Search results

1. McFly

PSB Synchrony B600 Measurements & Review

IMO no modern speaker should be using a metal dome tweeter that has its first breakup mode in the audible 20-20khz range. Its clearly recorded here at 16-17khz and hidden as a dip in the direct on-axis measurements by use of an acoustic lens or phase plug over the dome. Creates that huge spray...
  2. McFly

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

Of course he left out vertical polars. I bet they aint pretty, and responsible for the dips.
  3. McFly

Introducing the Denotiva DIY speakers!

Yeah is this going to be a Kit for sale? I guess it qualifies as DIY, but yeah, dealers section. Looks good though! What kind of bass extension does that woofer get in that cabinet? What's system sensitivity?
  4. McFly

Current Drive VS Voltsge Drive

I know little of the subject, but I thought for a true current drive amplifier to work, the connected impedance had to be ruler flat, or the output of the amplifier be specifically designed to drive one speaker or driver only? Making current drive amplifiers kind of practically useless in the...
  5. McFly

'Headroom' is a measure of the badness of an amplifier. The bigger the number, the worse the amplifier.

I tend to agree with you. The amplifier with a cost saving undersized power supply will reach the same "peak" as the amplifier with the larger power supply due to both the designs slamming into the voltage rails (the power limit of the design topology), the amplifier with the larger power supply...
  6. McFly

E1DA Cosmos tests

Comtrue USB driver?
  7. McFly

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Max power at 20hz shows 153w? you have 108w written?
  8. McFly

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Was the output impedance of this models preouts mentioned/measured anywhere?
  9. McFly

Let's stop calling Class D amplifiers "efficient" when they are not.

Nice Troll thread John :cool: People need to stop talking about Watts (the REAL power we pay for) and start talking about VA (the Apparent Power which is work the poor power station actually does). So many amplifiers have power factors of 0.5-0.7. They may only be consuming 100W, but they are...
  10. McFly

Dynaudio Heritage Special

Price wasn't part of the equation. Purely comparing speakers.
  11. McFly

Dynaudio Heritage Special

Not bad. But not SOTA either. The 4-5khz peak is textbook edge diffraction. Nasty on axis only. It's a big aesthetic tradeoff. Look at the M105/M106's from revel and the peaks are also there, amongst many many other box, hard-edged front-baffled speakers.
  12. McFly

World's longest-serving audio DAC and ADC chips

Interesting list. People say certain DACs are legendary, but if they were, you'd still be able to buy them new today. The AD1856, perhaps therefore truly legendary? Or does it have a use in some medical machines that are being made serviced in 3rd world countries or something?
  13. McFly

Hypex NC500MP capacitor failure

This is the second hypex fail I've seen. I think the other was a nc122mp, on here too from memory. If anyone know of any others, please post up. I'm not disagreeing with anyone here, I agree some components are cheap asf. But how many do you think they have sold?
  14. McFly

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

Thanks for that - interesting, looks like I've got some more linux learning to do. Could be touch and go as I'm not sure how the node will respond to being connected to the Rpi 4 but this should keep me busy for a while..
  15. McFly

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

Hi mdisimon, thanks for this tutorial. I'd like to give this a try, what extra equipment do you recommend I get to make below work? Currently using a bluesound node > usb to DAC > power amplifier. Only 2.0 in this system. Already have a spare rpi4. What would I need to get either: the USB or...
  16. McFly

Advice Needed: Can't kill the buzz, but the buzz is killing me.

And then your vintage amp kills you one day due to a hot wires insulation breaking down and its sitting on the chassis somewhere. /s
  17. McFly

Minidsp Flex Eight!

Did you try like this
  18. McFly

Hum problem solved

the fug am i looking at here
  19. McFly

Lightweight/Powerful Speaker for Drone? - Wildlife Use

I suggest posting over at DIYaudio too
Top Bottom