Search results

1. E

Need help expanding my 2.1 system into 2.2

I've done a bit of research on this and the standards used are flexible. I understand that often LFE is often thrown away, but if you read for example the Netflix specification, it is suggested that the LFE channel may be added at -8 to -12 dB...
  2. E

Why people still use tube amps when there are plenty of tubes already used in the making of music

I'm far from an expert but I could imagine that when recording organs you could use ORTF in a cathedral and get a sound like it sounds in the audience.
  3. E

Why people still use tube amps when there are plenty of tubes already used in the making of music

Not entirely true, because studio engineering is about selecting microphones and microphone placement. For example close micing electric guitar amps: what is recorded is not what you hear in the room! Similarly: recording pianos is (supposedly) a real PITA and a lot of recorded pianos that...
  4. E

Share your in-room measurements?

9 measurements per speaker might be a bit much and a lot of work. For my last configuration I used 4 measurements per speaker and vector averaged those. In REW make sure to press "cross correlate align" before making a vector average. I developed output channel filters per speaker based on those...
  5. E

Dirac with Harman +4 looks best to me. I notice a couple of things in the first graph: 1. big boost between 20 and 35. 2. Dissimilar high frequency response between left and right 3. Front right has regular bumps between 500-1200, that is probably placement related 4. Try to make averages of...
  6. E

Please, for the love of God - Help me. Revel Performa 3 M106.

I stand corrected, I didn't read it properly and didn't notice they offered a pair of cables. 30 GBP each is much more reasonable. Especially when factoring in the cost for the time needed for getting the tools out and assembling your own banana plugs on the cable ends.
  7. E

Please, for the love of God - Help me. Revel Performa 3 M106.

I thought we were on ASR, 60 gbp for 1 meter of assembled speaker cable? What the hell!
  8. E

Where is the Flaw in most Multichannel Preamps/ AVRs?

And can you apply the trick of importing biquads into the crossover banks to increase the number of PEQs?
  9. E

It only has output channel filters, noth ok Ng for the inputs?
  10. E

To be fair, stereo balanced active 4-way crossover in one device is quite a niche application.
  11. E

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

It's definitely teamwork, I used to be in BD/sales/contract management of medium-large projects. In my experience, the sales persons will have to have at least some affinity and background with the technical part (the more, the better), while the engineers definitely have to have the social and...
  12. E

I investigated this topic the past week and my conclusion is that the Apple 4k route is the only major application for the flex HT when using the HDMI eARC input. Other devices don't convert surround bitstream signals to LPCM. I've even consulted LG about this to confirm. So if you don't want...
  13. E

How a subwoofer affects soundstage?

"You can't improve what you don't measure."
  14. E

How a subwoofer affects soundstage?

I messed around a lot with REW and MSO for my 2.2 setup with dissimilar subs and I concluded I'm not a fan of MSO because I couldn't get it to sound right and create filters that make sense. I've currently developed a set of manual settings that sound great: phase reversal, time alignment and...
  15. E

Value AVR with pre-outs (for Fosi Audio V3 Monos)

I meant to write that it doesn't have amplification
  16. E

It doesn't have amplification. So an amp like that, but then also with surround decoding options so you don't need the apple TV for that.
  17. E

It would be awesome if a company were to develop a device like that, with (e)ARC input, quality DAC, but then also with multiple independent subwoofer outputs and manual DSP with optional Dirac. I bet a lot of enthusiasts would buy that.
  18. E

Nice finding, 2 buts: 1. like I commented before: please fix the scale of your y axis. It's common practice to show a range of 50 dB. Your graph is zoomed out which makes the response look nicer than it really is and makes it more difficult to look at details. 2. Front wall gain happens at...
  19. E

I'm stuck w.r.t options to expand / improve my current 2.2 AV setup

Thanks. That may just work by letting my TV perform the decoding and sending the signal as multichannel LPCM over eARC to the Flex HT(X). The impact on my setup will then be that the flex replaces my nanodigi and I need an extra stereo amp for the surrounds which can be very simple and low power.
Top Bottom