Search results

1. L

Digital format converters with multiple inputs - am I missing anything on the market?

I think the prevalence of powered monitors with AES3 input means that quite a few people are in your shoes. The Motu 8D does what you want - https://motu.com/products/avb/8d At US$600 it's not cheap, but it's one-third the price of an ADI-2. If you want to do the job on lunch money, you could...
  2. L

What is the IPA-Link output from the player PDT 3100 HV?

IPA Link is clearly a proprietary method of connecting this disc player to T+A's HV-Series of DAC's. If you look at the web page of the SD 3100 HV DAC - https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/hv-series/sd-3100-reference-streaming-dac-2/ under Specifications > Connections > Digital Inputs you...
  3. L

Genelec 8341 setup for PC and AirPlay

Yeah, I was going by this - The Motu 8D would be an elegant solution - https://motu.com/products/avb/8d USB in, coaxial S/PDIF in, AES3 out. The only option it's missing is optical S/PDIF in - that would be a problem if you were using a WiiM Mini (as AirPlay receiver), but no problem if you...
  4. L

Genelec 8341 setup for PC and AirPlay

An RCA to XLR cable may be considered a brute force solution for interfacing S/PDIF and AES3. It will work fine in 95% of cases, particularly when the connected equipment is well engineered (such as Genelecs). The Hosa CDL-313, on the other hand, uses active electronics and performs the task in...
  5. L

Seeking Advice: Preamp / WiFi Streamer for Genelec G3 Speakers with Seamless Input Transition

WiiM Mini - has a decent inbuilt DAC. WiiM Pro - same as Mini, but adds Chromecast support (EDIT) and native LMS/Squeezelite support. WiiM Pro Plus - same as Pro, but adds upgraded inbuilt DAC. Whether you will actually hear the difference between the Mini/Pro versus Plus DAC is questionable...
  6. L

Seeking Advice: Preamp / WiFi Streamer for Genelec G3 Speakers with Seamless Input Transition

Well yes, I see now that the WiiM Mini includes an AUXILIARY input, which you may use for the TV. So sure, you could use just the WiiM Mini. If it was my setup, I would use the optical S/PDIF outputs of both the TV and WiiM, and switch between them using a S/PDIF switcher - this allows me to...
  7. L

Yes, an AVR would be a good option too, especially if you wish to go down the surround sound path. If you're happy with stereo, though, be aware that the digital option I mentioned is 30 per cent of the price of the entry-level Denon AVR-X1800H. It may also be worth Googling "HEOS versus WiiM"
  8. L

Traditionally that would involve a bluetooth receiver, and something like an AirPlay receiver ... but why not just get a proper streamer which handles both roles - the WiiM Mini is your go-to device. Then you just need to switch between the WiiM and your TV; - you could do this at the analogue...
  9. L

Yamaha A4A reciever... which streamer?

Definitely. Most, if not all, HDMI controller chips operate only at 48kHz, whereas most audio files are 44.1kHz, and the sample rate conversion which is performed by the chip is of poor quality. If there is no hard drive unit connected via USB to the Node, then your father almost certainly...
  10. L

Yamaha A4A reciever... which streamer?

If your father used the BluOS app (most likely) then yes, any playlists he saved are in the Node, but the music files, themselves, are not. The music files will either be on a network drive (SMB protocol) or a USB drive connected directly to the Node. No, the Node is well regarded, and arguably...
  11. L

Starting with turntables

Agreed. Rega 1 and Rega 2 run circles around other entry-level turntables, and are many people claim that they should not even be classed as entry-level. Whatever the case, Rega 2's are often cherished by their owners. Just ask the people who still use the Rega 2 they bought in the 1970's.
  12. L

BubbleUPNP and Tidal: 24/192 possible?

My suggestion about the possibly of joining a WiiM beta test for Tidal hi-res support was in response to Keith_W's query in post #3. Keith_W apparently has a WiiM Pro. Support for specific streaming technologies has always been a game of catch-up. We can reasonably expect that WiiM and...
  13. L

I just learned that Tidal's own stream re-direction protocol, Tidal Connect, does not yet support Tidal hi res flac. Tidal and their third party partners are working on it. It's the same story with Chromecast. In the meantime WiiM users may consider becoming a beta tester for Tidal hi-res -...
  14. L

According to this post on the BubbleUPnP Google Group - https://groups.google.com/g/bubbleupnp/c/r8DsY2gkxSI/m/p7fYLK0SDQAJ hi-res Tidal is not yet available to third party apps. EDIT - regarding Tidal Connect, see post #4
  15. L

How to play Music from a USB drive in a DAC/Streamer

Sure, a DAC upgrade might be worthwhile, and at your stated budget the Topping E70 possibly offers the best measured performance-per-dollar (the D70 is at a higher price-point). You will still need the Yamaha network streamer as source device, and if it's working well I see no need to replace...
  16. L

Turntable Phono to Digital Toslink / SPDIF / AES Suggestions?

Connecting unbalanced line level signals (such as the outputs of a Rega FONO) straight into a balanced input will work - 95% of the time - but technically it's a kludge. The correct way is to connect via a differential/single-ended converter, such as this -...
  17. L

Best Way to Connect Genelec 8330A to PC?

As staticV3 mentioned, a USB-to-AES3 adapter is the best way to connect computer to Genelecs. This takes full advantage of the Genelec's natively digital input. There are some exotic USB-to-AES3 adapters available, such as the Gustard U18, but that basic adapter on eBay is probably fine...
  18. L

Please kindly recommend me a MM phono stage (bonus if it has a headphone amp!)

I have a classic 1980's Rega Planar 3 which I haven't used for years (digital suits me fine these days) so my knowledge of suitable cartridges is outdated. What do you think about the Denon DL-110? This was flavour of the month a few years ago, and was considered a good match for the RB330...
  19. L

Please kindly recommend me a MM phono stage (bonus if it has a headphone amp!)

Well the NAD might not be that far behind the Cambridge, and what improvement you might gain from NAD to Cambridge may be insignificant compared to the sub-par performance of the Cambridge's headphone amp - which Amir described as a "a throw-away design" -...
Top Bottom