Search results

1. O

BACCH4Mac "Absolute Sounds Product of the Year 2024"

Anyway - well done Edgar and the Rocket Scientists at Theoretica! A richly deserved award even if TAS hadn't factored in ORC or all the haters on ASR!
  2. O

Certainly with BACCH, if the listening position is set closer to the speakers, the XTC increases as computed from the in-ear mic measurements.
  3. O

Objectively speaking, people prefer the instruments/ voices that constitute a piece of music to emanate from discrete points in 3d space, rather than a 2d plane bound by two speakers. The former is less fatiguing than the latter. This is true irrespective of the artist's or sound engineer's...
  4. O

Andrew Quint Reviews the Unique BACCH-SP Stereo Purifier

I have ORC for the music room stereo listening. I have DIRAC for the movie room. I would love if Theoretica came out with a home cinema ORC application that could work with AVRs. I don't know if anyone has compared them that way. The stereo setup uses GLM (it's a Genelec system). I can say that...
  5. O

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

I did have multi-sub Genelec subwoofers paired with the baby 8341b, and the W371a is wayyyy better
  6. O

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

Hold on! I thought cardioid meant narrow directivity where the sound is not dispersed evenly but focussed forwards to the listening position to reduce room interactions. I don't believe the W371a is cardioid in the same way the 8c is. This seems to be borne out by the reduced XTC performance of...
  7. O

Edgar upgraded my system to 12.0.4 recently. He suggested that ORC has the biggest impact on narrow directivity speakers and works side-to-side but not so much front-to-back. One can play around with the max allowable boost that is set to 2dB by default. If the measurements suggest a deep enough...
  8. O

Nice observations. Have you carried out the second set of measurements (Pass II, to create a BACCH filter to match the ORC filter) - that should generate a third tab 'measured':
  9. O

The Genelecs have a reflection-reducing mode. I’ll try this for the back wall next (front to back wall is relatively short). As ORC is taking care of frequency response, it actually frees up the W371a to explore the less commonly used room correction modes
  10. O

Yeah OK - it's epic! And the good Prof is a bona fide genius! I get 7.5 when reclined (further back) and 8.5 when sitting forward. While I've yet to hear a system going to -15dB XTC, right now it doesn't really matter that much to me.
  11. O

I don't know - I did see the head animated at one time (with the animation matching my movements relative to the camera in real-time). But only once. Hopefully, Theoretica will publish a more comprehensive user guide
  12. O

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition - For those considering BACCH

In previous sessions (before ORC) with Edgar, he recommended carrying out RC in the other programmes prior to running the BACCH filter. With GLM and the W371s, it would be pointless to not calibrate them prior to ORC - they are designed to be calibrated for either linear frequency response...
  13. O

Cheers - I tried the Olive curve after reading your post and do prefer it. ORC + XTC is an order of magnitude more coherent than bypass. The pre-ORC measurement reflects the GLM-corrected measurement. I have two listening positions, one sitting up on the sofa and the other reclining. What I had...
  14. O

I have mixed feelings about it. In terms of rendering a 3d sound field, it is superb. I'm getting around 8.5dB XTC which is similar or slightly better than before. For me the soundstage has expanded. But I feel the bass is lacking. I'm not sure how to play around with the settings in ORC to get...
  15. O

I suppose in the end, 'audio science' has been built up by correlating listener preferences to physical measurements. Maybe there's a piece of work here investigating listener preference re XTC for different types of recorded music, similar to the work of Toole and Floyd. Has that been done for XTC?
  16. O

It's an annual subscription for technical support and upgrades. I'd strongly recommend you contact them as I think you will be eligible for a free ORC upgrade until some time in March, after which you'd have to pay $1000
  17. O

Fair enough - I don't really care about how 'it was intended to sound', just my subjective preference. In a way, it's a bit like colorising old B&W footage/ films. The original filmmakers and editors worked with a B&W representation of the real-life colourful world that they filmed. They never...
  18. O

I had a listen to this song last night with the XTC filter toggled between on and off (unblinded) in BACCH - I preferred the XTC version. It did not do anything crazy to the placement of the anchored hard-panned sounds but did add a sense of spaciousness to where they emanated from.
  19. O

Am I missing something? If you playback the music on a system without XTC, it won’t demonstrate what BACCH does.
Top Bottom