Search results

1. Napalm Tom

Would an external DAC add sound quality to my system?

Good point. The speaker auditioning has been fun so far. Thanks for your opinion. I'm leaning towards the Dali Spektor over the SVS Sat. All good analogies you mention. I even forgot I too have tried personal adaption myself. There's an African Cichlid fish when it's put in a small aquarium...
  2. Napalm Tom

Thanks for additional info, laserjock. I had to read this whole thread again because there's a lot to take in. I've been auditioning several speakers the last couple days. I've read online by audio enthusiasts regarding "trained ears." According to them, audio enthusiasts' ears evolve to be...
  3. Napalm Tom

Besides loads of input from yesterday, more to absorb today. Thanks everyone for all the great input. The common thread among this collective input is I need to forget about DACs for now and readdress the basics. I have boxed up the amp and speakers and returning them tomorrow. I want to return...
  4. Napalm Tom

Not that I'm aware of. I don't know why Emotiva calls it an integrated amp. It's really a 2.1 channel stereo receiver. Interesting. So one member here is saying my Emotiva model is "not much of an amp." And another member saying my existing Emotiva amp will likely do a decent enough job. I will...
  5. Napalm Tom

Will do. Also another factor to consider.....is this a long term renewed interest or a passing fad for me. I say that because I'm a former musician, I quit playing the drum years ago. During retirement, renewing interest of my younger years, I also considered investing in a new set of drums...
  6. Napalm Tom

No need to tread lightly around me, I appreciate your straight forward input. A 1500 dollar amp seems like overkill in my small living room. It's only a 12'X20' room. From what I've seen, 1500 dollar-plus amps are typically around 80 to 100 watts per channel and more. Seems like anything more...
  7. Napalm Tom

Thank you. Wish I had discovered this forum weeks ago. I am retired and the last time I dabbled in high fidelity was the late seventies. A familiar audio world to me filled with friendly separate components - amp/preamp/equalizer and a variety of physical audio sources - turntable, reel to reel...
  8. Napalm Tom

Interesting. The amp and speakers are brand new and still within the return policy window. Sounds like I need to retrace my steps on the basics and return them to do more research. Thanks. Actually it sounds like I needed to start with discovering this forum before making my amp and speakers...
  9. Napalm Tom

I've read just enough about DACs, your response actually made sense to me. Thanks for your input, I think I will earmark that money for something else. Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I'm pretty happy with the KEF T301 speakers, so not likely I would improve there, but now you gave...
  10. Napalm Tom

Before posting, I did do a forum search specific to my Emotiva amp paired with an external DAC and found no topic related.
  11. Napalm Tom

Hello, newbie here and newbie (again) to hi fidelity. Separate from my 7.1 home theater system, I invested in an Emotiva BasX TA1 Integrated amplifier, SVS SB-1000 Pro Subwoofer, and a pair of KEF 301 speakers for my music listening. The only audio source connected to it and the only source I...
Top Bottom