Search results

1. Feanor

How shall I resolve my ambiguity towards my Purifi amp?

A few weeks ago I received my stereo Purifi 1ET400A amp from VTV Amplifier; it has VTV's buffers with Sparkos SS3602 op amps. Unfortunately I have very ambiguous feelings for this amp. My repro chain is FLAC or ALAC files, mostly 16/44.1 ==> Foobar2000 via WASAPI ==> Topping D90 DAC ==>...
  2. Feanor

My DIY Zaph Audio ZRT speaker build

For the heck of it a couple of year back I decide that I wanted to build a pair of DIY speakers. I had a couple of goals: The new speakers must capable of high quality sound, and They must be less imposing than my then current Magneplanar MG 1.6QR panel speakers Before and After the new...
  3. Feanor

Why do so many recording sound bright or "harsh"?

Folks, maybe most or all of us would agree some, (not all but too many), recordings sound overly bright, especially on the top highs. Why is this? And what can be done about it? As for why, one explanation often offered is "close micing", i.e. microphones place very close to the performer...
  4. Feanor

XLR input to amp module connections?

For folks like me with minimal electronics background some ultimate clarification would be useful regarding the connection of XLR input pins to an amplifier module, whether by Hypex, ICEpower, Purifi, Pascal or whoever. Assuming the amp module supports balance input, (as most but not all), do...
  5. Feanor

SOLD: ICEpower 200ASC DIY monoblocks for sale

Folks, I have two DIY'd by me ICEpower 200ASC monoblock power amps for sale. These are only three weeks old and in 'Mint' condition. The cases are from Ghentaudio. Note that I have installed only the XLR inputs as these were all I needed. If you are running only SE with RCA outputs...
  6. Feanor

ICEpower 200ASC monoblocks DIY

I build a pair of ICEpower 200ASC monoblocks with the modules coming from Parts Express and the cases from Ghentaudio -- not the most original or challenging project but something to do during the COVID-9 lockdown. In general the performance of the 200ASC's was beyond my expectation. My...
  7. Feanor

What measures for "dynamic contrast or resolution" a.k.a. PRaT?

Are there objective measures for what I call "dynamic contrast" or "dynamic resolution" -- or what I've heard the Brits call 'PRaT', Pace, rhythm, and timing? By these terms I'm referring to the subjective ability of an amplifier to handle rapid, large or small changes in amplitude. In my...
Top Bottom