Search results

1. S

Is this what is wrong with this hobby?

Clearly measurable and audible fail to be picked up in these tests, the null results so often obtained shows that
  2. S

These are things people are much more sensitive to with short term audio memory. Most ABX tests try and neutralize these aspects and literally try and make the signals sound as similar as possible and utterly confuse people in short burst switch situations and then abstract their short term...
  3. S

No it tells me people suck at these tests and our short term audio memory doesn't work well in these scenarios and these tests Null out actual real differences that appear in normal longer term listening conditions. People fail these tests comparing things have have clear measurable differences...
  4. S

In my 35 years of this hobby I have found much more value from reading real users subjective experience with equipment and source material then tons of pages of people arguing over the proper way to handle an ABX test and why any positive results are bunk and how people should really be...
  5. S

Mine is as well but I would not consider my direct job a hobby
  6. S

Why? I like the science of audio, like equipment design, measurements of the equipment etc. But the example of "extraordinary" claims sure seems to have an escalating/loose definition in this hobby. Some seems to apply that to anything that varies from "everything I tried sounded the exact...
  7. S

I mean isn't a Hobby supposed to be fun and enjoyable? The criteria you seem to put out would make it a Job/Career
  8. S

I don't think general subjective opinions given in an informal setting require the the 3rd degree treatment nor testing times some people seem to demand. I enjoy the tweaking, listening, relaxing part of this hobby not the ABX/Time trials/Statistical significance result breakdown. I'm down...
  9. S

I'm not exactly talking about this particular forum but what I think is wrong with the Hobby and thing I've experienced in pretty much every internet venue talking about audio. Just responding to the subject of this thread. Simply say hey I bought this Cable/DAC/Transport and thought it sounded...
  10. S

Wells that's what I think is wrong with this hobby, to much harassment of opinions and not enough leeway for enjoyment and to many time others try to tell you what you hear and what biases you have based on some unrelated null tests that you did not participate in and have nothing to do with the...
  11. S

People claim snake oil for everything, everything sounds the same, you can't possibly hear difference in anything, to the point where people get harrased for even giving subjective opinions about what they thought of a device/cable/high res album. The Snake oil/ABX/Everything sounds the same...
  12. S

I think people in this hobby would be better off if they just purchased what they thought was a value to them and stopped being on a crusade to mock and tear down high end audio and people who enjoy the hobby. I find on many audio forums their are so many people crying "snake oil" and insisting...
  13. S

High Resolution Audio?

I despised early mp3 when it was using a mechanism called "joint stereo", not only compressed like modern MP3 but this feature neutered the stereo imaging. I don't think I like the overall legacy that MP3 left on music, an entire generation that heard cymbals and high end freq and thought it...
  14. S

High Frequency Hearing Thresholds

Yea things like this can certainly be preference based, I think their is definitely something to the idea that we perceive audio in some way shape or form and freqs we can't actually audibly hear. For me I do not enjoy that missing info in lower res audio. So when people discuss High res and...
  15. S

Loudness compression, loudness wars.. What exactly it is and why is it happening?

And now no one stands out cause everyone is so loud. Just wish someone would have made a stand early on to prevent this.
  16. S

Digital remasters - do they sound better or ..?

It's a paradox, a lot of new remasters use a source closer to or near master quality so that is good. Then they apply modern compression and loudness mixing techniques to them and pretty much ruin them. A newly mastered very low gen remaster that has good dynamic range would probably sound...
  17. S

High Frequency Hearing Thresholds

I think it's obvious we can perceive freq above our hearing range, and mostly by perceive I mean feel and or have fatigue issues when a soud "WAVE" is cut off at the High Freq level artificially. Even if I technically can't hear above a certain Freq I want my audio to be held in as big of a...
  18. S

Loudness compression, loudness wars.. What exactly it is and why is it happening?

My question is why have well educated Sound engineers allowed this to happen? Clipping and horribly reduced DR is a literal ERROR in music reproduction. Maybe if more sound engineers stood their ground when crazy people asked them to make a record so loud it audibly clipped we would be in this...
  19. S

Plex vs Roon

I've been using plex for vidoe for years but the last time I tried ot use it for audio it was not able to really do lossless. Has this changed? Right now I use UPNP Asset as my home DLNA server and it works great but using plex to server music outside my network would be valuable. Can plex...
  20. S

Does DSD sound better than PCM?

To me DSD has different qualities than PCM, DSD sounds warmer, has deeper bass, better time decay, cymbals in particular have a more solid sound than the thinner sound of PCM. One thing I think PCM has that is better is top end Freq, highs tend to be more bright and detailed than DSD. Overall...
Top Bottom