I recently added and mostly integrated a fairly high end 10" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure...
  3. 617

'Resocore' Linear Voice Coil speakers

No doubt driven by the market demand for soundbars, this outfit is producing skinny rectangular 'racetrack' woofers with an unusual linear voice coil: https://www.resonado.com/technology If you look, the voice coil is actually wound in the vertical axis, so it looks like a line if you're...
  4. 617

Calculating power needs for remote audio installation

I was thinking it might be fun to host music nights in my local park. Basic idea, I built two or more really good speakers, large enough for an audience of perhaps 40 people on picnic blankets, then we listen to music for two hours. The speaker design and layout is another discussion...
  5. 617

Any professional acoustics people here? Looking to make a career shift.

Wondering if there are any acoustic engineers or other people working in the sound/vibration business here? I'm thinking of making a career change and would really appreciate it if you had a chance to chat about the field, how you got into it, what you like, what you don't like, areas of growth...
  6. 617

Interesting new kit from PE: Open back midrange 3 way.

Interesting stuff from our friends in Ohio: https://www.parts-express.com/Orion-3-way-High-Output-Bookshelf-Speaker-Kit-Pair-With-Knock-Down-Enclosures-300-7186?quantity=1 For 674 USD you get a big cabinet, an open back coaxial midrange, and an 8 inch woofer. Seems like a very fun speaker...
  7. 617

How do you listen to all the music?? There's so much.

I was listening to an album I like and I knew that I liked the guy who played drums on it. I went on Wikipedia to find other albums and songs that he played on. The list includes some artists I knew (Stevie, Iggy Pop, Smokey Robinson, Jermaine Jackson, David Bowie) and many I didn't know (Roy...
  8. 617

Can active DSP speakers play louder when they are high-passed?

Normally I'd be the person answering this question, but I'm stumped. Traditionally if you take your passive speakers and filter out the bass, you can then let them play much louder than they would otherwise. You can accomplish this filtering using any number of methods from DSP to a sock, but...
  9. 617

Bluetooth board for diy stereo build?

@Wolf and @Rick Sykora I thought you guys might know. I'm wanting to build a Bluetooth speaker for fun, but it would be really nice if there was a way to build a stereo pair of wireless speakers. In other words, you open your phone to pair the speakers to Bluetooth, and you see one device...
  10. 617

Tech Support experience with MOTU

I have a MOTU m4, an interface that I love. It offers hifi sound quality with a good number of inputs and outputs, to support whatever needs I have getting audio into or out of my computer. It has flexible monitoring options, great meters, and I love it. Lately I was having problems with it...
  11. 617

Theoretical minimum noise levels?

I was curious if anyone could address what the lowest possible S/N ratio might be for a line level device such as a DAC. I read somewhere that the Johnson/Nyquist noise of a 300k resistor is -144db at 1khz, but I'm not sure if real world devices can do better or worse. So - putting distortion...
  12. 617

I'm going for a walk, recommend an album to listen to.

When my phone is charged I'm going to go for a walk. Please recommend an album you think is really good, but which I have probably never heard. Must be on Spotify. If I listen to it, I will provide my unvarnished opinion about it. Good vibes preferred. Open to any genre with the exception...
  13. 617

Help designing line level high pass filter?

I was wondering if someone with a little more electronics knowledge than me could help me design and choose parts for a simple passive high pass filter? (from http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html) Questions: I've seen people say that cascading first order RC filters is...
  14. 617

How do you feel about other people using your stereo?

I enjoy listening to music while playing on my phone or reading or playing guitar, but I have to say it has always made me really happy when someone else gets to enjoy your stereo. They don't know all the thought that goes into it, nor has their joy been stolen by comparisons. My girlfriend has...
  15. 617

Why preamps or DACs really should have high pass filters

As is ASR dogma, the best way to get good bass in a room is to use multiple subwoofers, which will generally have a shallow, low pass filter of perhaps 80hz 2nd or first order. There's no standard - some people advocate lower or higher or shallower or steeper. Bass management isn't really the...
  16. 617

Simulating the sound of different wall assemblies

I've written a little article on STC ratings, which should be familiar to anyone with a slight interest in architectural acoustics. By applying the STC contour curve to different sound sources, I found I can actually simulate what different STC ratings will likely sound like, both in terms of...
  17. 617

Building Acoustic Panels at Low Cost

This is a project I've wanted to do for a while. I just ordered some wood and insulation for delivery from Home Depot here in the USA to make 8 acoustic panels, each 23" x 47.5" x 3 5/8" (~60 cm x 120 cm x 8.8cm) It turns out that making eight panels is a sensible and economical number of...
  18. 617

What's the deal with microphones?

I want to record some voice-over stuff, and I have an inexpensive condenser mic. I was not really happy with the sound I was getting, so I started doing some EQ and looking at other microphones that people rave about...and I just don't understand what they're talking about. Can someone address...
  19. 617

Razer 'Opus' Impressions / Opinions on Noise Cancellation?

I wanted some noise cancelling headphones for working at home; the nice weather has brought with it a lot of people making noise in my neighborhood. I saw that Rtings tests noise cancellation, and sorted all 500 of their reviews for noise attenuation and found the Razer Opus were close to the...
  20. 617

Crazy new woofer from Scanspeak

Those looking for the most esoteric and crazy woofer to hold down the bass in a speaker design should look no further than the ScanSpeak Ellipticor 38WE/8582T00. This 15" woofer has it all: First of all, we have an Fs of 26hz, nice and low. On top of that, efficiency is high at 95db...
Top Bottom