Search results

1. M

Octave Music Don Grusin High Resolution Music Analysis (Video)

I do, better digital oversampling filters that you need for PCM sources (these wouldn't be needed if all content would be DSD). Better delta-sigma modulators. Tools to do such things as process digital room correction, digital headphone correction, multichannel-to-stereo mix-down, headphone...
  2. M

Yet you sell such stuff yourself. :facepalm: I just run the "PCB 1" part in software, and the "PCB 2" part I published as Open Hardware design for free which other people have continued to improve.
  3. M

And yours in "bitter dealers" section, since you are selling very expensive yet cut-the-corners resource constrained hardware/software DSD DACs (Mola-Mola).
  4. M

On ES9038PRO chip, noise hump with PCM sources begins from 400 kHz and peaks at 700 kHz. IOW, it looks just like DSD512. Too bad it doesn't support native DSD to analog conversion, it could perform very nicely if it would, it could easily implement 64-tap analog FIR with it's conversion section.
  5. M

By the way, that looks quite a bit like edited recording made using RME ADI-2 Pro or similar AKM chip based ADC. And then some spurious tone at 50 kHz likely coming from some SMPS PSU. For editing such recording, I would personally put some EQ notches at the spurious tones and then maybe a...
  6. M

So are not things some people are trying to show here. Including showing "analysis" from broken tools like the one from now bankrupt company.
  7. M

PCM is more archaic and there are no native PCM music recording ADCs on the market anymore. And same people who bash DSD also bash the few native PCM DACs that are still on the market. So 10000:1 of the PCM recordings and playback are digital transformations from/to DSD-type data. Applies to...
  8. M

I have no shortage of bad PCM recordings. Fake hires. Over compress loudness wars things. Content driven to heavy digital clipping. Yeah, great noise-free PCM recording from 2L! Let's play a game. Show me one native DSD production with heavy digital clipping. And I show you two PCM...
  9. M

Yeah, me too. I happily apply all the same DSP regardless if the content source is PCM or DSD. :) It doesn't affect my ability to do DSP. Output format is always what ever is best for the particular DAC, it also doesn't depend on what format the source content happens to be.
  10. M

What bandwidth? But anyway, that's where the DSD is clearly winner. What FUD? Debunk what? I was just discussing alternatives of reconstruction filters to correctly reconstruct RedBook. And on same argument, any FUD on DSD noise is also debunked. So we can end the thread here. But OTOH you...
  11. M

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Seems to be very sticky error because I cannot make it go away and it doesn't happen with any other devices I have (quite many)...
  12. M

My DSC1 design. Because it is proper one. Of course there are others, like Holo. EVGA NUAudio at DSD256:
  13. M

Looks like a regular DSD DAC running at DSD128, mostly noise hump from the noise shaper. Maybe a Cirrus Logic chip? In this case, images seem to be swallowed in the noise hump.
  14. M

So I'm quite happy with the DAC running at DSD512: (you can ignore the extra interferences that are thanks to PSU and DAC boards without chassis on table with wiring hassle) This has 4th order analog filter with fc=100 kHz. But of course the D/A conversion section itself is 32 element, so...
  15. M

For what order and kind of filter? That looks like high order minimum-phase filter. If we go back to the original and look at step response of fifth order Butterworth filter: You can see that would be swallowed by your Gibbs ringing already. You can see the Marantz above as similar, although...
  16. M

Pink noise is not good. White noise works better, but it takes forever on peak hold to fill up all bins to 0 dBr.
  17. M

How would you say since it is swallowed by the Gibbs ringing? So you didn't measure it's phase response? How much phase shift does it have (in degrees) at 20 kHz? Point of the DSD square was to show that it looks pretty much like non-bandlimited square. Which will also expose any analog...
  18. M

Quite a bit of Gibbs ringing, but that is to be expected with low rate PCM. Did you check phase vs frequency response? Best way to check is to make 0 - 22.05 kHz (or 0 - 24 kHz in case you use 48 kHz sampling rate) 10 second long linear sweep with analyzer in peak hold mode, like the ones...
  19. M

We've been improving the amplifier. It is certainly not easy implementation, but it works great. For sure you need fancy PSU, just like for any DAC reference voltage. Biggest challenges are the board design and the other high power switching design. Yes, in my opinion it can compete. But it is...
  20. M

DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 or DSD512? DSD64 is roughly equivalent of 48/32 PCM, but without the brickwall digital filter artifacts.
Top Bottom