Search results

1. 617

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

The bass shelf is actually cool, it indicates the cabinet is a bit oversized for the woofers. Normally the cabinet is made as small as possible. This speaker is a great value I think, although as you point out, it isn't as big as I thought. The tweeter is only 2'-1.5 off the ground though...
  2. 617

Reference 1 is the next up in cost, surely? Kind of a hard sell, honestly. These things look awesome.
  3. 617

I think one of the ironies of the db scale is that people underestimate how big 10db and overestimate how big 1.5db is. 3db is a small but noticeable difference. 1db very subtle. A 1.5 difference in the wiggles of a frequency magnitude response is beyond subtle.
  4. 617

The vertical response is remarkably good for a passive array of this size. That little coax is doing a ton of heavy lifting, to keep distortion low on that little unit operating from 200hz up is very nice work by KEF. $6500 for two of these strikes me as a pretty good deal - isn't this their...
  5. 617

ATC speakers / Monitors

All Anechoic chambers are not alike. Huge difference in capabilities between a 200hz and 20hz anechoic chamber. I'm not even sure if 20hz anechoics exist. Also remember the NFS' advantages beyond the room independence and low frequency resolution. It automatically captures measurements in a...
  6. 617

ATC speakers / Monitors

To me this all comes down to David Gilmour being uncool
  7. 617

JBL Conceal C83 Invisible Speaker Review

I have a friend who does high end venetian plaster for retain spaces like this, I wonder how loud you'd need to run these to hear anything over that.
  8. 617

JBL Conceal C83 Invisible Speaker Review

How did you deal with fire strobes/light sensors and so on? I've mostly seen ceiling systems with slats that you can hide things in but there's something special about a flat white ceiling.
  9. 617

ATC speakers / Monitors

What else besides design would the Klippel NFS be useful for? The industry doesn't require accurate measurements be furnished to the consumer. Let's be clear, this is a piece of equipment that is currently owned and operated by more than one youtuber. It's superior to an anechoic chamber at...
  10. 617

Who do you think is the best music producer and why.?

I'm going with Robert Fripp for his production of the Roches' first album and Daryl Hall's solo album. I don't care about the 'sound' I care about musical decisions and he took those artists to another dimension.
  11. 617

Your latest cool purchase

This is like thirty dollars. Believe me it is fragrance snob approved.
  12. 617

No, it smells like a blend of cypress and vetiver on a very light base of wood and musk. It smells like going for a walk in a pine forest on a nice cold day. Most modern fragrance either smells sweet, like sweet foods, or has a 'blue' shower gel smell popular with young men. There are some...
  13. 617

I buy a lot of fragrance, it's my current major vice, I just got a sample of this and I'm loving it. Suitable for any guy in my opinion, and many women would love it: Quite cheap too.
  14. 617

There's a japanese company called herz that makes similar bags, many many different shapes. Herz-bag.jp, very nice stuff.
  15. 617

Was anybody at the Sean Olive talk at CanJam?

You know, I've been following this subject of headphone targets for some time, and I don't understand the issue as well as many people here, and I don't care, because I equalize my (wireless, noise cancelling headphones) to my own target (what I like.) So I give my equalization a preference...
  16. 617

Is this as good as it gets?

Audio equipment is almost never the impediment to musical enjoyment, as any teenager with a walkman/discman/ipod/phone will tell you.
  17. 617

How to manage the mental somersaults, avoiding brain damage and brain rewiring from reading news?

Pay for actual news, or a monthly digest like the Economist. News in the moment is garbage. Avoid internet and TV and talk to people about what's happening in their lives.
  18. 617

Tom Danley’s new Hyperion

There is some debate as to the proper method of smoothing, but there is little question that the narrowband resonances seen in an unsmoothed response are less audible than the overall trends revealed by a properly smoothed response. Designers use both, but unsmoothed matches our hearing only if...
  19. 617

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

There are about a thousand artists who complain about getting bilked out of their masters, but you have to respect Taylor for wielding her fandom and just remaking the damn albums.
  20. 617

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

If I see her I'll try to let her down easy
Top Bottom