Search results

1. S

Let's stop calling Class D amplifiers "efficient" when they are not.

Restorer-John or others familiar with Hypex board layout and failure points, Would a dual mono Hypex NC250mp installed in a more traditional sized case reduce heat density enough to improve longevity? Reasoning being total power draw is spread across 2 boards. And maybe just as importantly...
  2. S

NAD C298 Stereo Amplifier Review

The case is fine in the $1500 less expensive C268. For $2400, many might expect better. But it is in keeping with the NAD entry level line cases. Yes, for about half the price, several sellers frequently mentioned here get you Purifi. I think this may mostly appeal to those with NAD classic...
  3. S

1st lab-grown meat product cleared for human consumption in the U.S.

Unfortunately, just because the FDA signs off on something does not mean it is healthy long term. Were they not the ones who paved the way for margerine and all those trans fats that have been identified as horrible for us? It still boggles my mind what is allowed to be put into food. Time will...
  4. S

Hypex amps and DC protection

Thanks for your replies Extreme_Boky and boXem. I was curious to see how one of the established brands handles DC speaker protection. I emailed NAD. Their response: "On the C268 and C298, there is no additional DC protection on the circuits. The detection circuit is built-in in the amplifier...
  5. S

Hypex amps and DC protection

I have been following a few threads with discussion about Hypex NC amps and DC protection. It seems the very popular NCxyzMP amps leave something to be desired in protecting speakers from DC damage, not triggering protection until at least 12v or more. This seems to be supported by a warning on...
  6. S

PMA-NC252MP power amplifier

Well, where does this leave us? Is this a corner case and less than ideal from an engineering standpoint or does this have the potential to be an issue for average 4 ohm speakers?
  7. S

When batteries go bad

Due to another hobby, I have spent way too many hours reading about and testing AA and AAA batteries. My conclusions: If you do not want a device ruined by leakage, don't install alkaline batteries of any brand. Exceptions are cases where usage is high enough that you are changing at a high...
  8. S

How to Get People Flying on the 737 Max

The decline of Boeing began long ago with the McDonnell Douglass merger. Decion makiking was quickly moved from Seattle to the new offices in the midwest. In practical terms, this was the beginning of the transition of Boeing the 'airplane' company becoming a corporation run by bean counters...
  9. S

Out for a few more days

Hoping between the dry weather and new crew you can quickly implement an effective solution.
  10. S

Home Theater Bypass - Subwoofer setup

While most of the above mentioned approaches can work fairly well with some effort, they are not the simplest and most straight forward solution. What you really need is a preamplifier with HT Bypass which also includes a bypass for the sub; a 2.1 HT Bypass preamplifier. I like some of Rotel's...
  11. S

NHT Super Zero 2.1 Review (bookshelf speaker)

As a frequent visitor who appreciates Amir's work I have to say that I don't know if I am more disappointed in the speaker or Amir's review. How on earth can anyone who has even a modest amount of experience in this hobby even consider doing a listening evaluation of this speaker without a sub...
  12. S

The US Electoral College

One of the main reasons was to prevent a small number of states with large populations from dominating the other states. As for the populace becoming better educated and more informed that is up for debate and does not mean wiser. We are at a point today where information and news is filtered...
  13. S

Yamaha RX-V6A 7.2 channel 4K / 8K Dolby AV Receiver Review

Can you say ugly? Looks like the toaster oven and the dishwasher had a baby.
  14. S

Show us your vintage cassettes!

I wonder of the youngsters even know what a deck is?
  15. S

Show us your vintage cassettes!

Brings back memories...fun thread. Now, show me the hardware. Preferably a deck you still own.
  16. S

Forest Fires, Air Quality, Weather Patterns, ...The World ...

.... This exactly! All we can do is be good stewards of the environment as much as practical. And that includes new greener technologies scaled up as feasible not by unobtainable or unrealistic arbitrary timelines. Even our best efforts to mitigate our impact on the environment while necessary...
  17. S

Will filling my speaker stands really improve sound?

Don't know the exact design of that stand, but if you are worrying about leakage with the sand, you can fill plastic or cloth bags and put one or several in the stand. Don't necessarily have to fill every square centimeter of the stand
  18. S

I see. Emphasis I understand. Too much THD not so much.
  19. S

Hmm....I have seen the moon although orange and I have flown through this. Where did you read this?
  20. S

Douchebags and Schiit: How do they get away with it?

The less I hear the ladies on “The View” talk about SCHIIT, the better.
Top Bottom