Search results

1. D

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

Yes, you'd do that at the beginning of the pipeline.
  2. D

Assuming a stereo input signal, you can apply your EQ filters to left and rght inputs, or you can apply EQ after splitting up the input with a mixer. If you are using FIR filters for your crossover and for EQ, I would suggest convolving the full EQ with the crossover filters to create a single...
  3. D

What do you mean by "input EQ"?
  4. D

A millennial's rant on classical music

Such refined and exclusive taste! I'm just a simpleton and enjoy dozens of obscure 19th and 20th Century composers.
  5. D

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

It doesn't surprise me that a small acapella choral group would not get rock 'n' roll loud. On the other hand, I wonder what effect something like Tallis's 40-part motet Spem in alium would have in a space like that.
  6. D

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

That's going to be true of much Romantic era and modern symphonic music. The composer wants to wake up the over-fed concertgoers napping in the back row of the concert hall.
  7. D

I hope it goes without saying not so loud as to risk damage to hearing. Beyond that, I'd say you want it loud enough for the quiet parts to have an effect but not so loud that climaxes are unpleasant. So the level also depends on the quality of the recording. In general, I suggest turning up...
  8. D

Great recordings of classical music

Hopefully Sony will get around to an Ormandy RCA box in the not too distant future (they have at least one more Columbia stereo box to go). I got my copy of this from Archivmusic from their on-demand service (notes still in Japanese, though). Their website still shows it as available...
  9. D

He also recorded Symphony No. 3 (the usual final 1889 version) with the Vienna Philharmonic in stereo. It's in the Schuricht Icon box. That duplicates the 8 & 9 unfortunately. The Beethoven cycle is in good mono and preserves the sound of the Paris Conservatory Orchestra back when French...
  10. D

That Schippers disc is one of my favorite Barber discs. There are many good recordings of the Violin Concerto. Stern/Bernstein, Olivera/Slatkin, Hilary Hahn, ...
  11. D

The two recordings I tend to pull out for listening are Baker/King/Haitink and Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer.
  12. D

I believe Mahler conceived Das Lied von der Erde as a symphony. It's definitely not meant to be sung like Schubert Lieder, though the orchestration is often chamber-like. The conductor Lan Shui made many excellent recordings in Singapore for Bis. The Kletzki Mahler 4 coupled with the Das Lied...
  13. D

Speaker placement options in an asymmetric room

I would move the couch up to form a more equilateral arrangement, or even a little closer.
  14. D

What streaming service do you use?

I'm using Qobuz because it works well with LMS, is lossless, and has a good classical selection (though maybe spotify or Amazon have a better selection; I haven't compared). Could you describe your Amazon setup (hardware and software used for playback and control)?
  15. D

Subwoofer feels underwhelming

Sorry, I don't know what to make of all that.
  16. D

Classical ♫ Music only | Some you listen now or recently, some you love...

The Schoenberg truly holds no terrors for her. There have been respectable recordings of it before, but this is on an entirely different level of virtuosity, understanding, and musical communication. Quoting from a review that quotes her booklet notes:
  17. D

Subwoofer feels underwhelming

Yes, but it was based on study that showed a subwoofer could not be localized up to 120 Hz with a 24 dB/octave crossover. I can't find the URL for that right now. I know the conventional wisdom is 80 Hz (with what crossover slope, though?) I use a very steep crossover filter, steeper even...
  18. D

Best classical chamber music albums

The Suk Trio playing all the Dvorak Piano Trios (2 CDs):
Top Bottom