Search results

1. G

Apple Music Streaming quality in Kbps, Losses vs. Hi-Res, AirPlay 1 vs AirPlay 2

Decided to post this if anyone is interested as I was. Found an app called Usage, available on Apple iOS App Store. It can monitor bits sent and received. Here is the data and a few snapshots of the app and the actual raw data in KBytes. Ranges depict minimum and maximum depending on the...
  2. G

Value thread? Please chime in

I have been thinking about this for a very long time, as I bet a few of you might as well. Decided to post. Talking about DACs, this topic has been beaten to death. Amplifiers and speakers are somewhat clear as well, at least to the astute community of this forum. The Home Theater processors /...
  3. G

Old tech (Pioneer beryllium ribbon tweeters), why don’t they make these anymore?

Just wanted to share a few in-room measurements of my theater mains that have Pioneer / TAD Beryllium ribbon tweeters. Horizontal 2.5 meters tweeter level measurements at 0 , 45, and 90 degrees. Ignore woofer and midrange, this is ridiculous performance and dispersion for tweeters. This kind of...
  4. G

Are Klipsch THX home theater speakers really this good?

I’m trying to upgrade my HT speakers and have been doing some research. I came across this review from Audioholics of the Klipsch THX ultra2 speakers. It looks really unbelievable to have a FR like that from Klipsch. I have never seen any reviewed HT speaker to have that flat of a FR. The...
  5. G

Albums not available on digital media anywhere

I’m wondering if any of you guys ran into issues where your favorite album cannot be found anywhere on digital media. Case in point is Ray Charles’ “Brother Ray is at it again,” which is one of my favorite albums of his. Every songlr song is just a masterpiece for me. But hey, you can’t find it...
  6. G

SOLD…Roon Rock Media Streaming System - Absolute Silence

SOLD I am selling my Roon Rock streaming system. This is built around Turemetal DP2 fan-less beautiful case. Amir has built his system with Turemetal larger enclosure. This system includes i3 processor, 64gb NVME memory to run Roon, and 500 gb ssd for memory. Can expand this as my as you...
  7. G

Can Harman preference curve be applied to home Theater applications, center, surrounds, etc?

I have been pondering the above question for some time. I truly enjoy my current KEF speakers that follow the Harman preference curve closely. I also seem to prefer other speakers that are close to the Harman curve. But this is for 2 channel music. My very subjective recent experience has been...
  8. G

Virtual Bass with adding harmonic sound

I just bought a new car, ‘22 Subaru BRZ limited:D It has an option as mentioned above, virtual bass harmonics. Just wanted to share; it was fun going from off setting to low, mid and high. Subjectively, introducing harmonic distortion, advertised as virtual Bass, sounded heavier and boomier...
  9. G

Help with midrange & teeter integration

I have this project going on for years, where I took apart a Klipsch RF-7ii and modified to a point where only it's cabinet and woofers are original. I initially had this in an active set up with an electronic crossover, but recently decided to simplify my 2 channel system and move these to my...
  10. G

Naive question, can anyone explain to me the 40Hz suck-out?

I seem to be getting this 40hz suckout everywhere, except in my 2-channel system where there is open space behind the speakers. So I assume the back wall has to do with some of it, but would appreciate if you can point to the actual source and how to mitigate the problem. It is really annoying...
  11. G

Question regarding original data where loudspeaker preference scores were given by trained listeners

So I have had a chance to read some of discussions and glance over the papers regarding the original research Drs. Toole and Olive have done regarding loudspeaker preference scores and curves. I truly appreciate all the work that really went into this and it is highly commendable. Amir, has also...
  12. G

Passive 3-way crossover recommendations

I am converting my DIY speakers from active to passive. Would appreciate if you guys can point me to the right place or brand to get a passive 3-way crossover. I wish I could build it myself, but I’m not an engineer. It can be anywhere from 300-500hz and 2.5khz-3.5khz range for crossover...
  13. G

Tesla Model S Audio Quick FR Measurements

So I decided to do quick measurements of the audio in my 2020 Tesla Model S. I have never been impressed with car audios. The best I had was in my late Panamera with Burmester sound. It could play very loud without distortion, but still, something was missing and it did seem a bit colored...
  14. G

Why no follow up studies to Dr. Toole’s and Dr. Olive’s work?

I really enjoy objective loudspeaker measurements, but correlating measurements to what is actually perceived as optimal or perfect, if there is such a thing, is of most importance. After listening to Erin and Dr Olive’s talk about the research Dr Olive and Dr Toole did regarding the preference...
  15. G

Spotify Premium showing 44.1Khz 16bit in Volumio with Spotify connect 2. Is this really lossless or trickery?

My brother today was streaming his Spotify to my MiniDSP Volumio. The Volumio app was showing 44khz 16bit. Is this try CD quality stream or some conversion? Wondering if Spotify might have released their promised lossless.
  16. G

Does Yamaha RX-A3000 have DAC SINAD > 105dB?

Came across this review of the original Yamaha Aventage RX-A3000 on Audioholics. It seems this initial iteration was likely the one that was engineered really well. At least the measurements are looking really good, especially HDMI in pre out distortions. Can someone dissect these measurements...
  17. G

Possible to rank equipment based on what we actually hear and perceive?

I have learned so much from all of you. And my science heart always loved graphs instead of words, so I appreciate the SINAD. However, I read a few interesting threads in the forum. One arguing that harmonic distortion may not matter as much as SINAD may portray. I also have seen Amir...
  18. G

Apple Music direct USB vs Airplay 1

Today I got a lightning to USB-B cable from Amazon and was able to connect my iPhone directly to my MiniDSP SHD Studio USB input. I am able to stream 24bit 192Khz from Apple Music Hi Res. When connected to Topping D90SE I can see this. I wanted to see, however, if 16 bit 44.1Khz streaming via...
  19. G

Can we possibly measure the quality of DACs in active DSP speakers

Reading all these reviews about transparent DACs and following up with speaker reviews, it just interesting for my naive brain to know what the SINAD of say D&D or Genelec internal DACs are. Can this be done? Some, may I say not myself, argue that your electronics don’t matter since THD is...
  20. G

Frustrated and venting, ideas will be helpful

Long story short, went from an active speaker setup to passive. Have bought and sold 3 sets of “good” speakers and auditioned many. I have come to the conclusion that everything sucks compared to my active speakers that I had. Those may have not been perfectly time adjusted, but they sounded...
Top Bottom