Search results

1. M

DAC cutting out after 3-4 minutes

Yes, though I’d already set the energy settings to as ‘awake’ as possible with no effect. I just remembered I have a £10 apple usb dongle, it has worked fine for 45 minutes plus so far, although it has a lower voltage output than the odac. I’ll stick with that for a bit.
  2. M

Well, my powered usb arrived this morning, and... it doesn’t solve the problem. So it must be some sort of software issue. I can’t use the lsusb utility and system report doesn’t tell me anything useful (it still shows the dac even after I’ve unplugged it, and shows the same information on both...
  3. M

I don’t think that’s the issue in this specific case but I do sometimes have waking issues with usb peripherals so I will check this out, thanks
  4. M

Yes, that works - swapping the odac over to my laptop (direct to an onboard usb port) It’s been playing for 10 minutes now without a problem. That focuses the problem to somewhere either on the mac mini or in the power supply to the dac over usb, but the dac seems to be fine. I will order a...
  5. M

Ah, sorry, got you. No, sources are either itunes or spotify and in both cases I can confirm that they are playing even after the sound cuts out.
  6. M

Thanks both, there will probably be some os x equivalent of that linux program which I will seek out to confirm that the dac as a usb is still working, though it still shows up as working in audio manager. Likewise, I have never seen any indication of the dac ‘sleeping’ before - I have had...
  7. M

Thanks, my monitor doesn’t have a powered usb hub but I do use an unpowered usb hub (problem was the same using that or coming directly from the mac mini). I will investigate powered usb hubs...
  8. M

It’s powered by the usb cable, with no option for a separate power connection
  9. M

Hi all, An odd problem has developed in my system after a few weeks of no use - after 3 or 4 minutes playing the sound cuts out although the source is still playing. System is as follows: mac mini spotify or itunes into ODAC, then into jds atom to either headphones or a minidsp feeding a sub...
  10. M

What headphone(s) do you own ?

In the end I did pay £70 for a 'new' pair (and they seem to be as new) of the NAD Hp50. And I agree with you. Compared to my Goldring DR150s they are rather uncomfortable and (inevitably due to closed-backedness) don't have the same air and space that the open-backed Goldrings do. The NADs are...
  11. M

Catalogue of blind tests

I think that's absolutely true, and could even apply to me if money was no object - the only thing I feel I miss out on through having exclusively streamed/ripped sources is the performance of putting on a record (or even a CD), having that big bit of cover art and reading the sleeve notes. But...
  12. M

Catalogue of blind tests

Absolutely- I regularly dip in to the ongoing megathreads of new or old music here, and have found many new favourites.
  13. M

Catalogue of blind tests

I recognise exactly what several of you above have articulated: that knowledge that if one has to really concentrate hard and put one’s frowny face on to distinguish between two amps, DACs, speakers, cables, bit rates or flavours of scented candle, whether blinded or not, then one isn’t going...
  14. M

Cheap DAC/AMP with analogue inputs and low impedance headphone jack?

yes, if there's only one power outlet available then you need one device only. As you've found, this may not exist for less than the price of the RME. re your variable output point, I'm not sure if you're saying this would interfere with using another device from it (I don't think there'd be...
  15. M

Cheap DAC/AMP with analogue inputs and low impedance headphone jack?

That device looks very versatile, and as you've found difficult to replicate. Since your only issue with it is the headphone impedance, can you not just add a JDS atom (which has sub-1 ohm impedance and 2 gain settings) to the analogue out? Assuming you were already using the analogue out, the...
  16. M

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Up until now all my headphones have been decidedly bargain basement. Chronologically, these have been: Koss KSC75 which sound good but are too uncomfortable to actually use; Sennheiser px100ii with the yellow hd414 pads to temper the overwhelmingly muddy bass with the original pads, Goldring...
  17. M

sanity check: this isn't right, no? (faulty speaker content)

Thanks Solderdude and Ray, Having played with swapping speakers (no change) and changing toe-in (I initially had the speakers pointing straight at me, now I have them facing straight down the room and I will keep playing with positioning to see if there's a particular best amount of toe-in), I...
  18. M

Thanks Ray, my room is a study (9ft x 8ft-ish), with the speakers 4ft apart either side of a desk but for listening I'm in a chair 5ft from each speaker. I've saved a series of plots as I have moved my chair (and mic) to the right (from as far left as the chair can go without blocking the door)...
  19. M

Thanks Ray, the impulse signal showed it took about 200ms to return to baseline, but here is the first 10ms (from listening position, L+R output). measurements taken in front of either speaker look similar but with lower baseline. (edited to show %, though none of the signals get close to 100%)
Top Bottom