Search results

1. P

DAC filter passband ripple

In another forum, I became aware of how DAC filter passband ripple causes echo of the signal in the time domain. This is not Gibbs effect, but a real reproduction of the signal at very low levels, and typically within a millisecond before and after the proper signal (in the case of a sharp...
  2. P

Radio program: Havana Syndrome, Electrical Network Frequency analysis, pigeon disappearance

I heard this three part podcast episode all related to sound on the radio this weekend. I thought the segment on Electrical Network Frequency (ENF) analysis as a forensic tool to determine time and place of audio recordings was interesting. Conceptually it is a pretty simple idea, but somehow I...
  3. P

Off the beaten track stops for music fans

Please post recommended places to stop if you happen to be in the area (not so much travel destinations like Graceland). I'll start with Maine Country Music hall of Fame, which is not far off a route I frequently drive, and yet I only visited a few tears ago. What a cool place. I was lucky...
  4. P

safety and power amplifiers with external supplies

We are seeing amplifiers now with fairly powerful external power supplies. I assume some of these exceed LPS rating. So in that case should the amplifier itself conform with either Class i or Class ii precautions as if it had an internal supply? Are the makers of these amps doing this? I see the...
  5. P

Killing the Blues: fun with blue LED phosphors

For those who are tired of those bright blue LEDs, I am seeing some interesting remote phosphors available now. These work with blue LEDs and give a warm white light. And they are surprisingly low cost: https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/chromalit-linear-and-panel-series/13955...
  6. P

How to... abandon a post after you've started typing and not have it come back to bite you?

Maybe I am just a dummy but if I start typing a post and decide I don't want to go through with it, I just delete the text. But then whatever I had typed will re-appear next time I start another post, even if I logged out. This just happened and I didn't catch it before I posted, and made a...
  7. P

WXA-50 deal, surely this is too good to be true ($62)

https://www.ubcula.com/wxa50-musiccast-wireless-streaming-amplifier?search=wxa This has to be a scam, right? However, I tried it anyway using paypal to pay. I thought they would take the money and I'd have to try to get it back from paypal. But I got confirmation emails, and tracking info...
  8. P

challenge: record your amplifier voltage and do DeltaWave comparison

I bought a lowly Behringer UCA202 to see if I could do some voltage recording of amplifiers driving speakers at high levels. This is not a very good ADC and limited to 48KHz but I thought I'd give it a try, then upgrade if I gmake any headway. I am using the track Tricycle by Flim and the BB's...
  9. P

Summer of Soul

I said I wouldn't do this and instead posted in the documentaries thread, but I thought this was so great I couldn't help myself. Now I want to play it again. You can get it on Hulu.
  10. P

Qobuz genres are FUBAR

Bettye Swann is a hip hop artist? Just one example. I noticed a lot of my favorites have head scratching classification. I thought the French were tuned into African American music [ducking my head]. Really though, I have a small part of me wanting to switch to Tidal because they get this...
  11. P

How loud is your air conditioning?

The wather forecast is for warm weather this weekend so I put in AC this morning. I have an old house and we just have window units. Last year I replaced some old ones with Midea U shape that allow the window to go down between the control side and the compressor. It works really well to...
  12. P

Silencing baseboard radiator covers

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum... I need to go at this in all my rooms really, but in one room in particular these covers really sing along with my speakers at some resonant frequencies. I was going to start with wrapping the ends of the long front covers and wherever they are supported...
  13. P

Sonos supporting 24 bit, but still no >48KHz

https://darko.audio/2021/03/hi-res-streaming-comes-to-sonos-via-qobuz-sort-of/ Anyone know if there are technical hurdles that would prevent them from streaming higher sample rate files with existing hardware, eventually?
  14. P

Sonos Five

A little while ago I bought a Sonos Five for my wife. She likes it fine, but I don't think it sounds so great. Something in the midrange just sounds really off to me. Anyway, it should just stop there since she is happy but unfortunately I can't leave it at that. What I am wondering is if...
  15. P

Amplifier auto sense modification (subwoofer)

I have a subwoofer with no defeat on the autosense function, forcing me to use autosense. It isn't sensitive enough so I have to turn up the input to get it to come on and then it often turns itself off while I am listening. I don't have a schematic for this, but looking at other ones it seems...
  16. P

Any Usher Audio fans? (esp. V series)

I picked up a pair of V-601 a few years ago for just $400 for the pair and I listen to these in the room I use most. I just love them, running full range with a sub. I can't find any measurements but reviews seem universally positive. E.g...
  17. P

NRC bass measurements, front port vs rear port

I noticed that some of the Soundstage measurements, at the low end, seem to agree pretty well with manufacturer spec for front ported speakers, but not rear ported. Is it safe to generalize and say low end NRC measurements of front ported are good, but not measurements of rear ported? E.g...
  18. P

I have a feeling I will be listening to a lot more vinyl

My 20 year old daughter has caught the bug. Like a lot of kids her age I guess. She ordered a few albums even though she does not own a turntable, or even a proper sound system for that matter. But she is home doing remote studies so I guess she figured she'd just use mine. In this case...
  19. P

How to open UMIK to change gain

I can't seem to get this to budge. But I am trying to open it with tweezers. It is counter-clockwise to open it, right? Am I going to have to buy a spanner wrench to get it open?
  20. P

General design stupidity

This thread is for venting on bad product design, especially when this replaces something perfectly good. My credit card prompted me to start this so lets start there: Why in the world are credit cards going from cards with nice large raised numbers to designs with a blank front side and small...
Top Bottom