Search results

1. audio_tony

Any fans of the TDA 1541 USB to RCA DACs?

He's wrong. Modern analogue output stages (assuming he's referring to the DAC output stages) are broadly similar to a lot of DACs on he market today, many even still using the ubiquitous NE5532 opamp. All modern DACs (delta sigma types) sound (and measure) better than the TDAxxxx series of...
  2. audio_tony

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

I have several old optical cables, well used and abused, and I take no care over storage. I've never had any issues with any of them. Contrary to popular belief, optical connections are surprisingly resilient - and I can actually pull the plug out of the socket and just hold it close enough to...
  3. audio_tony

1 foot solid silver conductor interconnect vs. 0.5 foot Mogami W2964 interconnect

It's highly unlikely to ever encounter cables with a really high impedance, I just added that comment as an aside. I do however have a really thick (it must be 8mm to 10mm thick) 1m long interconnect that has such high capacitance that it dulls the top end. It's a Chinese made cable that came...
  4. audio_tony

Any fans of the TDA 1541 USB to RCA DACs?

They didn't even use turned pin IC sockets. How cheap is that!?
  5. audio_tony

1 foot solid silver conductor interconnect vs. 0.5 foot Mogami W2964 interconnect

Not that impedance really matters, because with RF connections (and typically digital) the impedance is matched at both ends, where as a typical audio connection can have an output impedance from ~0 ohms to 10k ohms, and an equally variable input impedance depending on the device - this could...
  6. audio_tony

Combining two RCA audio signals

He means that the amplifier driving the sound bar speakers has floating outputs - this means that neither (+) or (-) speaker outputs are connected to ground. So you are probably shorting one side of the amplifier to ground, hence the hiss. The amplifier is probably a class 'D' which typically...
  7. audio_tony

How to share uncompressed audio with player on ASR etc.?

Just use html5 like this; <!DOCTYPE html> <html lang="en"> <head> <meta charset="utf-8"> <title>Home</title> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"> </head> <body> <audio controls> <source src="yourmusic.flac" type="audio/flac"> Your browser does not support...
  8. audio_tony

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

The goal of galvanic isolation is to prevent ground loops, and not quite as your explanation above. Most good quality CD players from the 1980's had a small transformer on the coaxial output for this very purpose, although as most CD players were double insulated (and as such had no ground...
  9. audio_tony

Importing Sony STR-AZ5000ES or Sony STR-AZ7000ES from the USA

If you expect Sony to cover any warranty on imported units you might be in for a surprise, as they probably won't honour any guarantee. These will be regarded as 'grey' imports. I think you would be better off looking for something from another manufacturer that is available in your country...
  10. audio_tony

Network switch without any leds at all, does it exists ?

I have an HP switch (forget the model) that has an option to disable all LEDs. It's a power saving measure more than aesthetic.
  11. audio_tony

Adding Ethernet cable to Router not to a Switch

So instead of the connection being: router => switch => streamer You want to change it to: router => streamer To answer your question: "Is the "new" connection better than existing? " It won't make any difference. My qualification to answer this question: I have worked with various...
  12. audio_tony

Music For Testing Bass

If this doesn't shake your floors.....!
  13. audio_tony

Music For Testing Bass

Give this one a minute or two to get going.
  14. audio_tony

Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3 B Review

The internal voltage will likely be 15-0-15 (+15v gnd -15v) (this is typical for opamps) but it could be 18 gnd -18 - which means 30v or 36v in total. This will be derived from an internal step up as @Stephen Bayley has said, and will have ample voltage swing.
  15. audio_tony

Can you hear a difference between audio cables? ABX test

I think the title of your thread is slightly misleading, and the thread should have been titled "Can you hear the difference between this signal with and without a ground loop".... You state that your intention is to emphasize that a balanced line is important, however whilst I agree that...
  16. audio_tony

optical network

@Berwhale Have you heard of FS switches? They seem to be good value for money, and have a UK distributor too. https://www.fs.com/uk/
  17. audio_tony

Circuit breaker - which to choose

There is no 'best' ground setup. The ground setup used should be in accordance with the rest of the building (if an apartment block) or according to current standards if a house.
  18. audio_tony

Cheapest way to get pristine SPDIF out on RCA coax from PC?

The DAC part is not that good - I bought it purely for the USB to SPDIF conversion. EDIT: There is a thread about this board on DIY Audio https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/cm6631a-es9023-cheap-board-modification.334312/
  19. audio_tony

Cheapest way to get pristine SPDIF out on RCA coax from PC?

These are very good - I use a couple in my audio test rig, for supplying DACs with an SPDIF signal. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265725141291
Top Bottom