Search results

1. A

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

With active speakers it would also be important to see if there were relevant differences in the amplifier section. The D & D are state of the art and relatively expensive Class D modules. Is the same true of the KEF? It may be, I just don't know.
  2. A

Dutch&Dutch8C now Roon ready!

They are now Roon Ready.
  3. A

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

I've noticed this with my D & Ds. There's a tipping point in the volume where they sound much better, and normally when things sound particularly good to me I realize it's mostly the volume.
  4. A

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

True, but they made the TACT Millenium and as far as I can tell it hasn't been supplanted.
  5. A

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

I really enjoyed my Devialet 200. I eventually gave it to my brother who uses it to power a pair of extremely difficult to drive Gauder speakers, and it does the job handily. But, in the end I think the TACT Millenium III which it replaced sounded better in most every way. The TACT was and is a...
  6. A

Kii THREE versus KII THREE/BXT

I'm sure this has been discussed a lot on this forum, but audiophiles aren't really prepared for relatively uncolored sound. When I first switched to my Grimm speakers I thought they sounded "clinical". I was used to German Physiks (tons of room reflection artefacts -- cool speakers though)...
  7. A

Grimm Audio LS1BE at Purité Audio

The LS1BE is usually used as a three way with a subwoofer in the base -- what you see in the photo above. It is flat -- as far as I know -- to 20 HZ. It is expensive though. Some people prefer the D & D. I prefer the Grimm. It's good to listen for a while until you draw conclusions.
  8. A

(Audiophile) americana and country music? Who likes it? Recommendations?

Who needs audiophile when you can listen to this?
  9. A

Best A/D Converter for Turntable to Digital Set-Up

Thanks for the suggestions. It's going into a Grimm LS1 and AES/EBU is just the simplest way. But I can also do optical or SPDIF if necessary. I hadn't thought of the Babyface -- very interesting!
  10. A

I have a phono stage so I'm looking for a line level solution with balanced inputs and AES/EBU out.
  11. A

Any suggestions for A/D converters for adding an LP12 to my all digital set-up? It seems like a lot of folks like the RME but it seems like it could be overkill for my needs in terms of its functions. The Motu looks great but I want an AES/EBU out and it seems to be geared more to musicians and...
  12. A

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

I agree. I like headphones fine on music made for headphones, IDM for example, but I can only enjoy symphonic music on speakers and only if there is a lot of dynamic ability with little distortion.
  13. A

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

Do you think the sound felt "too loud" because of loudness or distortion? It feels to me that lack of distortion in peaks is the sine qua non of listening to orchestral music, even some solo piano, and big band music. That's why I hate it when equipment reviewers listen to such dynamically...
  14. A

On the lookout for mixing headphones

I have the Slate headphones and they are remarkable. First headphones that actually make me want to put on headphones!
  15. A

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

The Grimms are more from the world of professional audio -- for example Cécile McLorin Salvant's Dreams and Daggers was mixed on them and the Concertgebouw uses them for their recordings (or has). They are room friendly due to the crossing pattern described by Purité Audio, but they assume a...
  16. A

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

I agree, in particular since SEAS is producing the tweeter and assuming any danger. Grimm is just buying a modified version: http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=495:e0058-06-t29b001&catid=50:excel-tweeters&Itemid=360 I was and am suspicious of exotic materials. It...
  17. A

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Agreed. Silver wire sounds silvery -- ack! This is what they say "We added a new Beryllium tweeter, which was co-developed with Seas. It extends the frequency range and has 9 dB less distortion than our original tweeter."
  18. A

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

I think it's a SEAS tweeter. When I changed tweeters -- I upgraded -- it definitely made a difference. Less artifacts and more natural.
  19. A

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Same set up. Some corner damping. Very open room but not very big. Sounds far more subtle and articulate up and down as well. But to be clear I'm listening to the D & D's right now and they sound great.
  20. A

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

That's interesting and I would suggest anyone in the UK go to your shop to make the comparison with the music of their choice! To be clear I'm not talking about the quantity or depth of the bass. I'm talking about the stop-and-star-on-a-dime-from-zero-to-100 properties of the bass, in particular...
Top Bottom