Search results

1. technoian

Monoprice THX AAA 887 on sale on uk monoprice site.

Currently on sale in UK at Monoprice for £202.94. At that price I can't see why you would buy anything else. ;)
  2. technoian

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

See the previous response from Ben1987 (the designer) for details on firmware updates to enable either fixed or variable volume. (entry #658)
  3. technoian

Does the unit generate a lot of heat? I plan to put the DAC inside a cabinet. Thanks. I keep my LA-QXD1 in a cabinet and permanently powered on. It barely gets at all warm. One of the benefits out of being machined out of a solid brick of aluminium.
  4. technoian

Your DAC may not have been kaput! o_O I too was using an Apple phone charger (genuine) to power the LA-QXD1 and have had issues with the DAC not powering up when re-connecting the charger. The DAC would appear dead with no signs of life at all but after lots of unplugging and re-connecting...
  5. technoian

[but i don't see why on my power bank 5V/2,1A doesn't work. Looking at the specs for your power bank I see that it negotiates with the device in order to limit the current supplied. I doubt that the DAC is able to negotiate in this fashion which is why it fails to work. The DAC may uses a USC-C...
  6. technoian

Lavaudio DS600 Review (Stereo DAC)

Why would any manufacturer choose to compete with the Topping D50S? Even if you could match the performance (which they make a good job of here) you are still going to have to undercut the D50s on price or include extra features (such as the headphone output). When those features turn out to be...
  7. technoian

Amptastic mini 1

There is this one on UK Gumtree at the moment if you are still looking. Amptastic Mini 1. Custom Cables DC1 Linear PSU Coventry, West Midlands £160.00 https://www.gumtree.com/p/amplifiers/amptastic-mini-1.-custom-cables-dc1-linear-psu/1393265753
  8. technoian

Neurochrome HP-22 - The $90 high-performance DIY headphone amp

Great concept Tom. Looks to be a fun project that most people could complete with only simple tools. I would love to see you produce a balanced input version using the same TI eval board.
  9. technoian

A Theory on Headphones Amplifiers Power Supplies

If Currawong were serious about his theory that the power supply section of smaller headphones amplifiers can't quite keep up, thus affecting the final output then he should have been able to test it then and there. All he needed to do was compare the sound through the amp using his most...
  10. technoian

For those that are interested in using the coax output of this DAC l have run some tests and think I now have a full explanation of how this works. If the coax output is unconnected then the 3 inputs (toslink, coax and USB) can all be selected and will output on both the XLR and RCA analogue...
  11. technoian

A Theory on Headphones Amplifiers Power Supplies

In the video you can actually see the markings on the power supply. It states; SMSL Ultra-Low-Noise Power Supply +/- 18V 667mA. I make that out to be a maximum of 24 Watts. The specs for this amp state "6 Watts into 16 Ohm,3 Watts into 32 Ohm Headphones " so the powers supply appears to be more...
  12. technoian

Prospect of Pure Perfect Sound Heralds the Death of the Established Audio Industry

You are right in stating the standard of new music releases is a limiting factor. It's such a frustration when the Redbook CD standard is capable of great music reproduction only to have that strangled by the policies of the music industry. I would hope that with the widespread availability of...
  13. technoian

Is switching headphone amp unit worth it only to get balanced output?

@solderdude has done a good job, as usual, in explaining the differences between single-ended and balanced outputs from headphone amplifiers. As far as your point 2 supposed benefit goes;" 2 - noise reduction (by cancelling most noise picked up within the wire)" . This is only a benefit for...
  14. technoian

Prospect of Pure Perfect Sound Heralds the Death of the Established Audio Industry

If we were to hear truly accurate sound reproduction then would we even recognise it as such? I entered a small shop in town once with my partner and there was piano music playing. I looked around the room before turning to my partner and saying "Where is the piano playing this music?". She...
  15. technoian

Is switching headphone amp unit worth it only to get balanced output?

I don't see that there are technical advantages in opting for balanced outputs in a desktop headphone amplifier. The guys at Bechmark explain this way better than I could in the following link; https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better...
  16. technoian

To condense my argument to its core; if we are able to achieve audible transparency even at budget prices then where do we go from there? Would this be the end game!
  17. technoian

You are right in saying that the time taken (latency) is the is the main problem with introducing the speakers and room into the digital feedback loop. There is the possibility that a series of calibration signals could be used to compensate for speakers and room during setup phase and then the...
  18. technoian

The marketing slogan "Pure, Perfect Sound - Forever" was used by Philips in conjunction with the launch of the digital compact disk in the early 1980's. The claim was greeted with scorn but it is only now, some 40 years later, that the other elements of the audio chain are about to get a digital...
  19. technoian

Class d keeps improving

A very interesting development in the amplifier world. A combined DAC and amp that uses an ADC to feedback from the output of the power amp into a DSP module prior to the DAC. The team who have invented this technology appear to have come from Philips class D division so would likely to have...
Top Bottom