Search results

1. J

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

YouTube lawyer Steve Lehto has advice for the RV lady; "DON'T BUY AN RV", because of the shady practices in that industry, see link below. It would be a shame if a lawyer's advice to the HiFi industry was; "DON'T BUY SPEAKERS". Don't Buy an RV
  2. J

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

I think this is complementary to the "Right to Repair" advocacy. Manufacturers want to control repairs to their products, just as they want to control reviews of their products. Replace a broken screen in your phone and it now becomes counterfeit, and illegal, according to Apple. There are...
  3. J

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

The Institute for Justice could offer free legal advice, even if they don't take the case. They do great work, supporting people who cannot afford a lawyer.
  4. J

JBL Conceal C62 Invisible Speaker Review

It's probably fine for background music in a restaurant. I know some used Bose speakers and were happy.
  5. J

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Adapter Review

I worked for a company that made a line-level isolated audio distribution box for studios, which used transformers. The transformers were fairly large and heavy toroids, and there was an additional feedback winding. The feedback winding was used to include the transformer within the linearising...
  6. J

JPS LABS ULTRACONDUCTOR 2 XLR Cable Review

JPS is the brand behind Abyss headphones.
  7. J

Moondrop Blessing 2 Review (IEM)

Balanced-armature transducers were used in the first telephone handsets, but moving-coil transducers have better performance. To hear YouTube reviewers talk about balanced-armatures in IEMs, you would think they were a great new innovation.
  8. J

Audio Blind Testing - You Are Doing It Wrong! (Video)

Audiophiles are obsessed with differences, especially regarding which is the best. I have two different systems in two different rooms, and I am struck by how similar they sound
  9. J

Stax SRM-Xh Review (Electrostatic Headphone Amp)

What is the mystery surrounding electrostatic energisers? High voltage power supplies and high voltage amplifiers aren't that mysterious in themselves. Has anyone built their own?
  10. J

Teac S-300HR Review (Speaker)

It's 13cm, from the manual, which is still available from the TEAC website.
  11. J

SVS SoundPath Review (Wireless Transmitter)

If your network is used for streaming audio, is another's phone's wifi reception similarly compromised? Does it make a difference that the system is separate from your network?
  12. J

SVS SoundPath Review (Wireless Transmitter)

Disappointing; there's little advantage over Bluetooth. Best to have computers and decent DACs in circuit with the the wireless link.
  13. J

Audio Blind Tests and Listener Training (video)

We have a music collection precisely because our memory for sound is so poor. Otherwise, we would only need to hear a track once, and that would be it.
  14. J

Amazon Basics 80 Watt Amplifier Teardown

A case with +/- 32v PSU and neat wiring could be used to house a better amplifier section, and still be cheap. But even so, distortion is still less than 0.1%, which was used as the standard for acceptable distortion for decades.
  15. J

RF Interference in Speaker Cables??? (video)

We know that Class AB amplifiers can demodulate AM RF signals applied to the speaker terminals, but I suspect that Class D amplifiers would not suffer in the same way - they have an output filter with a capacitor directly across the speaker wires.
  16. J

RF Interference in Speaker Cables??? (video)

Years ago, I had an apartment next to a "breaker" with a citizen's band radio set. His conversations could be clearly heard over my stereo. I tried all ways to get rid of this interference, and found that wrapping the speaker cables several times round a ferrite rod placed close to the amplifier...
  17. J

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

With DACs, DSP and computer, a ground loop produced a low-level whistle of a few kilohertz in my system. It was cured by separating the mains earth from the DC output of a power supply. Protective earth remains intact, but no longer forms a loop. I use optical interconnects to the DACs, but the...
Top Bottom