Search results

1. daftcombo

Kerri Chandler did a whole Reel-to-reel DJ set

The house DJ Kerri Chandler just did a 2 hours DJ set for Boiler Room, using only Reel-to-reel tapes. It's litterally the first time I see that technology used in a DJ set. I saw him DJing in Paris a few years ago, but he played on CDJs.
  2. daftcombo

Will ASR be measuring pianos?

Because this one sounds good, but the guy talks about it a bit too much in an "audiophile" manner to my taste:
  3. daftcombo

Iconic Boomboxes

Hi, Discogs put out an article about famous Boomboxes: https://blog.discogs.com/en/most-iconic-boomboxes/?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=discogs&utm_campaign=Culture_2021_10_13 I wonder if it would be possible to measure some of them, especially FR and distortion.
  4. daftcombo

Asio4all v2.15 (beta)

There are beta versions of Asio4all 2.15 out: https://www.asio4all.org/ v2.14 was released in 2017 so it is quite some time. As I use it everyday with my Scarlett 2i4, I'm interested in a new version, though the old robust one is perfect for my use already.
  5. daftcombo

Directional speakers

Has someone here ever experienced those speakers that "throw sound in focused beam like a spotlight"? For instance:
  6. daftcombo

Audio Science Review VS Sound & Recording : who has the more accurate on-axis measurements?

Hi, I've noticed several times that ASR and S&R measurements differ. Here is just one example, but you could find many others. Adam T8V: ASR: Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/adam-t8v-studio-monitor-review.17118/ Almost flat from 50 Hz to 1 kHz, even a bit...
  7. daftcombo

Small speakers for near-field listening (source: PC) under 250 €.

Hi, A friend of mine asked me to advise him a pair of speakers around 200 € (I think he could stretch to 250 €) for general purposes, including listening to classical music on Youtube. He doesn't have a lot of room on his desk so I think about the iLoud Micro Monitors. Any other ideas? Cheers.
  8. daftcombo

Post your room modes correction PEQ settings

Hi, Which settings do you use to deal with room modes? Where is it effective: listening position only or wider area? Do you use different settings for each channel? Are the corrections different depending on the type of music and loudness?
  9. daftcombo

Channel imbalance & vinyl thickness

Some records seem to be hotter in one channel than in the other. It can be on the whole record, on only one side, during the whole LP or only the beginning of both sides or only one. It seems to me that it could be a question of thick records (like 180g LPs) and thinner ones and the way the...
  10. daftcombo

How flat is flat?

Hello, Let's take two speakers A and B identical in all aspects but flatness of their frequency response. Let's say, for instance, that A is flat +/-0.5 dB and B flat +/- 1 dB. Is the difference audible? Of course, it's not possible to find two speakers identical in all aspects but FR. But it...
  11. daftcombo

Question about "stereo jack"

Hi, I need to replace one of the cables (will replace the two, actually) between my phono pre-amp (2 x XLR out) and my Scarlett Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen (2 x TLR in). I want to go for cheap but good cables and found these: https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfm_15_fv_klinke_xlr_kabel.htm What...
  12. daftcombo

Acoustic phase measurements of loudspeakers

Hi, @amirm does an incredible job of measuring speakers, including electric phase & impedance. I am a bit surprised though not to see any acoustic phase measurements (the kind of measurement one can do with REW on-axis). Is it because it is of no interest? Couldn't it give a clue about the...
  13. daftcombo

Differences between loudspeaker listening & headphones listening

Ok, this might sound stupid, but I just noticed this: when you listen to loudspeakers and nod your head to the music (which I do most of the time, provided there's a beat going), the position of the head changes and might (?) create tone or phase very small changes, that could be good in a way...
  14. daftcombo

Add a subwoofer to Focal Aria 906 bookshelf speakers ?

Hi, I am considering adding a subwoofer to my Aria 906, as I listen to electronic music mostly. My living room is 16m² only and I won't blast the sound. I just want to hear all the frequencies (down to 30 Hz) of my records. Here is the frequency response of the Ariua 906's as measured by...
  15. daftcombo

I measured my speakers with... themselves

Hi, I wanted to measure one of my Focal Aria 906 yesterday with a Behringer ECM8000 calibrated microphone and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen as DAC/ADC, using REW. The mic was positionned 2 meters away from the speakers, on the tweeter axis. I obtained a super nice curve, looking a lot like...
  16. daftcombo

Weird ASIO behaviour?

Hi, I have the lastest drivers for my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen. In Foobar2000, I have the ASIO component installed and chose "Focusrite [ASIO]" as the output. In the past, when I chose ASIO (with other DACs, with which I had to use ASIO4All if I remember correctly), when a song was...
  17. daftcombo

Electrical phase: any good correcting it?

Hi, Soundstagenetwork.com provides electrical phase measurement of speakers. Here's an example (Focal Aria 906) source: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1239:nrc-measurements-focal-aria-906-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=153 You can get that kind...
  18. daftcombo

Expensive loudspeakers that sound bad

I'd be interested to know your experiences with loudspeakers which sound just bad, in any room and in whatever configuration. Those going for several k€ and that you had to sell back just after, or those you heard at an audiophile's place thinking "all those $$$ for that?".
  19. daftcombo

Subwoofer in a very small room: does it make sense?

So, I have a 3rd system in a very small room (3 m * 2,5 m, that is to say 10ft * 8ft approximatively) for late night chill-out. It is composed of a Sony DVD player, a JDS Lab Atom used as headphones amp and pre-amp for a pair of JBL 305p mkII. In this room I mostly listen to piano, but also...
  20. daftcombo

Cheapest "transparent" DAC with balanced output and volume control

Hi, I'm after a DAC with balanced output and volume control to use as a pre-amp and to put in the chain before a NCORE speaker power amp like this one...
Top Bottom